Recovery Dharma: TS Sangha

I think / feel this exact way too. It’s very surreal when I read your words siand as I often feel like you’ve written exactly what I am currently thinking and feeling.

1 Like

And that is the power of sharing! Thank you for saying so, I sometimes feel like I am always moaning but these points of connection are so important, to remember that we are not alone! :pray: :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Wanted to share a reflection from today’s meeting.

Something that often comes up in recovery and general wellbeing stuff is the idea of ‘giving back’. Today we went through a bit of the section on Wise Intention and there was a particular bit that jumped out at me (p.26):

I have so often found that ‘giving back’ has become quite a negative thing for me. If I look at my intentions honestly, I can see that it has come from a place of inadequacy and seeking validation, of trying to define myself by my actions. It’s ended in a lot of over-commitment, burn out and resentment.

I have mentioned this elsewhere but it feels relevant to say it again here - I’ve noticed that as I’ve let go of the things that I was doing to live up to this image of myself I’d created, to impress some imaginary audience, I’ve started to realise the things that I have to offer. Nothing particularly unique to me, just the basic human capacity for kindness. The ability to be a friend, to be happy for the people I care about, etc. So the above definition of generosity really resonated with me today.

3 Likes

It’s been great reading throught this thread again, the conversation regarding the 4 Noble Truths book work especially. I too felt completely overwhelmed when I approached it. Good to hear that I am not alone. I feel a bit more confident now, but I know I shouldn’t go head first into after a long break from regular meditation and reading. It’ll be too overwhelming. So I’m going to re-read the book and ease back into daily meditation by completing the 21 days of calm again. Started this morning and already feel better for it.

Have a good day all :+1:

2 Likes

Still easing my way back into a regular meditation routine. I enjoyed this conversation this morning.

Does anyone have any experience with RD’s Wise Friends / Mentor concept? I feel like an accountability partner / mentor would be a great benefit, but I am not sure how it works in this space.

1 Like

Hey Drew sorry for my late reply. I have been slacking on my meditation practice. I know there is a Facebook group where people can link up with potential mentors… But I would like to try and start working through the inquiries and my local group is a bit low on numbers at the moment and its hard to find someone to connect with. So maybe we could try and revamp a TS Sangha.

I was thinking about starting a new thread for 2021, if people are interested (@Hailstrom @CATMANCAM @RosaCanDo @Maria @Salty @EarnIt @anon86726034 @claire-lo @anon74766472 @emc2018 @Mno @LeeHawk @RetainKingII @Sober_Ninja @JackStraw @TSan - you have all dropped a comment here so just checking in but no worries if its not for you right now!). And of course open to all other forum members too :hugs:

I facilitate a Tuesday meeting on Zoom @ 13:00 GMT - today! We are just nearly finished the book and will restart it again in the next week or two so it is good timing for me to revive the idea of a TS Sangha, if others are interested.

Potential formats (feedback or other suggestions welcome):

• join in the Tuesday meetings if its convenient, I will post a link to the meditation and section of the book covered and people can do it when it fits with them through the week and post their shares here.

• set up a new zoom meeting just for TS, with a link to the meditation and book posted for those who can’t make it and share here

• something else!

Then we could use the thread on the open forum for general shares, comments, links to interesting Buddhist resources etc. And set up a private message thread to go through the inquiries in more depth, together or with a particular person if that feels more comfortable.

Thoughts?

10 Likes

I’m super interested and don’t know what my level of involvement can be at the moment but starting in September I’ll have more time (and my arm back).

2 Likes

That’s great to hear :hugs:

Well if I get a thread started you can dip in and out as it suits you over the summer :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

Sounds great to me!

2 Likes

I like the idea a lot but not sure I have the time and headspace to really get involved right now. I’d like to try though.

3 Likes

Personally I would prefer to continue with the Tuesday zoom meetings and have others join as they are able, over setting up a new meeting. Just easier for me as that’s something I already do, and don’t have to try and fit a new thing in!

For what it’s worth, I haven’t been doing daily meditation for a while but have still been getting something out of going through a little bit of the book each week. Of course if you wanted to do the inquiry etc then that is more time consuming, but again I have been doing RD since last autumn and not done that side of it properly yet :blush:

1 Like

Link for new thread here ICYMI:

3 Likes

I’m keen! I hit a wall when it came to the step work before, and then it slipped off the radar. I would like to give it another shot tho. And a bit of inspiration when it comes to meditation practice is always welcome.

Unfortunately the current meeting clashes with a work commitment I can’t change. If a meeting were arranged for a different time i’d get involved.

I think starting a fresh thread is a good idea :+1:

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the pointers, @siand! I would definitely be interested in joining a new TS sangha. I agree with you that continuing with the Tuesday zooms is probably the best idea.

1 Like

I’m interested in joining @siand, although being in Australia, I’m not sure what time that would be here … the zoom meeting that is. I will have to look it up, haha. Times may not work out… if not, I’d still like to be part of the thread and readings :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’d be interested.

1 Like

I think it would start from 9 - 11pm depending which part of Oz you’re in :hugs:

2 Likes

This is me, too. I have graduates and 75th birthday parties, and am selling a house.

Look for me in September!

2 Likes