Recovery Quote of the Day

Glad to hear life is good Paul. The quiet state of serenity… Blessings on your house as well my friend. :heart:

4 Likes

August 22nd

"If you’re never scared or embarrassed or hurt, it means you never take any chances."
–Julia Sorrel–

One of the incredible benefits the program provides, is the courage to live our dreams. We used to have fears of failure or some other impediment to living a full life, so we were paralyzed into inaction. As recovering alcoholics, we get a second chance at life - a whole life do-over! We are so blessed to be able to live more than one life in one lifetime, and a second life sober is filled with endless opportunities and possibilities. “God’s greatest gift is unconditional love, but his greatest promise is unlimited potential.” Wayne Gretzky, arguably the greatest hockey player of all time, once said, “100% of the shots you don’t take, miss.” You can’t succeed unless you try. It is so encouraging to know that no matter what, whether we fail or succeed, we will have the loving support of those in the fellowship to fall back on. I’m quite certain I would not have had the courage to pursue my dreams if not for uncovering, discovering, and discarding the things that kept me trapped in low self esteem and self doubt. We don’t have to be great to start, but we have to start to be great. Without question, I owe a huge debt of gratitude to the program for everything I am and have today. :heart:

Have a beautiful day in sobriety my friends.

3 Likes

Wow, that’s a really good one. I needed that. Edit: July 10th.

1 Like

Glad you liked it @Asenath I hope it helps shed some light on what we go through in recovery. :heart:

1 Like

Blessing Mr Ed.

3 Likes

Your posts always giving me a boost…
Thank you for always putting these posts up

3 Likes

August 23rd

"Everyone must agree that we AA’s are unbelievably fortunate people; fortunate that we have suffered so much; fortunate that we can know, understand and love each other so supremely well … Indeed most of us are well aware that these are rare gifts which have their true origin in our kinship born of a common suffering and a common deliverance by the Grace of God."
AA Co-Founder, Bill W., October 1959, “AA Communication Can Cross All Boundaries,” The Language of the Heart

It had to happen just the way it did to get me to where and whom I am today. I had to survive a dysfunctional family environment. I had to live through the nightmare and shadows of my horrific disease. I remember the sheer terror of walking through the doors of AA for the first time, not having any idea of the incredible journey I was about to take. We are welcomed and embraced by warm and loving members of our fellowship, but this is something we don’t know how to receive, nor do we believe we deserve. Gradually, we open our hearts and minds to this new way of living. Our common pasts become the conduit of deep trust, and we develop close friendships in which we would do just about anything for each other. I feel so fortunate and grateful that I get to recover in a fellowship that teaches us to live with grace, honesty and dignity. We are so blessed to have been given the gift of love, care and kindness that we can now so freely pass on to others. :heart:

4 Likes
1 Like

I kinda messed up last night and had a drink and smoke. I’m not all messed up and can’t figure out how to carry on with life, it’s one day at a time and yesterday has been and gone and today I won’t drink or smoke. 1 in 30 days is progress bc I couldn’t get past 1 day for ages. I’m still positive and I’m still moving forward and learning. Blessings on your house Mr Ed.

3 Likes

Good you can carry on today and no judgement from me Paul. 30 days is progress. Still I’m honestly curious as to what your reasons were for picking up last night. What did you think you’d gain? And what have you learned? Like I said I’m just curious. Further it’s onward and upward like all of us. One day at a time. Success Sir.

2 Likes

basically that morning I ordered ppv boxing and I’ve not had a decent boxing night for ages bc of covid. As soon as I ordered it my brain went all past tense on me and associated it with drinking and smoking. So I’ve learnt another trigger. I’m just grateful to wake up this morning and still feel positive bc last time I relapsed it messed me up for weeks. The proof of progress is in the pudding though bc someone asked me did I enjoy it and I said I’ll let you know in a weeks time bc I’m quite aware of how this thing works and I’m hoping to get of lightly for a change.

5 Likes

1 in 30 is progress not perfection and that’s how the program works. Congratulations my friend you are human. Keep up the good work and keep progressing in your self-discovery. Learning what our triggers are is an important part of recovery. :heart:

6 Likes

I liked this, not cuz you fucked up, :joy:. But because of your positive attitude to get right back in the game. What fucking courage you got!!
I find music to be very healing. I was looking for John McAndrew on line. If your willing Google him. His songs bring great messages. He’s not a big popular musician but he is great and visits people in rehabs and shit like that.
His album Like A Child. I’m going to copy the lyrics here. I haven’t relapsed yet. But it’s because I’ve never tried to be sober before. I knew it was too hard and I didn’t have it in me.
Anyway. Here’s the lyrics that I listen too all the time even way before my sober journey. I guess I listened to it because of my kids. Take what you want leave the rest.
Love you man.
:pray:t2::heart:
He plays the piano to this and it’s so amazing.
:point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down:
There is no road
for us to follow
There is no right
or wrong way to go
Each one of us
Has our own tomorrow
We get lost to find
our way home
Like a child …like a child… I’m always learning.

Maybe bad things
Are really a blessing
Maybe sad things
Grow up to be joy
Maybe hurting
Teaches me to be loving
Maybe lessons
Are the only way I know

You know he walked
With the fools
And the beggars
You know he walked
With the poor and the lame
Then he walked away
From the holy
And the righteous
In his humbleness
I can hear him say

Just when I think
I know every answer
Just when I think
That I know for sure
Just when I think
You can’t teach me
Nothin no more
It’s time to teach me
Just a little bit more

5 Likes

I’m going to Google this later :+1::pray:

2 Likes

I get all my music on iTunes. I’m sure he’s out there somewhere else too. But also his story is amazing.

2 Likes

August 24th

"I remember asking my sponsor, ‘When do I start the Steps?’ He replied, ‘When do you want to get well?’"
Martinsville, Va., March 2009, From: “Fledgling Sponsor”, AA Grapevine

As we take this journey together, we will have many experiences. A few years ago at a meeting, I had the honor of presenting an anniversary medallion to a sponsee. In that meeting, the sponsor stands next to the sponsee and says a few words about that person and relationship. As I was reflecting about this experience on the drive home, I realized how unbelievably blessed we are to have sponsors and to be able to sponsor others. I owe so much to my sponsors, and I truly could not have done it without them. However, the most privileged experience is sponsoring others. Sponsorship is sacred, and it should never be taken lightly. Being a sponsor is one of the greatest gifts we will ever receive. By giving to others, we find a deeper meaning to life itself. We are not here for selfish ends; we are here to reach elevated enlightenment, and that is achieved best by being kind, caring and loving to others. Sponsorship embodies altruistic giving with no expectation of anything in return, and through this simple act of caring, we are “rocketed into a 4th dimension of an existence we had not even dreamed.” (AA p. 25) The key to life and happiness is to give yourself to others. As the Dali Lama once said, “If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." :heart:

7 Likes

But the only thing we really need to do is accept that once the addiction stops, the feelings start. Then the long walk begins-but so does the reward.

To run from my pain is to create more pain. The only solution for me is to stand fast and fight it out.

Credit Believing In Myself.
Earnie Larsen &
Carol Hegarty

5 Likes

August 25th

"I thank God for my handicaps, for through them, I have found myself, my work and my God." - Helen Keller.

I don’t consider alcoholism as a handicap, but I firmly believe our alcoholic chaos and hardships were absolutely necessary to get us to a place of full surrender. Dr. Bob, our AA co-founder, once said that, “The ego of the alcoholic dies a hard death.” Similarly, Richard Rohr added, “We only become enlightened as the ego dies to its pretenses, and we begin to be led by soul and Spirit.” Many of us are thankful for the path we have taken, because we are now in complete acceptance of where we are in life today. If we fully commit to this program, we are virtually guaranteed a psychic change, and this personality change paves the way for a deep and meaningful spiritual awakening. Our perspective on every area of our lives can become more positive, and life begins to unfold with endless opportunities to grow both emotionally and spiritually. As our faith and conscious contact with God continues to grow, our evolving spirituality becomes the most precious gift of grace. Metaphorically speaking, we have all lost a leg or arm, but we now readily thank God for the experiences we endured, for without those challenging experiences, we would never have been so blessed to be a member of our incredible and loving fellowship.:heart:

5 Likes

I’m changing your name from mr Ed to father Ed, I’m sure you know enough about the book to know who he is :+1:that was a great post for me personally today bc since my slip I know that I have grown so much as a person bc normally I would still be feeling sorry for myself but God still walks with me and has given me a power that I’ve never had, that was the strength and wisdom to not go on a 3 month bender. I would do well to remember and appreciate this bc he may well have a different lesson for me to learn if I do it again and I might not be so grateful about God’s choice. Have you good day my friend.

3 Likes

August 26th

"As a rule, the average newcomer wanted his family to know immediately what he was trying to do. He also wanted to tell others who had tried to help him–his doctor, his minister, and close friends. As he gained confidence, he felt it right to explain his new way of life to his employer and business associates… These quiet disclosures helped him to lose his fear of the alcoholic stigma, and spread the news of A.A.'s existence in his community. Many a man and woman came to A.A. because of such conversations. Since it is only at the top public level that anonymity is expected, such communications were well within its spirit."
12 & 12, pp. 185-186

This business of “anonymity” can be troubling for some. It’s clear that we do not break our anonymity at the level of press, radio and film, but what about the basic elements of our lives, like family, friends or employer? There are those of us that want to be completely private, and maintain total anonymity in all instances, and that is a choice that we should honor. We should also never break the anonymity of another; that is their prerogative. However, as the above passage in our 12 & 12 states, it is well within the spirit of anonymity to divulge our disease to our doctors, ministers, friends and business associates. Again, this should be a personal choice. I remember telling my boss about my alcoholism, and I thought for sure I was committing career suicide; a couple months later to my complete surprise, I was promoted! Through these types of experiences, I also learned that “normies” have no idea what to do with that information, so we often need to give them something. I always end by saying, “I’m telling you this because, if there is anyone you now that may need help, I would be privileged to be that person to help them find recovery.” Through that simple statement, I was able to diffuse an awkward conversation, and more importantly, I was able to make myself available to someone that was suffering. By telling others, I have been given countless opportunities to carry the AA message.:heart:

5 Likes