Quitting Weed Advice / Success Stories

Hi guys, I’m 22 years old and I’ve smoked weed every day for 5 years Non stop, I can’t remember a day when I wasn’t stoned. I just finished the rest of my bag and I’ve decided I need to quit because I’ve lost a lot of friends and my job due to my addiction but I feel like I need some advice and motivation from people who have quit it. All of my friends and the people around me smoke and I have no one to turn to for advice. Any comments appreciated greatly thank you!

7 Likes

Hey bro I’m a long time smoker from Australia. I’ve been addicted to weed since I was 14. If you have a high tolerance I think you can still be a fully functional contributing member to society. But it’s still terrible for your health, it’s expensive, antisocial to an extent and stinks like shit.

Do you really want to be a stoner for the rest of your life? I’m down to my last 2 grams. I have plenty of money at the moment and I pretty much want to stop just like you.

4 Likes

When did you start your timer?

2 Likes

I was a heavy smoker for many years. All day everyday. I ended up quitting actually kind of by chance. There was a family health emergency that had me moving out of my apartment and into a family member’s house for about 2 months. I was so busy helping out with that stuff that I wasn’t able to smoke in that time. Once everything resolved, I went back to my apartment and smoked again, but my tolerance had gone way down and I ended up having a major panic attack. Almost every time after that was anxiety and panic ridden. So I eventually just stopped when I cut out the alcohol cause it had ceased being any fun.

Obviously I wouldn’t recommend inducing some sort of emergency but perhaps getting out of your typical routine. First put all your pieces away- get rid of them, toss any stash you have remaining, sign up for some kind of class or workout or something to keep you busy, especially in the evenings. The first few weeks is the hardest part, it gets easier after that. And take melatonin so you can sleep!

5 Likes

I’m one year almost two months fully sober from cannabis and a bit longer from alcohol. I’m 25 years old and smoked chronically since age 14. Some of the effects from my smoking were poranoid delusions, crippling anxiety, lethargy, short term memory loss, extended illness (flu, bronchitis etc- with bloody septum), brown septum, police arrests, lack of drive, and financial dismay… my life now that I’m sober is so much better. Getting clean was hard I got clean after three months without a drink in AA, through going to NA meetings. A lot of prayer. First two weeks of withdrawals I had night sweats and night terrors, that was hard. I couldn’t stop for one day before I managed to stop until now… I’m the first 8 months I saved $800 a month from my combined drug and alcohol habits, my financial state is repaired, my anxiety I’m more balance, my paranoia has greatly lessened, my health has mostly repaired… My life is so much better now and I want to commit to a life of sobriety… having a higher power in Jesus and praying every day helped me. Finding self love by working on myself, in the gym or with a career path or in AA and NA. There is hope.

6 Likes

Also I stayed entirely away from all using associates. One day at a time doing the next right thing just one day at a time one foot after the other.

3 Likes

I haven’t smoked in about 940 days, quit smoking weed a week before I could give up the booze.

What really helped me was the situation I was in, I couldn’t waste any more of my life with paranoia, the financial stress of smoking upwards of 45 bucks a day. I was ready for a change. Started hitting meetings and living sober, learning how to chill without any chemicals in me, being happy that I was sober, gaining gratitude to replace that fear of missing out.

You don’t need weed to relax, to connect, to eat, to sleep, to blend in, to shop, to do literally anything. You don’t need that monkey on your back.

Welcome to talking sober, weed ain’t no bullshit, some people might not see it as a “problem” but it sure can shit on your life once you get addicted.

4 Likes

That’s it really awesome response

2 Likes

Im 33. Was heavy smoker since 15 till about i hit 31. When i was younger i thought i’d never be able to quit. I thought weed was helping my stress, anxiety, mood for sure. On shitty day at work it was the only cure ive reached out to calm down and relax. Till one day…

Another shite day, came home and got stoned as usual. What happend next was crucial for quiting. I got so terrible panic attack that i thought i was dying. That it was my last moment on earth. That this is it, my times over. Kids, wife, parents, their all went through my eyes. Rushed to hospital praying, and promised myself if i survive its time for change. And it was, change began from next day. I think someone up there was looking after me. Shortly after started therapy, quit all my addictions including alcohol abusing.
And Im grateful to be still alive :grin:

4 Likes

Also I forgot smoking gave me severe heart palpitations. I thought I was destined for stroke or heart attack. Wouldn’t be suprised if I had either and played it off.

Glad it didn’t mate!

2 Likes

https://emj.bmj.com/content/22/9/679

1 Like

Evidence of cardiovascular damage in users. Great reason to stay stopped.

Hi man, thank you so much for your reply! I’m from the UK, I started my timer 12 hours ago and although that doesn’t sound like much, it is for me. I work as an accountant and have been a fully functioning member of society whilst smoking, the reason I’ve decided to quit is because I can’t help but think that I’m constantly in a haze of tiredness and dizziness and I feel like I’m missing out on so much because of it. I would love to see where I’d be now without the habit and there’s only one way to find out what we have all been missing out on, and that’s to quit the stuff for good!! I wish you all the best with your journey BPD.

4 Likes

Thanks so much Danielle. It’s really comforting to know it is doable, from someone who has quit themselves. I kinda wish there was some sort of crisis that could take me away from it all for a while. I’m 13 hours in but all these comments are helping me carry on. I know sleep will be a massive issue for me so I will try to get my hands on some melatonin. Thanks again for sharing with me I appreciate it so much. All the best with your life free from the weed, I hope to join you soon!!

1 Like

Thank you Duncan, that is really encouraging for me since I experience most of them side effects listed, I can’t wait for those to go away! I bet it’s an amazing feeling. I think I need a hobby to keep my mind distracted and keep me away from my old friends who are all chronic users too, I’m going to look into a gym membership today to keep me sane in the evenings. Thanks again for sharing you may not ever meet me but your words just might change my life.

1 Like

Stay in touch mate

2 Likes

Thank you for the awesome words my friend, I know you’re right and I can feel it already, it’s holding me back and I can’t wait for all the things I’ve been missing out on to come back. I think meetings would help I’ve been considering them for a while now, I’m just quite nervous to attend one and that’s probably due to me being high all the time. But this forum has made me realise how motivating sharing experiences is so thank you

2 Likes

Thank you man, I’m happy for your success and it motivates me to do the same and get rid of this addiction. Part of me has been waiting for a similar scare to push me on the right track but I’m going to try and kick the weed before that happens, I’ve had pass outs and trown up from my use many times and I guess that should be enough to put me off for good!

1 Like

I will bro, you do too, we can all do this one day at a time!

3 Likes