Really hard to keep sober around people drinking

Hi all,

I’ve been sober for couple days now and I’m really struggling with not having a drink.

My friends are about to arrive home for a dinner party and Inbough wine for them and Inshaking tonnot have the wine. Infeel so weak and low. What the fuck is wrong with me .

Anyone else ever found themselves in this situation?

Wary,

Ziggy

5 Likes

Nothing wrong with you. A few days sober and a wine party is going to be extremely difficult. That’s the kind of challenge that really should be avoided if at all possible. Now you are in this situation, keep af drinks to hand constantly, finish the party asap, and get your friends to take leftovers home. And don 't have any boozy parties for a while.

7 Likes

I feel you!! Commenting to increase support.

Physically run away and go get a nice coffee or soda or ice cream drink if you have to. There are so many options that are not alcoholic! I have been keeping seltzer and fruit juice around and mixing them in different combinations which has been awesome for summer. My favorite was watermelon seltzer and tart cherry juice.

Its so normal to be struggling with it. Youre running your own race. Make sure they take the wine home with you and if they are friends worth buying food for they wont expect you to provide them with booze again.

Comment back on this thread if you get tempted! We are rooting for you and you will be ok.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for all the support. I got through it!
It was easier than I thought. I kept a sparkling water with lemon at hand all the time and it was easy.

I really want to thank from the bottom of my heart the support and messages.

Xoxo :heart::pray:t2:

9 Likes

I’m happy for you you kept your sobriety through this situation. However, it’s not productive to expose yourself like this. You’re whiteknuckling through temptation - but true recovery needs focussed and conscious work on yourself and the reasons you drink.

Maybe this thread will be interesting for you
Why would you “test” your sobriety?

And this hopefully even more:
Resources for our recovery
Advice for the Newcomer and Constant Relapser

Wish you the best! No more wine parties! :rainbow:

1 Like

So glad to hear it. But, you dodged a bullet. I would suggest no more alcohol focused parties until well settled in sobriety. And to be honest, once well settled in sobriety, you probably won’t want alcohol focused parties.

1 Like

Thank you :pray:t2::heart::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Love a good pun!

1 Like

This works for me. Theirs a drink here jn brazil thats called baermatte which is a fizzy option of a matte tea and comes in a can or like a beer long neck and it really does the job because matte tea gives you energy and so you can enjoy the night.

1 Like

Yup. Its 100% worth it for me to get sodas, lemonades, nice coffee creamers, etc. This summer is about seltzer/fruit juice combinations. Something about a tasty, refreshing drink to sip on.

3 Likes