Relapse after 4 years

Hello, its been a while. After 4 years, i did relapse again, its been a month now. I am humbly asking for advice again. I want to redeem myself. Thank you

24 Likes

I relapsed recently after 879 days. I’m on day 10 now.
In the past iv relapsed after 4 yrs then after 8 yrs.
It doesn’t feel good but I’m glad this time my relapse lasted 3 weeks not years.
What is working for me right now is to focus on the positives - the life I built over those 879 days and the person I grew to be- I’m still that person. I didnt do to much damage luckily. And I look around and think ok the only thing right now I need to change is myself to grow more and get more sober tools.

I’m glad that you have come here, and your reaching out.
Glad you are getting back into sobriety now.
It isn’t easy, I know for me it was so hard to tell everyone but once I did I felt so much better like a weight had been lifted off me

For me keeping it simple and going back to basics, even with my sobriety.

:sunflower:

24 Likes

Usually a relapse after a few years of recovery means we stopped doing or lessened our efforts for what was working for staying clean. Or we started doing the wrong things over time.

Usually a gradual process, like anger building or becoming reclusive, then relapsing.

Hope you find your way.

10 Likes

That’s tough.

I’m glad you were able to get back up and on track quickly.

It’s going to be something, as you’ve graciously shared, that we all need to be cognizant of and to understand this is a battle we will need to put attention on for all of our days… but something so rewarding that’s it’s worth the effort.

Wishing you a successful journey through these early days.

3 Likes

:100: it all happened quite slowly, mentally relapsing. I noticed a few months before. I could feel it winning until I physically relapsed.
The problem was I didn’t do anything to stop it from happening. I shared how I felt occasionally but not that I needed help and was in the danger zone.
I didn’t seek support by myself for myself.

7 Likes

Thank you :blush: you too :sparkles:

How is your day going ?

Welcome back! At one time, many years ago, i too relapsed after a decent amount of time in recovery ( I had 3 years at that time). I found that the reason for my relapse was that i was getting complacent and not doing the work required to stay clean and sober. I began to slack on prayer, on my self care techniques, and on many things that i did for my recovery… mtgs being one of them. Life got busy and I began to “forget” to take care of my recovery. But in all reality, if we dont have recovery, we have nothing. So recovery must come first. And that relapse showed me that.
I think its great that u came here and reached out for help. Maybe getting back to the basics of what worked for u to get sober in the first place, is a good start :slight_smile: You havent lost all the knowledge that youve gained over those 4 years and so its important to take a look at what happened that caused ur relapse, and make the appropriate changes. Wishing u all the best on ur journey :slight_smile:

11 Likes

A side observation: In 40 yrs of sobriety, I’ve yet to met anyone who was either in treatment or in the rooms who relapsed and had a good time.

5 Likes

This is my first day today. I am sorry for what ive did. A waste of a lot money and resources.

7 Likes

Well today is the beginning of the rest of your life, and you move forward from today onwards.
Rebuilding yourself and life day by day.
You know you can do it, you have before.
Believe in yourself, your life is worth fighting for.
You have to concentrate on some positives, break the cycle this will bring you out of that dark place. And connect here with us, your not alone :hugs:

2 Likes

I watched this tonight. It’s about 10 minutes long and really insightful.

It is for alcohol and any addictions. It really helped see why a relapse can be avoided with more knowledge we become stronger.

2 Likes

I’m glad you’ve come here for support !

1 Like

Sir, i am worried, and getting paranoid that my co-workers noticed the change in me in the past month. My brain thinks that they knew the nasty thing that i am doing, the mannerism, etc. How will i cope up with this situations? Any advise sir to start with.

1 Like

If your not doing it anymore you have nothing to worry about. If they thought they noticed something they won’t anymore. That’s all you can do.
Keep moving forward, don’t let worrying thoughts of what’s already happened keep you down.
You have got back up and you have alot to look forward to now.
You have the strength and the tools to do this, just like me, we just have to add more tools and be stronger on what we put into our sobriety.

Try and relax a little, stop thinking about what others will think, or may not even be thinking what’s done is done. Their opinion doesn’t matter as much you getting back in track okay :hugs:
Concentrate on how you can start feeling good again and how your going to move forward.

1 Like

Thank you sir…

1 Like

Thank you. I am ashamed of my substance abuse. I did not share it to anyone, nor to my closest friends. I am afraid they will judge me.

3 Likes

You don’t have to call me sir :blush:

1. Because we’re all in this together all equal and 2. I’m female :sunflower::hugs:
3 Likes

Sorry mam. :sweat_smile: here in the philippines, we always address as mam or sir. :joy:

1 Like

Maybe AA or NA will help you have extra face to face support if you can’t open with those close to you.

Remember you are worth it! :sunflower:

3 Likes