Rosa at 180, kicking Depression's ass

I decided to take a gander back at my 90 days post this morning, and I am glad for it. I’ll link it here if you’re curious. So much is still relevant – I am now, more than ever, grateful that I can take each day as it comes and that I just have to stay sober today. One Day At A TIME! ODAAT. This way of thinking and living has helped me not only to stay sober, but to live fully present in the now (okay, maybe not FULLY fully, but you catch my drift), it has helped me with my tendency to ruminate on the past and worry about the future. A backward focus leads me to depressive episodes and a forward focus leads me to anxiety. An oversimplification, but if I temper every worry about the future with the knowledge that I only need be concerned, really, with what I am doing right now, it helps alleviate anxiety that has plagued me forever. Worry and anxiety is still part of my life, but living ODAAT in sobriety has given me the most powerful tool in my toolbox for managing it. And if I can release the troubling feelings I have about the past with that same knowledge, I can begin to let things go (this part is requiring some additional heavy lifting through therapy, but the process has started).

90 days ago, I was contemplating how I would handle life’s trials and low points, projecting forward to the death of my dog and myriad other hard life things that can happen. Well, I now have evidence that I can survive grief and loss without drinking, imagine that!? I am so grateful that I worked my recovery and was sober for the last 4 months of my dog’s life, was with him through his last moments helping him transition, and took care of his body afterward, a body that had brought me over 9 years of comfort, companionship, and the unconditional love that a dog provides. I was intentional about the grieving process and used as many tools as I could find or come up with to process the emotions and experiences upon and following his death. He was like my first child, albeit a furry one, but it was tremendous heartbreak, relief, joy, laughter, immense sadness, and simply a huge life change. So much stuff! I had to give myself space to feel the feels, and did worry about my recovery at times. For me, recovery is not just about sobriety, but my mental health in general. The huge weight that was lifted when Chucho died on January 10, all of that stress with his illness and caring for him in his decline, the uncertainty of how long he had left, making the decision to help his passing at the vet but then he passed at home the night before that could happen…all of that release of tension left me feeling at ease, at peace. But then the clouds started rolling in. They show up, wispy at first, then thicker, maybe a clear day, then darkness. But I did not have to drink. I knew those clouds. I didn’t necessarily know what to do instead, but I had alternatives and I tried them. I tried my damnedest and finally got an appointment with a doctor. I decided to try an antidepressant medication. I reestablished connection with therapy. I was kind and gentle with myself and spent more time in bed, focused on what I could do instead of what I should do. I asked my husband for help. I connected with my supports and told them what was going on. I talked about it on TS, got so much support and am so grateful for you TS amigos, I can’t say it enough. Ultimately, I chose to be sober, every damn day. And I started feeling better. So good, in fact, that I just had the best week that I can remember ever having. And I am sober today, at 180 days. And hot damn! That feels good!

28 Likes

You’re awesome,Rosa! Your hard work and determination is undeniable. I love being on this journey with you. Much love to you Sis. :heart:

Congratulations!!

fireworks

4 Likes

I loved reading this post! You were able to handle heart wrenching loss while maintaining your sobriety. At a time when you might have turned to alcohol in the past, you drew on other tools. I really appreciated how clearly you laid out the steps you took to take care of yourself. What a great model for the rest of us!
:tea::cherry_blossom::tea::cherry_blossom::tea::cherry_blossom::tea::cherry_blossom:

2 Likes

Well done on 180 days Rosa! Kicking depression and addiction’s ass!! Super proud of you.
Reading this is reminding me to live in the moment. :raised_hands:

3 Likes

Amen, Rosa ! So great to read. All that we can achieve, survive and grow without a drug we once thought could not live without :pray::slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you for being part of this community and making it a real good one!

2 Likes

You’ve come a long way Rosa! Congrats on 180!!! You rock gf!

2 Likes

Huge congratulations on 180 days, @RosaCanDo! Reading this made me cry (in a good way). You’re a huge inspiration to me in my sobriety! Keep going, you strong, amazing lady!

3 Likes

Rosa, you absolutely rock! Proud to know you. Tell Lupe that Chief said wassup.

1 Like

Oh, man. This is so hugely inspiring, as are you! It’s like breaking new ground - facing all the stuff you have had to in the last 90 days (let alone 180) in your sober shoes - and there you are, doing it. And sharing it with us. Thank you for the gift of you. :pray: :orange_heart:

2 Likes

Congratulations Rosa on your well earned 6 months sobriety.

2 Likes

I’m so glad you’re here with us @RosaCanDo! You’re such an important part of the community. I remember your 90 day post and that link you shared… It was great. Here’s to another 180 days!

2 Likes

@RosaCanDo

You are doing truly amazing
I really look up to you for that

You can do anything you set you mind to I know it

I’m sorry for the loss of your doggy
Tha isn’t easy. From what you said I know he or she knows he or she is loved.

Keep on keeping on

1 Like

So much respect and admiration for you.
Rock on
:+1:

1 Like

Oh my gosh you guys!!! 🥲🥲🥲 Happy tears over here…thank you for all the kind words. My heart is pretty packed full right about now. I posted this morning and went out for the day without my phone (gasp!) never expecting to come back to all this love. You make this gal feel pretty special and I am grateful for you. I remember when I first joined in Oct ‘19 and was lurking, reading around and wishing that I could be a part of such a rad community of sober, like-minded and yet diverse folks. I started joining in almost exactly one year ago, Mar ‘20, and though I went back out for a while, in just a short month I had made some great connections, and y’all helped me come back! I distinctly remember @ from @Salty, @anon79808082, and @AyBee - you three were a big part of why I came back to the forum because you reached out to me and thus why I am here today. All of you here have contributed to my sober journey, even the jerks I’ve encountered (wait, hear me out…) because they are a reminder of what not to do and where I came from, teach me compassion and empathy, and get me riled up so I have to practice my calm assertiveness (I’m getting there!). It’s remarkable and inspiring to be a member of this community. Thank you, amigos, for being here and being you.
Thanks for the love: @Lisa07 @OolongJones @Clarity @anon74766472 @Ravikamor @TSan @TMAC
To be continued…

14 Likes

Thank you @M-be-free49 @Dazercat @Tommo @Nordique @anon43625156 @AyBee @Conor689908 @Dragonflygirl82 @Dan531 @Fargesia_murielae

9 Likes

Thank you @CATMANCAM! p.s. trying to keep all my thank yous in one spot!

3 Likes

Well done @RosaCanDo, beautifully put!

2 Likes

Thank you, Flo!

This makes my heart smile :revolving_hearts::slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

You, mister, make me smile in return! :heartpulse:

1 Like