Ready for change

I am an alcoholic. I need to make changes to prevent losing everything in my life. I have had a drinking problem since high school, my dad is also an alcoholic, actually when I think about it, just about all the influential men from my childhood were alcoholics. In my family not drinking is seen as something is not right. I spent 8 years in the Army after high school, that’s where the “professional” drinking began. I guess I would be considered a high functioning alcoholic, I’ve been able to maintain my job, but my family life is really starting to suffer. I’m a pretty private person and hold in a lot of my emotions, so this is not easy to put myself out here on a forum like this. I’m ready to change and I know I can’t do it alone. Here’s to day 1 of sobriety.

15 Likes

Welcome to your sobriety and welcome here friend. Congrats on becoming sober. I’m glad you found this place which can be a big help in your sober journey. You’re amongst equals here. Come here often. Read. Learn. Share. Comment. Support. Be supported. So many of us here together. We can’t do it alone but together we can. Happy to have you aboard, now let’s do this! Success.

1 Like

Hi there and welcome 🙋
This app has helped me a lot. I was just looking for a day counter and when I had it I discovered the forum :grin: It’s nice to have people who really understand what addiction is.
Tomorrow I’m 16 months sober, I’m addicted to alcohol. I’m here a lot, because it helps a lot!

Hope to see you around often!

3 Likes

Welcome! I am an alcoholic and the daughter of an alcoholic also. I found al-anon to be a very helpful tool in my early sobriety days. Congratulations on your decision for a better life. This forum has been a great tool to add to my toolbox. Blessings to you.

2 Likes

Congratulations on 16 months

1 Like

Hi, I’m Remington and I’m addicted to methamphetamine. I have been sober going on 11 days now. I downloaded this app hoping that its going to help me. Ive been slowly reading through so many people’s stories and some are just amazing! One day I hope to be up to being 3 months or even 3 weeks clean. Its hard a lot harder than I thought it would be. What makes it worse for me is that I moved and dont know anyone so I don’t exactly have anyone at all to talk to about my addiction or to help me work thorugh it. So I’m hoping that someone on this app knows the same addiction as me and hopefully would be willing to help work through struggle together.

3 Likes

Welcome! Read everything you can on this site and you will see your attitude change. You will feel better slowly but surely.

1 Like

Welcome! Our story is very similar. I have been coming here a while and all of these guys are great. They very understanding but honest , and want to help.
I’m on day one as well. Let’s support each other!!!

1 Like

Hello. I have been addicted to alcohol too,I was a functioning alcoholic but the cracks got bigger, emotions won’t kill you… alcohol would .lots of support here on TS…(i joined a year or so ago).break on through to the other side…!..it’s quite a lovely life actually.:pray::rainbow::grin::blush::wink::sparkles:. day 42 for myself.good luck on your journey.:four_leaf_clover:

Welcome to this wonderful forum @Time4me2change and @RemiMiller. There’s so much great information and amazing people to help you along this journey. I hit 6 months today and there’s no way I could have done it without this place. I suggest reading as much as you can and interact with others. Join us on the daily check in thread, it’s a great form of accountability. Here’s the link:
Checking in daily to maintain focus #9

2 Likes