Resentfullness in first 24 hours

First time trying again in 5 years. Been an alcoholic for 20 years. Afraid that I won’t be happy without it. Feeling resentful and angry instead of greatful this morning.

8 Likes

Are you happy wíth it ?

Welcome :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I believe I am, on and off. I can’t imagine anything could ever be fun without alcohol. I am very unhealthy and afraid I will die is the real reason I need to try to get sober. I’m trying to tell myself that the alcohol is speaking to me. Trying to drag me down. I’m not going to drink today, but I feel like just laying and doing nothing instead of being up and about like usual.

4 Likes

Welcome Haley! I promise, it gets better once you start seeing and feeling the benefits of sobriety. The first few days were the worst for me. I didn’t know how I was going to live without it but I was told just focus on getting through the day sober and then do the same the next day. Filling my time with activities helped to keep my mind off it. Eventually, my entire routine changed and alcohol became a thing of my past.

7 Likes

Used to think the same. I honestly thought alcohol cheered things up a little. That’s a misunderstanding though.
Instead, it makes things worse. Using takes away that realisation, but still makes things worse.

As said above, it gets better. Go for it and have faith in the outcome :+1:

4 Likes

Love this! So true! We tend to see things one-sided in addiction

3 Likes

Welcome Haley.
Gratitude is my strongest tool.
I force myself to do a gratitude list every fucking morning. In recovery, we either learn to be grateful, or we don’t last. Gratitude is the air of recovery. Gratitude is what makes the lungs of recovery fill, the heart beat, and the life flow.

Do it!
I’ll help ya.
You can be grateful you found this life saving app.
Grateful you can see…………
You can find 8 more.
It takes work. But it’s worth it.
I hope to see you around.
:pray:t2::heart:

5 Likes

I have had a few days in my life where I did just lie down and do nothing. Those days used to be due to hangovers or a bad mental space. If that is what you need to get better let yourself. The other side is better but you’ll have to keep going. I’m rooting for you. :heart:

2 Likes

Hi🙋‍♀️ welcome to the community.

Life most definitely IS still fun without alcohol.
Im glad you joined us.

Take time out for yourself, dont give yourself too much to do in the early days. Its ok to not be ok to get better.

1 Like

I felt the same way! I’m two months new to this sober life from alcohol. We broke up due to legal issues x2! I feared that there would be nothing else to do. So far, I’ve found life more enjoyable! I also remember a lot more as I used to weekend warrior it to blackout. Good luck on your journey! You quit for a reason.

2 Likes

Welcome.
Take care of yourself.
Every day, take care of yourself.

The first days and weeks are the toughest. But it is worth it.