Relapsed after 80 days

With great pain… lost to my own good intentions and relapsed after 80 days… not due to any bad incident or any bad news… just thought… i will be in control of myself…
Then binged for a week…took soberity for a week… again binged for a week…
Now again on path of sobriety…
Can anyone explain… this problem… if they also faced…
I know… terms like… be focussed… avoid any deviations etc etc…
But this problem is really having me and i don’t want to get into this…
Kindly help…and advice…
Thanks

6 Likes

Welcome back @Chazz. Haven’t seen you in a month. Glad to know you’re trying again.

In my experience (and I have a lot with this area), relapse simply forces me to face the fact that I do not have a lot of will power. I need help. I cannot do this alone.

Do you go to AA? If not, that would help.

Don’t give up. Things do get better.

3 Likes

For me, in the first few months…i planned every second of my free time…“chores dont make uou sober” but boredome sure has heck would make me drunk. I changed people, places and things. If they were drinking buddies, we didnt hang out, if it were restaurants where I would drink, I didnt go to them…ect.

I read everything i could get my hands on that had to do with alcohol and addiction.

Finally, i waltzed my alcoholic butt into AA.

9 Likes

I relapsed after about 140 days. Took a long time to even hit 2 weeks after that. I know your pain. It’s never worth it.

3 Likes

It sounds to me like you are in need of some fellowship…others like you that you can call on when you are tempted. Like with any disease we need a support team to heal.

3 Likes

If you look at my topic went 74 days. I also had no reason but then we don’t need one

2 Likes

I had over 150 days sober, then relapsed for 13 months straight. As I’ve read before on others posts, I just can’t drink, or else I won’t stop.

2 Likes

Same happened to me at new year was on day 67 gone through Christmas no probs then at new year thought like you i could control it, next minute was having a bottle of wine and several beers every day. Now back on the wagon and on day 27. I learnt my lesson at new year and realised i dont have the strenght to control my urge. So am staying clean. Its funny because i stopped smoking over 20 years ago and still get the urge. I know if i had one cigarette i would be back on 20 a day. I guess its just the way i am made!!! Total abstinence is best for people like me. Stay strong.

4 Likes

I would add for me when i am sober i am fairly comfortable with it and relish the feeling of having a clear head and feeling good etc. I do get tempted from time to time but tend to focus my attention on other things when this happens. My new year relapse taught me i will never have control, so as in the words of that disney film " let it go …" In my mind i try to believe that alcohol no longer exsists. What doesnt exsist you cant have.

2 Likes

Relapsed after 5 years sober 1,5 year ago. We are never in control after the first one.
So say no the the first one. We can do that!
Today is my 215 day sober, back on the road again.

9 Likes

I was thinking about you today. Holidays are hard for me. 13 months sober, and Easter is bringing back my thirst. Going to my second AA meeting, have a third one planned. Where I am going with all this…if you want to be sober, you have to be ready to do what it takes. For me, its going to be meetings all day today. Just my 2 cents

4 Likes

Went to AA havnt relapsed yet keep on trucking

5 Likes

Thanks for the advice… frankly… till date neither I had taken any medication nor gone to any meeting…
May be i need to attend one…

All the best!!

Ya… i too agree…
The key is total abstinence !!
I strongly say NO for the first one…
But see… my mind says… come on man… you are not a weakling… you can be strong after one and that’s the …breaking point…
Again resolution taken… and hope it continues…

Frankly… the main problem is… i don’t see it as a disease…
I see it as an abnormality… may be thats the reason… i am relapsing…
Thanks for the advice…