Recovery Dharma Thread

And how long is this camping trip anyway? I feel like you have been out there for weeks! Is this a new annual thing? :thinking:

2 Likes

It’s a 10 day trip. Today is our last full day, tomorrow we pack up and go home…Wed back to work.

2 Likes

We try to go every month. Our next trip is at the end of month. We are going to a Chris Stapleton concert. We found a campground fairly close.

2 Likes

Hi Sir. Apples to oranges but I share similar experiences with my own mother who is an incredible alcoholic. I’m in my 50’s and I tried everything possible (avoidance, confrontation, tough love, etc…). to make my experiences better. The thought of trying to mentally disarm her would be comical because it would just get her to double down on her bullshit.

I have resigned myself to just tolerate (while constantly reciting the serenity prayer in my head) her and her bullshit and mostly just limit my interactions with her.

Whether it’s a good time or a bad time, it will come to an end…

On an aside, I saw you Mackinaw Island photos. We love that place. Are you camping in Northern Michigan?

2 Likes

Does the camping involve everyone every month? Or do you get some private camping time as well? If not, then my thought is, it is time to set up some more private camping adventures. No need to subject yourselves to such unpleasantness unnecessarily.

3 Likes

Just north of Mount Pleasent. An easy 2 hour drive to Mackinac island

It does not. Long story short…Ms. Monkey’s ex absolutely loathed her side of the family…along comes me…and now she wants to do everything together. Which I am fine with. Her sister is a neat lady with a Texas size heart.

I think our camping trip in September will include them…its just a 4 day trip…I can do 4 days

1 Like

That is what I think would happen here

Very cool! Pretty much in my backyard. Enjoy the 4th and I hope you can find some peace today. :facepunch:t3::peace_symbol:

1 Like

from “The Places That Scare You: A Guide to Fearlessness in Difficult Times (Shambhala Classics)” by Pema Chödrön -

“THE ESSENCE OF BRAVERY is being without self-deception. However, it’s not so easy to take a straight look at what we do. Seeing ourselves clearly is initially uncomfortable and embarrassing. As we train in clarity and steadfastness, we see things we’d prefer to deny—judgmentalness, pettiness, arrogance. These are not sins but temporary and workable habits of mind. The more we get to know them, the more they lose their power. This is how we come to trust that our basic nature is utterly simple, free of struggle between good and bad.”

This weekend has been a study in this for me. Ms. Monkey and I talked about this while we had some alone time. She is ready to kill an old man…next trip is with them is in August. Will keep working in the mean time.

On a side note…camp is all cleaned up, just gotta have breakfast, dump the tanks in the morning and head home.

5 Likes

…temporary and workable habits of mind.

wow. thank you! i needed that one today. :orange_heart:

2 Likes

Was trying to post this last night :point_down: but my wifi was being goofy.

This was my task yesterday, and will be still today… My emotions, today, don’t feel insubstantial in nature. Grateful for Pema. :orange_heart:

5 Likes

One of the first things I realized in sobriety, and I really dont know if I could put it into words…at it’s what you just showed us. Feel the feelings, feel emotions. Fighting them, subduing them just doesnt work

3 Likes

from “The Places That Scare You: A Guide to Fearlessness in Difficult Times (Shambhala Classics)” by Pema Chödrön -

“We are all children of the Great Spirit, we all belong to Mother Earth. Our planet is in great trouble and if we keep carrying old grudges and do not work together, we will all die. —CHIEF SEATTLE”

Watched the news…then cracked open the book…stopped at this quote.

So very true…the grudges I hold, one on one…impact everyone…

5 Likes

Thank you. Any insights would be welcomed, if so inclined.

2 Likes

100% agree. I sacrifice one, the other is surely lost

4 Likes

I have done zero online meetings…I go to an in person meeting once a week.

1 Like

For me, there are 3 that are drivable…40ish minutes away…worth the drive

2 Likes

I live in a relatively remote location in Canada - the closest in-person mtg would be about a 5hr drive away. I joined a Recovery Dharma group (Sangha) that meets online 3 times each week - in a city in my province 9hrs away - and it’s working really well for me.

I have also joined other online mtgs when I need to - pretty much anywhere in North America - and I’m always welcomed. :orange_heart:

3 Likes

It’s been a doozy of a week. Lots of fodder happened that my mind took and ran with, writing all kinds of stories about what a hopeless case of a human I am. Thankfully - I had some supports to turn to, got myself out of the shame-storm. Then a meeting last night that couldn’t have been more suited to what I needed: a lovingkindness meditation and Wise Mindfulness reading.

From Recovery Dharma:
Mindfulness is being aware of whatever is present, noticing it, and letting it pass (p.43).

[Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know all this, I thought to myself. Then this :point_down:]

Most of us have been conditioned to be our own harshest critic from early on, especially during our fixations on substances and behaviors. We carry the shadow of that judge with us, even as we seek recovery, giving ourselves negative feedback and scrutinizing every effort we make, holding ourselves to impossible standards of perfection. Letting go of that inner critic allows us to be mindful in the present of the efforts we are making, mindful of the compassion and lovingkindness we’re learning to make a part of our practice and our lives. Remember that we often talk way more harshly to ourselves than we ever would to somebody else. It’s useful to notice when we’re treating ourselves too harshly, and then shift attention to what we are doing well. We can acknowledge the negative thought, and then gently let it go. (p.45)

Applying mindfulness to the present, to let go of the inner critic, will take some work. Sure beats the alternative… :orange_heart:

5 Likes