Regret in sobriety

Hi does anyone else get regret at stopping drinking. Like you wish you hadnt stopped ? Im fairly new in my sobriety and im constantly thinking my life is going to be miserable and boring without alcohol in my life. I hate the thought of ruining my life but i also think whats the point in a life where nothings enjoyable…

4 Likes

Oh friend, that’s only demons whispering at you. There is so much more enjoyable on the sober side, but you’ll only see that once you’ve committed to being here for a while.

What’s the downside of giving sobriety a flees shot?

11 Likes

Yeah i was thinking thats all it is. Its just that niggling feeling like holidays parties etc wont be fun without alcohol ? Im definately wanting to stop drinking i just wonder you know ?!? Thanks for your reply

1 Like

The only thing I regret is that it took so long for me to learn how live and enjoy life without the drink.

19 Likes

Take some time and think about what you are REALLY missing out on. You can still do all the same fun things but you won’t be doing anything stupid or dangerous because of intoxication. And you’ll actually remember the fun the next day.

I know what it’s like to have those voices in your head but I promote you that there is NOTHING about drinking that can’t be better with sobriety.

6 Likes

Thats the addiction talking. Drugs like alcohol rewire many reward circuits so nothing seems enjoyable without it, or something like parties. Its like theres a gap now somethings missing. But what life is that where I can only enjoy a party drunk or on something? What life is that where I need substances to have fun?

3 Likes

Nope. I regret many things that I did while drinking but never regretted drinking. Would it be great if I didnt have this disease and could drink like a "normal " person? Probably. However that isnt the case and I have accepted that.

I don’t think people with kidney disease regret getting dialysis. I do t think people who are diabetic regret using insulin. We dont regret what we need to do to live.

3 Likes

Yeah i suppose when you put it like that

I agree i dont want my life to only be fun when im drunk i suppose its just very intimidating thinking about doing all the ‘fun’ stuff sober while everyone else is drunk around me

1 Like

Yeah thats the truth it would be great to wake up the next morning with no regret no hangover and more money in my pocket … the voices seem to make sense at the moment though lol

2 Likes

Its life and death and sometimes we need to have less fun to live and possibly be around sober People rather than drunks. Ive made the decision to not have any contact at all with people who use or drink too much.

2 Likes

I was a non-drinker from 22-32, drank from 32 to 51. When I look at what I faced and accomplished sober, vs. while drinking, how much peace and contentment I was able to achieve during each stage, I realized that I’m missing nothing, giving up nothing of value, by choosing to live a sober life.

Day 622: Zero regrets.

10 Likes

Fuck Regrets.

Everything was a lesson good or bad. It made me the person I am today. If anything I’m grateful. Grateful to be an recovering addict, grateful for the experiences and lessons I learned in active addiction.

9 Likes

Thats a good way to do it i suppose i will ha e to do the same

Thanks for that buddy nice insight … congrats on your sober time thats amazing

1 Like

Thank you and yeah i do regret not doing this years ago … hopefully it will get easier

1 Like

Yeah i like that mate no regrets … fuck it !!!

2 Likes

Lol all good Jenyoyo :sunglasses:

Its healthy and normal to have regrets if you didnt have them then you wouldnt grow and question your actions, dont regret giving up, rememeber fun stems from you! Id much rather be able to enjoy and remember a full night out than wake up somewhere strange with no recollection of what happened a heavy feeling of regret and guilt x

1 Like

Your not your past. Your you! Be better, do better and your past doesn’t define shit. I own my mistakes now, I own my past now that stuff doesn’t own me. I don’t live in regret, have regret or let it affect my future. I am the man I am today and fucking actually proud of it and I would not be this man today without the trials and tribulations I caused, went through in my life. Again I’ll say it, I’m grateful for every bad or good experience.

4 Likes