Relapse is NOT a requirement for sobriety

Exactly what I needed.

I really hope other people add to your topic. It’s always great to see a new post here.
:pray:t2::heart:

1 Like

I listened to chapter four a few days ago too. I enjoyed it. It had been a while, and I liked it alot. I should listen to chapter five today.

First paragraph…

RARELY HAVE we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path. Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program, usually men and women who are constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves. There are such unfortunates. They are not at fault; they seem to have been born that way. They are naturally incapable of grasping and developing a manner of living which demands rigorous honesty. Their chances are less than average. There are those, too, who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders, but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest."

My inner alcoholic tries to play the maybe your just one of these “unfortunates” card. :rofl:

1 Like

Fear is good! Im greatful to have the fear in me again. I hope I never lose it.

Now that I’m getting grounded in recovery again, I realize the importance of working with new people. Listening to their stories, watching them tremble with their bloodshot yellow eyes three days without a drink.

I browse the forum every day. you can see it here, but the impact is much more powerful in person. I want to step up my in person recovery game. I was able to go to some meetings last summer. It was good for me. Recovery camping events are cool. Hopefully Covid allows them this summer. Even if you don’t camp and make it to a fireside meeting its pretty powerful.

I remember attending big events and how powerful that was too. AA conventions often have a sobriety countdown. Powerful!

This thread has helped me too. Thank you!

4 Likes

I get to 4 in person meetings a week. I only say this for myself but I don’t think I’d last very long if I didn’t go. It’s the only medicine that seems to work for me. I hope I never stop going.

3 Likes

I live in a small town. Looking back I wasnt getting anything new. I had heard our small regular fellowship over and over. The newer people that I had helped had been around for a while. I had done business dealings with a couple different old timers there and knew they were full of shit about practicing principles in their life.

There were no new people coming through the doors.

A couple of my best mentors had quit going too. Both of them got burned out on AA. Both have 30 plus years. Neither one of them cosigned me entertaining the idea of drinking like a gentleman. So, I quit seeking advise. After the carving show my inner alcoholic nurtured that seed until it grew.

Relapse starts with a thought.

One of those recovery mentors works at the dock. He is a crane operator. I see him almost every evening he lands our boat. We talk recovery when we get a chance. He’s rooting for me. Its nice to have him there when I get home. Fellowship is good to have.

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing. I often have difficulty to stqy concentrated. I was here. Thank you :innocent:

1 Like

i Just re read this thread. Ive been working and I missed some of this.

Coming off of meth is hard, especially if you have been experiencing psychosis. It took days for me to start to come back to reality. Catching up on sleep was a big help. Even then I had trouble figuring out what was real and what was hallucinations.

I felt disconnected from everything. I was paranoid. I had huge anxiety attacks. Impending doom anxiety. It took a couple of months for me to feel somewhat normal. During this time its really easy to use again because it feels like it will never get better.

The drug temporarily shuts down the brains ability to make dopamine. It takes time for it to heal and start working again. How much time is different for everyone. A lot of it depends on how long you used.

We can heal and we can recover, but we cant if we keep using. if you stay clean for two weeks and use again any healing that may have occurred gets damaged again. Maybe worse because the self loathing and self hatred grow stronger.

I know its hard to imagine ever feeling good again in early recovery. But we can. I do. Some days i feel really good. Natural highs. Other days I still feel down. Buts its not like it was in the first few weeks or months. I dont self loathe anymore. Im actually feeling proud of myself these days more than I can remember in a long time.

I cut all ties with meth users and dealers. If I suspect its around. I leave. another factor I had to learn the hard way is that if I drink, Im alot more likely to get high.

5 Likes

That’s the beautiful thing about this program. We are all so much alike. We find power together because we are all the same. Sure we are individuals, each with our own problems and needs but there are many things we share. Left to my own devices I would be drunk. By joining in I have found a family. People that want me to succeed even when I don’t see a way of doing that. People who are willing to love me even when I feel unlovable. The greatest gift we can give is our experience, strength and hope. By giving it away I recieve two fold and that’s how we stay sober. When all else fails work with another alcoholic or addict will save the day. That is how I stay sober. By being of service to someone else. Stay connected and trust in something bigger than yourself. You can do this!!

3 Likes

Jason your story never ceases to inspire me and I have no doubt that it is playing a very large part in helping me maintain sobriety.

2 Likes

Together we are stronger! :muscle:

4 Likes

Amen brother

1 Like

Hi!!!
Thank you so much for posting this. By the grace of my higher power, the rooms, and fellowship I have 4.5 (ish) months today. I am on step 4 and have not thought more about relapse and cocaine than I have on step 4. I never had the desire to do drugs and I’m a unicorn I guess they say who drank only and smoked weed; but both I did out of control and A LOT.

Step 1-3 was easy. I have never wanted to get wild and drink and high more than on step 4.

I feel like I am hanging on by my teeth. I am doing everything I need to do, and working the program, but the mental obsession is still there- like “can I really get through this without relapsing???” Am I strong enough? We hear a lot about relapsing in the rooms and there is absolute no disrespect to those who have as it is part of their recovery.

I feel like the enemy is playing tricks on me telling me a relapse is necessary to truly be “in AA”- it’s all so dysfunctional. I have not relapsed since I started AA, but I swore off drinking 10 million times in the past and went out 11 million more.

It’s just exhausting. I am in my apartment prepping for the week and trying to kill time until the next meeting.

I am sending so much love and light to all- whether we have releasped or not, whether we just came back from one or not; all advice is welcome. My brain hurts.

3 Likes

so I guess for me I struggle with a lot of curiosity because I didn’t do drugs I just did a lot of weed and drank out of control. But once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic- I know damn well weed, shrooms, whatever else will be just like drinking and be chaos too.

I got sober at a time I wasn’t super done with it all, and honestly, I don’t think I will ever be done mentally I pray this obsession lifts through the steps and time sober.

3 Likes

Many people stumble on step four. The biggest reason is they sit on it for too long. Sharing their inventory with someone else in step five terrifies them. They stir up all that shit and hang onto it.

It purpose is to bring all the negative things we carry about ourselves to the surface. These are the reasons we feel bad about ourselves. Im a piece of shit I might as well stay drunk.

Some of its subconscious.

Sobriety can bring back memories we forgot about. If we don’t address these things, its easier to feed the thoughts about continuing to get loaded. To keep trying to numb it.

When we share it with another we realize that its ok. The past does not define us. We get if off our chest. We realize we are just human and humans make mistakes. We become willing to right our wrongs when we can. We let go of the guilt and shame that feeds our addiction. Those things lose their power over us. Our self esteem improves. it builds a foundation to build our recovery on.

Step four and five go hand in hand. Unless we sit on step four. If we do we give our addictions the advantage.

If we do an honest step four and five, then step six and seven are as easy as steps one, two, and three,

after getting through step five was when I really felt recovery having a positive effect on me. I was recovering from a seemingly hopeless state of mind.

Step eight and nine can seem as hard as four and five, Don’t let it be. You’ve already felt all negative feels that step four brought up. Eight and nine will put them behind you. then your to the maintanence steps which are also easy ones. ten eleven and twelve.

I’m a recovering cocaine addict. The cocaine is further behind me than alcohol. I snorted and smoked cocaine. I’ve never injected any drugs. My alcoholic/addict thinking has whipped out the you might as well try it idea in recovery more than once. I relate to you thinking about stepping it up to cocaine. I haven’t ever acted on it. Neither should you.

Cocaine will take you on a ride you will regret. It could introduce you to meth like it did me. You don’t want to go there either.

The legal drug alcohol is hard enough. I haven’t done cocaine for 20 years. I haven’t done meth for two and a half, and I’m one year eleven months sober from alcohol. :muscle:

I was 100 percent sober from everything for nearly ten years but I was dumb enough to think I could drink like a gentleman which led me to being dumb enough to do some drugs again. Unfortunately relapse is a part of my story. It wasn’t worth it.

It was way harder for me to get sober again than I ever imagined it could be. I do not recommend.

Don’t let step four trip you. Your doing great!

2 Likes

Hi thank you so much for your open and honest account I really appreciate it and I’m so glad to hear you’re maintaining your sobriety.

I will be doing my 5th step this weekend at the top of a hike and I’m really excited :laughing:

I have heard once you get through that it starts to feel freeing and I’m really excited about that.

Thank you so much! I’ll check back in and see how you’re doing

2 Likes