Relapse and dealing with stressfull situations

Hi everyone im new to this forum. So abit about me and my story. I first got into recovery in 2016 after a 4 month stint in rehab. I have had alot of success remaining abstinent in that time but relapse has been a problem. My latest stint was 19 months and then i relapsed again for 9 weeks on and off. Im currently back on a day one to day… my biggest problem is complacency and not recognising my triggers which my main one is stress but ive also had alot of guilt around this last relapse aas my actions when under the influence have been appaling at times. Im finding it hard to swallow because alcohol just turns me into a complete different person to what i usually am. I use the smart recovery program and have been part of both fellowships na and aa in the past but i find smart more beneficial for me. Anyway its good to have found this forum i really am hoping to keep it togeather and stay clean and sober again now. Im also hoping to lean on this forum abit when the going gets tough etc as an extra line of support.

9 Likes

Welcome to the community :raising_hand_woman:
It’s nice to have you with us.

Alot of us check in daily here :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you🙂

1 Like

not been cheeky but after all the relapses and different programs havnt you learned anything about triggers . maybe a different mind set or effort by all means post here but face to face meetings will help aswell keep us posted on your journey wish you well

2 Likes

Hi ray…

Im glad you asked this question. Well its like i know what they are but i tell myself im ok to deal with them and it trips me up every time. Abuild up of stress is my mine one and i dont no how to handle it very well. Ive started doing some meditation again to see if that helps and some exercise i love hiking and walking with my dog aswell. Another big one for me is lonliness in recovery as i only no a couple of people that are in recovery i struggle in big groups of people but i know ive got to somehow get over the fear of that one.so most of my meetings are online. And thank you ray i will keep everyone updated. I do like the idea of being able to check in daily on here as just writing things out helps doesnt it.

5 Likes

Dealing with stress, uncertainty, elation, peace, and any other “positive or negative” emotion sober is what true life is all about.

Take a break, breathe, identify the feeling, talk to others if unsure or in need of support, feel the feeling, breathe, live, and watch as it passes and something else takes its place. Repeat and enjoy.

3 Likes

Hi @Nevergiveup1 nice to have you with us .stress and loneliness are issues for everyone addicts or non addicts☹️ what helps me is sharing my difficult feelings with other’s. “A problem shared is a problem halved” .Try and find the courage to put up a new topic post and let us know what your stresses are .getting them out your head helps . Get involved in the meetings you do have ,get numbers make friends and TAKE the advice they give no one can do this alone sending you love and serenity today xx

1 Like

Thanks bob yes you are so right about accepting feelings etc. I do manage to do this for long periods of abstinent and i do love my life being clean and sober just these certain things that seem to trip me up. Back on day 2 now did a meeting last night which really helped. Just going to take the day in my stride and get my head on the pillow tonight. Thank you for your advice and reaching out🙂

1 Like

Morning.19801 yes you are right. What i seem to do as i get further on in my recovery is stop doing these things i get complacent and say im ok now i dont need to work on recovery i can handle life on my own but yhis is the lie that my brain tells me. If one thing the relapse has taught me is that i definatley cant stay clean and sober on my own. Ive got to make recovery top priorty from now on. Thank you for reaching out. Also wishing you a good day. I have to work today but ive done some meditation and taken my beautiful german shepherd out for a stroll this morning so good start to the day. X

2 Likes

Morning thanks for saying morning .I never know what time it is for others on here as we’re from all over the world. I’m in the morning here too . Love for your four legged pal and exercise are great ways to start the day .I wish I had a little pal to share my walks .hope you have a lovely rest of your day :heart:

2 Likes

Perhaps next time a difficult situation comes up you can reach out to someone who may help you get through it? While it may seem strange to get another’s opinion or experience in the beginning of sobriety, it will feel essential later on.

By ourselves we may not be able to handle something except by drinking, with help, we can learn a new way of coping.

2 Likes