Regret in sobriety

I went to a music festival in Germany last weekend. First time sober. Honestly it was more fun as drunk. While I had fun drunk in the past too. I’m in a different phase of my life now. Drinking was killing me. I don’t want to die yet. Quitting was actually rather simple after I realized that. I don’t regret Quitting and I don’t regret drinking as long as I had fun doing it.

6 Likes

Sobriety for me has been a continuous learning process. My feelings towards alchohol waxed and waned, regardless I didn’t drink.

Soon you will be standing on some fairly solid ground.

7 Likes

Hopefully … i will stay sober and hopefully look back on this and wonder why i even questioned it

That sounds great im hoping for that in the future … to be able to do the things i did drunk but now sober and enjoy it more

1 Like

Yeah, totally. But without the boozing, a lot of other opportunities open up that you hadn’t thought of. It just takes some time to get into the habit. In my experience it became a bit different after like 30 days.

3 Likes

Cheers … im looking forward to getting to 30 days and hopefully seeing it from a different view point

2 Likes

Ditto that @Yoda-Stevie.
I started my drinking career in my mid 30s, so I have half of my adult life to make a comparison.
Drinking did nothing but add complications to already tough situations , and also added complications where none would have existed in the first place.
@Baillie35 Craig…I also discovered in the times I haven’t been drinking, other people often were not drinking as much as I perceived them to be while I was busy getting sloshed.

3 Likes

Yep, I always drank everyone under the table…until I ended up on the floor. Sober me sees more people drinking in moderation, which is something I simply cannot do.

4 Likes

I stayed sober for nine and a half years.

At around eight years sober I started feeling like I was missing out on something.

I couldnt shake the idea. I put alot of thought into it. I really thought I had it figured out. I convinced myself that I could drink again. I tried for nine years. It caused problems in my life immediately but I kept trying. I almost drank myself to death a few times. I made a giant ass out of myself alot of times. I did things I regret.

I lose all inhibitions when I drink. A part of me likes that, but I take it too far and the consequences aren’t good. I say and do things I would never do sober.

It’s been harder to commit to sobriety this time. I finally scared myself enough the last time I almost drank myself to death.

I’m 3 months 28 days sober today and grateful to be alive.

My alcoholic thinking is always trying to trick me into that first drink.

Now I know it’s not in my best interests to take it.

19 Likes

Great insight into someone thats done both … thank you for your advice and also well done getting sober again and getting some time under your belt !!

1 Like

Yeah now you say that i always seem to put more drink away than most other people in our group … will be nice to watch people when im sober just hopefully wont get too irritated with everyone

It’s kinda like watching fish in fish bowl. Mesmerizing at first, then just kinda boring.

4 Likes

Great analogy :joy::joy:

2 Likes

I got diagnosed with liver cirrhosis which was caused by my insane amount of drinking and still in the beginning and after I was told I was very very sick kept drinking. Our brain is a very powerful thing and so is an addict’s brain. We have FOMO and fear being different or being an outsider. I was told I would die if I kept drinking and still kept drinking. I regret not stopping when I did. As time passes, those thoughts and demons will quiet themselves. Your best days have yet to come. Once you realize that drinking alcohol did nothing but ruin you in all aspects of your life, you will be set free. Once you begin to see the physical changes and the mental changes and how you can truly think and have a clear head and not wake up hung over, you will not have those thoughts. Shoo them away, they’re nothing more than thoughts.

6 Likes

Thats great advice i will definately look at doin this list sounds beneficial… i will be looking to attend meetings asap

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your story i can totally relate and understand why you kept drinking but good for you for finally stopping and good luck with your sobriety i will keep pushing the voices away and follow you down your path :+1::+1:

1 Like

It is kinda like losing your best friend at first but then over time your life is soooo much better sober. Satan wants you to keep drinking and drinking and drinking some more and then drag you straight to hell.

7 Likes

Those thoughts creep in for me at times. Sometimes thinking about the positives I’m experiencing isn’t enough. To combat those nagging thoughts, I focus again on why I quit, the bad things that resulted from my past behaviors, mental and physical health problems I’m avoiding in the future, etc. Snaps me back to reality.

4 Likes

sobriety makes your life whole and special and beautiful and peaceful and meaningful - for you and your loved ones. whats miserable and boring is dealing with an alcoholic family member or waking up with a hangover everyday.

i say, if you dont already, get some hobbies that you think are awesome and exciting :smile: to replace those bad thoughts. x

5 Likes

Yeah thats my main reason for stopping … ruining full weekends for my family

1 Like