Regret in sobriety

Life is very much enjoyable sober. You have to get some days behind you to really see it, but I promise it’s much better on this side!! I know it’s hard to not question how boring your life may seem after, but honestly life is so much more exciting without it

1 Like

Thank you i really look forward to this

1 Like

Yeah definitely feels like something is missing … bored very easily

2 Likes

I drank for my entire adult life…from age 15 til I was 56…that’s a lot of drinking (and drug) years. I really had zero idea of life without alcohol, me without alcohol…so it was definitely scary trying to navigate that new world in my early sobriety. I really did not think I would ever have ‘fun’ again. Ha! Who knew. Life is much simpler and drama free without the booze. It isn’t perfect, not at all, but I am able to handle what life brings to me with grace and a clear head and that is pretty awesome. I LOVE being hangover and regret free. I love the freedom of sobriety, of not being connected to a bottle…how much is left…how much more I need…what an asshole it made me. I don’t regret getting sober, I do regret not getting sober earlier, but I do know I wasn’t there yet.

Did I mention how much I ADORE waking hangover free? Every day has a magical beginning when I open my eyes and realize
…yup, no hangover! :heart:

9 Likes

Brilliant … i love your enthusiasm !! It really is nice waking up hangover free right enough

2 Likes

True!!! There’s so many other things I’d actually rather be doing!

2 Likes

I think I know exactly how you feel. Being in active addiction, it’s like we are at a carnival at night, the lights, the sounds, the laughing and fun all around us. Why would you want to leave? Then you find the path of sobriety. It’s dark, quiet and lonely. As we wander down this path, we can’t really see what lies ahead as it’s too dark to see. We turn around and we can still see the carnival in the distance, we can see the lights and hear the sounds as it fades. We question ourselves, why are we going down this path if we don’t know where it leads. We wonder, should we go back to that carnival; that circus? But the further you walk down that path the more it lights up and the further you can see and eventually, when you turn around, the carnival is no where in sight and what lies in front of you is the most beautiful thing ever, the rest of the world, in its glory, waiting for you.

Keep walking that path friend, glory awaits!

20 Likes

Wow this was an amazing post! And a great way to describe the sober journey. :100:

2 Likes

This is one of the best things i have ever read regarding an alternative look at sobriety and i love it. What an awesome way to look at it thank you

4 Likes

I can relate. I definitely couldn’t imagine never drinking again. I assumed people that didn’t drink were boring. But I honestly couldn’t have been more wrong. Non drinkers, specifically ones in recovery I can relate to the most and I think are living their fullest lives.

I think you’ll get to that realization as well if you give it some time and focus.

4 Likes

Oh wow!! Amazing :earth_americas::blush:

1 Like

Thanks i will stay the course and hopefully my outlook will change

Wow thats amazing!! It reminds me of a short story I once wrote about a garden party in a village at night with people dancing and having fun the whole time but leaving the party was supposed to be something bad nearly sinful. When the main character leaves he realizes the party has been going on for years, the village looked abandoned like ruins because everyone was in the trance of the party. He feels he has lost many years of his life as if he was a prisoner and once he got out of it was glad to have left. He still felt sorry for all the ‘prisoners’ of the party.( Then he finds back to his plane but thats not relevant).

I was already in active addiction when I wrote that but never thought of quitting. I thought this was the only good way to live. The story was based on a dream I had had possibly my subconsciousness was telling me to come back to Reality.

8 Likes

In sobriety today I get to travel and visit family in different states, sing karoake, go to concerts and music festivals, work a meaningful job that is challenging, and the best part is this has been sustainable for several years without becoming burnt out or sabotaging the things I have gained. It’s a wonderful life! I did build up to being around my substance of addiction out in the wild slowly (ex: first concert alone after a year of sobriety, checked in with sober people during and had sober plans at a restaurant after) and I do not keep it at home.

5 Likes

Not having more fun in early sobriety. I approached life like I was about to enter the priesthood and self flagellation was the only way I could have got in.

I didnt have to be so serious all the time.

4 Likes

Sober 10 days here. Things I regret:

Spending shit ton $ on whiskey.
Treating my wife like shit.
Living with headaches every day.
Solitude in my basement.
Concerts that I have fuzzy memories of.
The past 2 years where my only real concern was the next drink.

Regret sobriety? Not a chance.

5 Likes

I have taken a screenshot of that AND bookmarked it. That was brilliant.

3 Likes

Haha I did too!

Staying sober is still difficult for me, even after four years. But if I go back to drinking I’m going to lose any chance of having a better future. I also remember all the dangerous and humiliating things I did, and never want to do again. So even though being sober is hard, it’s better than the alternative for me. Take care. Glad you’re talking to sober people here.

3 Likes

I hope you’re right.