Recovery Dharma Thread

Sigh. I was just having a look on the meetings available. I am happy I can easily see them in outlook when I select it. Yet, the first and last time I was asked to speak. I cannot. I just want to listen. But the groups seem to be too small to be overseen. Sigh. Ahhh.

4 Likes

Hey friend! I joined a few different meetings online before I found one that I would call “home group” (in my old hometown - 8hrs away). We have 3 meetings a week - all online, and one is hybrid - in-person for those who live in town and online for those of us afar - spread out around North America. Especially at the hybrid mtg - there can 15 in person and 15 online, or 8 people total. No rhyme or reason. No matter which meeting I joined, you can always keep your camera off, put “just listening” beside your name, or write in the chat that you prefer not to speak.

It’s always a balance - some people are hesitant to speak up unless they are invited to, like I was at first. The invitation to speak I think is only meant to make you feel comfortable to do so. At the same time, if you’re not, it should be just fine to type that into the chat and leave your camera off.

Of course - in saying all that, I don’t mean to minimize if your experience was not a positive one! It might be a bit like TS, in that it takes us all a little while to find our threads/grooves, how much we share/don’t, etc. In the end, we each get to find what works best for our recovery and leave the rest, hey? :orange_heart:

3 Likes

Thank you Emm. It’s a good idea to put it behind my name. I’ll try it next time. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

I discovered something very poignant this evening about craving, this time from a scientific perspective. You may know it already but I thought I’d share….

When we ‘crave’ it is our mind desiring a dopamine hit. Whatever our addiction might be, just the thought of taking that drink or hit or whatever, creates dopamine in the brain and floods our physiology. Dopamine makes us happy and is similar to endorphins.

With this knowledge and when I next crave, I’ll remind myself of this and be present with the dopamine elevation, sit with it and then instead choose to pursue increasing my endorphins in that moment - by eating, exercising, connecting, being creative or doing something new. These also increase dopamine / endorphin levels.

It was a bit of an ‘aha moment’ discovering that…

10 Likes

Its a great aha moment!!

6 Likes

Yes!!! This is such a huge realization…and I remember thinking, why didn’t I ever get it before. It seems so simple, but it was knowledge definitely out of reach for me, until it wasn’t.

:purple_heart:

5 Likes

‘It seems so simple, but it was knowledge definitely out of reach for me, until it wasn’t.’ You’ve summed it up perfectly! Every step of the journey has brought me to this point, and it feels as though I’m finally connecting absolutely everything - the trauma, the healing, the reasons why, the solutions - and being grateful for it all :two_hearts:

4 Likes

Yes to this…that moment when it makes sense, the fog lifts and you can finally see the path. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

So beautifully said and always good to see you. :heart:

2 Likes

@Juli1

This thread might intresr you…i havent kept up with it as I had planned too…but…here it is

2 Likes

Absolutely! Thanks a lot :cherry_blossom:

2 Likes

I’ll join you on this way, downloaded the book and I’ll start reading this evening :blush:
I’m very interested in Buddhism so this might fit :heart:

3 Likes

Can’t wait to hear your thoughts!

3 Likes

I am taking a few of myvAA friends to a Recovery Dharma meeting this week. I am excited to hear their thoughts.

4 Likes

40 pages flew by like nothing, I love it!
I knew that this time I have to go within to help myself with my problem, I just didn’t know how to.
This feels right :heart:

5 Likes

It does!!! Glad it is helping! Feel free to add anything here you wish.

3 Likes

We read from “Wise Action” tonight:
We need to continually reflect on and question the intentions behind our actions. We may have moments of clarity, but these can quickly pass, when old habits or thinking resurfaces.

My “old thinking” resurfaces a lot, and it seems to be the precursor to any unskilled or harmful actions. I’m just grateful I’m starting to recognize this now. Thoughts used to almost “land” in my mind as the truth, and my response to dealing with a lot of them was to head to the wine rack or liquor store. Now?
I’m also grateful it really doesn’t have to be as complicated as I make it. Let’s hear it for 3 deep breaths! Or mini-meditations on Insight Timer. Or a cup of tea or coffee. Or even a round or two of Wordle. :orange_heart:

5 Likes

Every page, a gem…

7 Likes

Hi :wave:t2: @Thirdmonkey
and all others joyning your thread!

I started my journey with the book " Buddhism & the Twelve Steps Daily Reflections: Thoughts on Dharma and Recovery" by Kevin Griffin. Also have the recovery dharma standard book as they recommend for the meetings.

I am a beginner.
I think it’s good, that it is structured for daily reflection and rituals like meditation, to stay on track.

Never understood the point of "not having control / being powerless ", but now I do…
As a perspective of much lower pressure on my journey of sobriety.

I am powerless about my addictions, but not whether I pick up a drink (or other addictive stuff) or not. One breath at a time. :woman_in_lotus_position:t2:

On Wednesday i will joyn a german online meeting in english language :woman_technologist:t2::busts_in_silhouette::busts_in_silhouette:

Thank you for the recommendation…
I will keep you updated about my journey. :hugs:

7 Likes

I think i will buy that book! Let us know how it goes

3 Likes