Relapse alcoholic husband šŸ˜„

Sadly my father in law brought alcohol and him and my husband had a Friday night of drinking. Good Friday wasnā€™t so good for me. I come to the conclusion that with his dad that a week ago promised to be onboard with my husband sobriety by not drinking or having alcohol around,has now sadly broken that promise and one again was awoken this morning on the phone with the verbal dysfunction that comes with my husband drinking. I feel like once again Iā€™m fighting a losing battle because his father is once again enabling and buying the alcohol. He reassure me that his dad was the one initially wanted to buy it. I know he is a adult and could of refused but why would his dad do such a selfish thing knowing that because of his addiction he is on a one day sick slip at work until 2025 and if he doesnā€™t he has five times before termination. I feel like Iā€™m done with the whole family at this point and thinking of filling for a divorce next week. Iā€™m I wrong to be done with this after years of dysfunction due to alcohol? All advice welcomed. At this point Iā€™m finally going to be just as selfish as them and start care and thinking of only meā¤ļø

13 Likes

This life is your one shot at being the best you that you can be. You have to decide if your spouse is going to be a part of that, or not.

I was your husband at one point in my life. My wife, who never drank, stuck with me throughout my active addiction. I am glad she did, and maybe itā€™s a little selfish of me to say that. Our relationship has itā€™s issues, but we are now able to productively work on it.

So, I guess there is hope, but it comes down to you, do you have the patience and tolerance to wait it out and see if he sobers up? Or do you have the courage and gumption to start a new life without him?

I hope your decision comes with peace.

Be well

17 Likes

Iā€™ve been the drunk and drugged up partner twice and they both ended it because of me.

Ultimately, you can still love someone and not tolerate their crap anymore. If heā€™s an alcoholic then heā€™s a sick man - itā€™s really for you to decide whether you want to stick with him through that illness or if itā€™s just too much. Itā€™s not unfair to leave an alcoholic if your life is turned upside by it and is also too chaotic. Does your father in law see anything wrong with the way heā€™s behaving or is it the blind leading the blind?

So, I guess thereā€™s 2 cents for you from this alcoholic - 1) Is he sick and do you see recovery as a viable option that you want to help him through if he can take it seriously? 2) Are you so sick of his bullshit and had enough that itā€™s time to move on? 3) Do you love him enough to tell him ā€œIā€™m not going to watch you kill yourself with alcoholā€ and divorce him?

13 Likes

I donā€™t have any advice or thoughts on your situation as itā€™s just so personal and ultimately only you can decide what you are prepared to do, and know that whatever that choice, make sure itā€™s right for YOU.
I just wanted to express my best wishes for you and know I hope you find happiness and peace in your life. No one deserves to be miserable in their own life by someone elseā€™s actions.

:pray::heart::peace_symbol::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

I have been sticking it out when the him but I donā€™t know about you in your active addiction, but with my husband he also suffers from anxiety disorder. With alcohol mixed with that he becomes verbally abusing that is the part that makes it unbearable at this point. Also his dad is the main one complaining when he goes on his binges and doesnā€™t got to work or anything my husband is 40 years old by the way and Iā€™m 43 so this isnā€™t a situation where he doesnā€™t have responsibility. Thank god our children are grown. If he didnā€™t get verbally abusing it would be easier. Thanks so much and congratulations on your sobriety :innocent:

4 Likes

Thank you you are so right.

1 Like

Congratulations on your sobriety. I donā€™t know if in your active addiction you were verbally abusing your wife like I stated to another member. In my case my husband is. We are currently living in different homes because the verbal got to unbearable. Iā€™ve actively been whole hearted supportive from phone to free myself of the constant arguments he starts drunk. He was sober for a week then last night his dad brought alcohol and he called me on the phone,being verbal saying f me for leaving and screaming and hollering. Thatā€™s when I felt like it got unbearable. Because if his father which knows his son is sick is going to randomly get alcohol it a losing battle and Iā€™m just at the end of my rope. Thanks so much God blessing to u and your family and wife. Thanks for taking time to give your advice :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

All I can say is make your boundaries and stick to them. You only have one shot at this life, so do right by yourself.

For what itā€™s worth my wife put up with my shit for way to long. I was never abusive towards her however, being drunk is no excuse for that. I eventually got my shit together but it was for me, not her.

8 Likes

Itā€™s an unbeatable foe.

Alcoholism is an insidious cunning baffling disease. I have to surrender almost every day.
I cannot control or cure my loved oneā€™s alcoholism.

Iā€™m sorry youā€™re going through this. Loving an alcoholic is one of the hardest things in the world. But by going to Al-Anon Iā€™m also finding it rewarding and learning so much about myself. And how I contribute to the chaos.
:pray::heart:

7 Likes

I hear you @Vii
For me it was too much at the end. I divorced my ex as he never thought he had a drinking problem or saw what hurt and suffering it caused to me, him and others.
Itā€™s ok to say itā€™s enough, Iā€™m done with your bullshit. That doesnā€™t mean you donā€™t love anymore, itā€™s that love doesnā€™t mean to be the doormat of a drunk person. Did you try to block communication completely so he canā€™t reach you when drunk? You are already seperated. Are there honest intensions on his side to get sober and work recovery?
Itā€™s your decision and @HoofHearted and @DresdenLaPage put it well, I want to second it.
Whatever you do, please feel hugged :people_hugging:

7 Likes

Yes I recently blocked him today all during him trying to be sober while separated he wasnā€™t being verbal. Today while blocked he had a co-worker hook up the phones and I explained to the co-worker thereā€™s no need to hook up the phones because the coworker heard him cursing me out saying the only reason why I separated from this is because Iā€™m cheating which is a lie all Iā€™ve done is been depressed and want him better I would never involve another person selfishly when Iā€™m not healed myself. Yes I think I have had enough of being a drunken manā€™s doormat and love doesnā€™t mean that I have to endure verbal abuse so all I can do is pray for him and his dad that thinks it was a wise choice that after his seven days sober to buy alcohol just because the dad wanted it heā€™s the one thatā€™s going to have to regret his choice because heā€™s a enabler now Iā€™m no longer an enabler .Thank you so much and I feel the hug and I love this group for support hug right back to you

2 Likes

Thanks so much for your kind words Iā€™ve gotten strength since the separation and to hear him fall back to the same behaviors this morning made me wake up that by the time he really does want to get sober I could possibly be taken down mentally and physically and nothingā€™s worth that

2 Likes

Congratulations on your sobriety. And the fact that she stuck it out is the same thing I would have done if it wasnā€™t for the verbal abuse but I have to take care of me I know that and I guess hearing it from others was the push I needed. By the time he completely becomes sober he could have possibly taken me down mentally and physically and he canā€™t even be there for himself so I would be an idiot to allow him to take me down as well

3 Likes

Vii should consider itā€™s possible her husband is lying about who bought the booze and is trying to shift the blame?

Itā€™s something drunks are very good at - lying and guilting.

7 Likes

True but heā€™s dad said in back ground that he brought it and they only drinking Friday and Saturday so maybe they both lying but thatā€™s their life only now Iā€™m working on rebuilding a non alcoholic verbally abusing life. Thanks so much they are both probably lying :lying_face:

1 Like

You donā€™t have to be a doormat nor do you have to be a bully. Most alcoholics are really good at being one or the other but you sound like you already know what your boundaries are and itā€™s not just your right to enforce them, itā€™s your responsibility.

Thereā€™s another side to the coin here - It doesnā€™t really matter whether he bought it or his father did, I canā€™t imagine his dad poured it down his throat for him forcibly. Your husbands a grown man and if heā€™s sick, he needs to come around by himself. Itā€™s one illness but 2 lives (at least) being affected here. I will also point out that my mother left my father because of his alcholism. Originally it was a threat of divorce and he stopped altogether but after 10 years the damage was done and he never put the real work in - he turned nasty through their divorce to the point where I wanted him to drink again so heā€™d pass out. Heā€™s well now (to an extent). My mother did actually say quite openly to my ex girlfriend ā€œIf his drinking is too much and itā€™s affecting you, donā€™t be afraid to leave himā€ and she was :100: right. It was a relationship doomed anyway but thankfully we didnā€™t have kids or anything keeping us together really.

I really do feel for you; growing up with an alcoholic and then subsequently becoming an alcoholic, I can see the heartache from both sides. Itā€™s a tough one for anyone to have to decide upon but it sounds like youā€™re pretty much out the door already. Donā€™t be afraid to choose to be happy again.

2 Likes

Thanks so much and praying that things continue in the right direction for you :gift_heart:

1 Like

Goodbye family and friendsā€¦

I, over the past 5 years have cut away at much of the fabric of my life, I now have a new oneā€¦and I like it.

Making change is tough, you have one lifeā€¦live it.

Be well

6 Likes

So sorry to hear that. It is a very hard situation to be in and I feel for you. I dont have any advice unfortunately, but Iā€™m thinking of you and hope things work out for you :people_hugging:

2 Likes

My wife got fed up with this crazy Scotsman and decide enough was enough In my marriage i never tried to stop or moderate i just lived for drink so i got the heave looking back i coudnt live withy me , Got divorced and i was 2 years sober then but my wifes boyfriend had moved in so just went to meetings and im still sober today got married again 30 years this july 38 years sober this Sept so even though it didnt work out we both are happy in our lifes today wish you well

7 Likes