Recovery Dharma: TS Sangha

Recovery Dharma is a peer-led movement that uses the Buddhist practices of meditation, self-inquiry, wisdom, compassion, and community as tools for recovery and healing. The program is based on the idea that every one of us is our own guide in recovery from addiction, with the help and understanding of our wise friends and sangha (community).

Adapted from the Recovery Dharma website: www.recoverydharma.org

This thread is being created with the intention of discussing the Recovery Dharma book and offer support to anyone working through it. It is not intended to replace meetings, as there are many already taking place, nor is attendance at meetings a necessary part of engaging here. A regular meditation practice, or the intention of cultivating one, is essential.

There are lots of sources for meditation inspiration, including in the Recovery Dharma book and on the Sangha Support page of the Recovery Dharma website.

Refuge does not arise in a particular place, but in the space within the goodness of our hearts. When this space is imbued with wisdom, respect, and love, we call it sangha. We hope that the pain of addiction, trauma, and feeling “apart” actually leads us back toward the heart and that we might understand compassion, wisdom, and change ever more deeply. As we have learned from practice, great pain does not erase goodness, but in fact informs it.

May we make the best use of our practice, and whatever freedom arises from our efforts here today. May this be a cause and condition for less suffering and more safety in our world.

31 Likes

One of the things I really like about Recovery Dharma is the description of addiction:

"We understand addiction to describe the overwhelming craving and use of substances of behaviours to escape present-time reality, either by clinging to pleasure or running from pain."

This is something I have been able to relate to as it challenged my former view of addiction as physical dependency.

It also makes it easier for me to access the program, despite the fact that drinking is not part of my life now. Being sober hasn’t stopped me wanting to escape my present-time reality and in some cases has made me more aware of things I’d like to escape from!

19 Likes

Thanks for giving me some incentive Siand. I’m going to give the book a go. And renew my attempts at meditating.

5 Likes

I am working on my meditation practice, remembering that meditating can take many forms! Turning a walk into a walking meditation, focusing on the breath, sights and sounds has been helpful for me when I haven’t managed to start my day with a sitting meditation.

Also finding that the inquiry process is quite complementary to CBT, although my therapist is off at the moment, but I’m looking forward to talking with her about it next week.

9 Likes

Dank je :vulcan_salute:

1 Like

That is my favourite meditation. Even when I’m out navigating between checkpoints there are periods where I slip into a mediative state. Engage in my environment, the sights and sounds.
It feels peaceful and serene.

6 Likes

What I’ve read on TS from others describing Recovery Dharma has resonated and I am excited to explore this more. I have practiced some sitting meditation but more so have sought to find meditative states in everyday activities, as you’ve described, through observation and by focusing on the senses. I’ll start reading today and look forward to this thread. Thanks.

8 Likes

Lovely stuff!! Hello TS Sangha :grin::wave:

6 Likes

I just picked up this book! I’m excited to start reading and discussing it here! It will also be good for me to start meditating again. It really helped with my anxiety in the past.

4 Likes

This sounds like it might be the kind of program I am looking for. Can anyone tell me if this is the right book/audiobook?

2 Likes

nice, thank you for starting this. I am part of the recovery dharma facebook group and was thinking on reaching out there for a sponsor. love the approach as well also as it relates to my yoga practice.
In times when I am knee deep in my ptsd meditation is not safe place for me but as you say my walk in nature or cooking, cleaning etc can be meditation as well.
With emotions and aggression sky high here in the Netherlands (but suppose lots of places) due to the pandemic. I decided last week to focus all my classes on the theme of heart openers starting of and ending class with a basis buddhist loving kindness / compassion meditation.
The heartfelt reactions I got… :heart: Lots of tears and happy soft faces after class.
We all need some equanimity in our hearts and minds, especially now, to deal with the turmoil when we step off the mat into life.
Wanted to share this as it touched me and have to also keep reminding myself of the beauty of being able to sit in front of a class has to offer me, a thing I can only do when I live a clean and sober life, not a perfect one, but one with an intention for purity.

lokah samastah sukhino bhavantu

Namaste you all!
I will be reading and following this thread and your findings!

5 Likes

hey, the owner threw it in the bin :wink:

1 Like

nee, stond melding dat eigenaar hem naar de prullenmand verplaatst had…
zo goed vond je het boek dan misschien toch niet hahaha

Yes, I have recently downloaded this on Audible :slight_smile: I’ve also purchased a copy from Amazon, as it was suggested it might be helpful to have a hard copy and there are meditations at the back (I think… I just received it the other day, so I look forward to digging into it!)
You can also go on the RD website and download a copy of the book.

2 Likes

Thank you. I’ve just bought the Kindle book. Will take a look at the website too. :blush:

1 Like

Yes, this part jumped out at me too, and I appreciate your take on it. I have problems with present-time reality, acceptance, living in the moment. I’m a chronic worrier. I ruminate. Which leads to anxiety. I’m really looking forward to getting a regular pattern of meditation going and I know that seeing everyone on this thread will be inspiring.

Another part that jumped out at me was this:

The idea of having this exagerated sensitivity to disatisfaction with life , where it’s totally intrusive and stops any real progress. I feel that.

11 Likes

Love this thread! Thanks @siand :pray::sparkles: there’s also a podcast on Spotify dedicated to Refuge Recovery (dharma), here’s a link https://open.spotify.com/show/4GrK8Bqg8yAfcMWmGHkx8J?si=AifwXDkqQGOmF26_A_u9RA
:blush:

2 Likes

@Maria Met chrome kreeg ik dezelfde melding als Maria. Met firefox lukte het wel. Raar maar waar,

1 Like

The podcast looks great :+1:

1 Like

ahh. zal dat het zijn. ik heb maar 1 browser. zal eens kijken of ik dat anders kan doen. dank. @Mno

1 Like