Recovery Dharma Thread

I just went to my first meeting (8pm uk time LA meeting) ; there was 38 in that one!! Really lovely; I feel like I could get somewhere better with recovery dharma🙏

7 Likes

Yay!!! That is good to hear! I hope you add to this thread!

4 Likes

I just ordered a Dharma book thanks to this thread. I think it’ll be a perfect addition to my current recovery program :pray:

6 Likes

I cant wait to hear what you think!!!

2 Likes

A wise friend has suggested i go back over the meditation chapter in the recovery dharma book. I did, and meditated.

I am carving time, every day for this and being more mindful about making sure I do this.

Today was good.

5 Likes

from “Recovery Dharma: How to Use Buddhist Practices and Principles to Heal the Suffering of Addiction” by Recovery Dharma -

“and if we’re aware of the true intention and the nature of our actions, then we’ll see better results—better meaning less suffering and less harm.”

Settinf in this tonight, as it stuck out.

4 Likes

For me it was the lovingkindness meditation we did last night. The one from the book, we’ve done it plenty of times before.

We start by offering lovingkindness to ourselves, “because without loving ourselves it is almost impossible to love others.” This part in particular stood out for me last night: “Feelings contrary to lovingkindness, like irritation, anger, or doubt, may come up for you. If this happens, be patient with yourself, allowing whatever happens to be received in a spirit of kindness….”

There were a couple really hard days last week, combined with the sadness of my neighbour (whom I’d only met, but still) dying of an overdose. I didn’t like any of it, any of the feelings. I could hardly even name them. Started to tell myself my old mantra of “I suck at life.” I have longggg practiced judging my feelings and then numbing them.

But sitting in them, without giving over to them or running from them or judging - just letting them come and then go. With kindness, even! Who knew?

Makes sense though that I can’t do it for others if I can’t do it for myself. I think this is one of the beauties of recovery. We do it together, we bear witness to this process in each other. Grateful. :orange_heart:

7 Likes

This is exactly why I’m trying recovery dharma :raised_hands:t3::two_hearts:

6 Likes

I have been trying for ages to do a online meeting on zoom and nothing, not sure if its them or me.

1 Like

I have always had troublecwith zooms…i assume its me.

1 Like

Yeah i am starting to think it is me

1 Like

Maybe find the zoome thread andcask those folks some questions? I am lucky i got a few meetings around me.

2 Likes

Will do thanks

1 Like

@Behnam70

Just thought you might want to check out this thread.

Gosh I’ve just had a truly meaningful recovery dharma meeting; very deep meditation (I am tired today and almost nodded off at points but it helped to keep me focused on the meditation!) I shared very carefully from my true self to the sangha. I have struggled for two decades to share in meetings because I haven’t understood my emotions so I just didn’t know what was correct to share. With recovery dharma and daily practise for the last 4 days has been deeply moving. Emotional and allowing those emotions to pass through.

I am going to be very careful and compassionate to myself ( I understand what this means now!) the rest of the evening, and slowly proceed my journey :raised_hands:t3::heart::raised_hands:t3::pray::heart::raised_hands:t3::heart::pray::raised_hands:t3:

So glad to be here :person_in_lotus_position:

6 Likes

I am glad you found us and the meeting!

3 Likes

I have been learning and coming to realise that “nothing is certain”, and “everything is impermanent”. It is the most sure thing I am coming to understand, and the wierd thing is I feel very secure with that knowledge/truth! I often have thought that I have to “commit” to myself, or the program/fellowship, or a relationship…… and that has always felt to me something that I can never do “forever” because it seemed permanent. :grin::grin: I am not fond of the word commitment, I think it reminds me of when I was “committed” to a mental institution… :pray::heart::pray:

7 Likes

Isn’t human nature funny in some ways? I didn’t meditate regularly because I was feeling good.
Thanks for the reminder :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Gonna do it every day again.

4 Likes

I am not good at it…as far as approaching it daily. I run hard from the time i get up to the time I go to bed. I havecto make time for it.

4 Likes

This! I’m really good at numbing my feelings, not only with drugs. Sitting there, letting all the feelings flood you that need to be felt: priceless.
Exhausting sometimes, but the feeling after: awesome :heart:

6 Likes