Rosa at 90, and Anne at 99

Here I am, 90 days into a new phase of my life. Every day continues the longest sober stretch I have experienced since I started drinking regularly at around 20 years old, and I’m 38 years old now. I feel almost giddy at times about going through the holidays sober this year, heading toward my birthday at the end of January. My birthday has always been my own personal new year’s milestone, and to envision having some sober time under my belt by the time I hit 39 is pretty freaking exciting. At this point, I have started to reconcile some cognitive dissonance regarding a ODAAT philosophy while also planning for the future. It’s liberating to understand that I only have to worry about not drinking today, but I can still lead a life of intention toward making a better future. After all, it’s what we do now that gets us to where we will be next.

So, one of my fears is about how I will handle strife in the future. What happens when my dog dies, when someone I love is hurting, when some other personal tragedy strikes, or when the weight of the world feels heavy and I find myself depressed, in that low place I’ve been before? I have learned so much from becoming a part of the Talking Sober community, but the most important lesson is that I don’t have to drink. No matter what happens, I have the choice, the power, the ability to say no to that first drink. And that’s a choice I make today, and there’s a REALLY good chance I’ll continue to make that choice each day to come. Life is just better sober. Even with all the shit. It’s always going to be better sober, no matter what my brain tries to tell me sometimes. There is more opportunity for joy, for passion, for peace and calm (which I think I love most) and for satisfaction.

This morning as I was waiting to pick up groceries curb-side and half-listening to National Public Radio (it’s always on default in my car), a voice came on, and it’s simultaneous youthful and quite ancient sound caught my attention immediately. Her name was Anne and she was being interviewed by Sam Sanders on the program It’s Been a Minute. She said she was 99 years old and I found out later when I looked up the interview that she was a Holocaust survivor and had escaped Germany ending up in New York City as a teen. She said something like, “I am honored that you think I have something to contribute,” in her sweet voice – well, of course she does. I was interrupted briefly when the fella came to load my groceries, but I knew I had to hear what Anne had to say. I got on the road home, and she was talking about being in NYC during 9/11 and because her daughter works at NYU, she ended up comforting some distraught college students. Her words hit me - I couldn’t help the tears and feel the serendipity that I happened to be listening to the radio for the half hour it took me to drive and pick my groceries, on this day when I am reflecting on what got me to today. I want to share what she said, it’s so simple, and mirrors what is often said here at Talking Sober but coming from her 99 years of experience and wisdom, it really resounded. As I am going through some tough times lately, and when I have tough times in the future, I will remember what she said. Anne told these college students:

“You have to pick up the pieces of where you are so you can go on. We have to take inventory, take inventory of our lives and make a list of our strengths. Make a list of things that nobody can take away from us. I made a story that everybody has a toolbox. And make a list of what’s in your toolbox. And you’ll find that you have a lot of tools. You can read, you can write, you can talk, you can walk, you can breathe, you can make a difference, you can forgive, you can love, you have a lot of tools even if you think somebody’s taking everything away from you.”

In response to a question about whether Anne feels hopeful even now, during this year of struggle we are having in 2020, she replies emphatically saying yes, yes, yes, over and over, and explains, “Because there are seeds in the ground that will come up…A new life will blossom out of the ruins.”

Anne’s words were exactly what I needed to hear this morning. I felt that you all might appreciate them, too. Here’s a link to the program, the whole thing and all the people’s stories who were interviewed is worth a listen. Thanks for being a part of our collective journey here at Talking Sober. I am glad you’re here.

30 Likes

Congratulations Rosa!!

1 Like

Congrats on your 90 days.
Regarding what will happen when something bad happens I can only say for myself. In former times the walk to the supermarket buying whine was like a well trained reflex. Without thinking. Deeply engrained in my brain. I did never work but anyways. Now, most of the time when I am in difficult situation the thought of a drink doesn’t even strike my mind. I walked other roads meanwhile that really work. Talking to a good friend on the phone is what works best for me atm. Thinking about the outcome of drinking was long another. Now, the occasions when I think about drinking is when I am so fed up with life that I want to put it to an end. And also this is like a wave, it comes and goes. An old light that shows up in the wires of my mind.

1 Like

Thank you so much for sharing this inspiring post and interview. And congratulations on your 90 days. So hard fought. :heart:

2 Likes

What a wonderful post. I’ll bookmark it, and look forward to listening to the link to the show you shared when I get a chance. So darn proud of you, my friend! You’re a huge asset to this forum… and to the world! :two_hearts:

2 Likes

This is one of the most touching and beautiful posts I’ve ever read on here. :cry::cupid::cupid::cupid: Thank you so much for sharing @RosaCanDo! I will absolutely listen to the program tomorrow (night time here). Congrats on 90 days, that’s a wonderful achievement, you are going your way ma’am. :sunrise_over_mountains:

4 Likes

What wonderful post Rosa. Congratulations on your 90 days. We are kinda in the same boat in so many ways. First time sober for Holidays and old dog and old cat even January birthday :partying_face:. It’s been such a pleasure having you around on TS. I always love your shares and this one is the best yet. So insightful. I will definitely book mark it and listen to Ann’s story.
Have a beautiful rest of the day.
:pray:t2::heart::balloon::balloon:

2 Likes

Thanks so much for taking the time to share with us. Congrats to you.

1 Like

Congratulations Rosa! We are indeed very blessed to be on this journey with you. Thank you for the share :pray:t2::two_hearts:

1 Like

Hello Rosa,

I had the same feeling / thoughts this spring, that what will I do if life kicks back at me. Like if something awful happens to my loved ones etc. Coincidentally yesterday at my AA meeting I shared that I wont pick up a bottle today if I lose my job, relationship or even out of grief.
Im sober Since july 2019, and I guess I have learned to use my toolbox. Im also 38 years old and my birthday is Jan. 25 :slight_smile:
Wish you well on your sober journey!

1 Like

Huge congratulations girl. I am so proud of you and have enjoyed so many of your shares while on your journey.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing. I got the chills!! I needed to hear this this morning. Thank you, thank you. Great job on 90 days. I love that you are here.

@Rosenberg my bday is Jan 25th too!

1 Like

You all are so kind and really make a gal feel special. Thanks for all the encouraging words and for sharing of yourselves in kind. This is all part of why I am here, and I am so happy to be here with you as part of this community. Looking forward to triple digits, Christmas and New Years soon after, all sober, with your support and inspiration! Love you guys :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Congrats on 90 days!!! I do love NPR :sparkling_heart: Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

Great share Rosa! Congrats on the big 90!!! Keep on rocking it!

1 Like

@Rosenberg rock on January babies…Aquarians are rad! Mine is the 31st :kissing_heart:

1 Like

@RosaCanDo I somehow am just finding this thread so I apologize for my late posting…Congrats on your 90 days!! I’m so proud of you and so excited for your excitement about sobriety. I love that feeling.

Thank you so much for sharing that link, I love NPR but I’d never heard that segment. I’ll check it out and will definitely listen to Anne’s interview. I love that quote you shared. I’m so glad you’re a part of TS and I’m proud to be on the sober journey with you :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Oh Rosa, this is so beautiful - just like you! I was waiting to read this until I had some time to just indulge and soak it in, and now I can’t wait to listen to the program!

You have so aptly captured (as you so often do) what I couldn’t put into words myself… that “what if?” feeling - the feeling that perhaps some big grief will come along that undoes my days. But then this - the reality that nothing but me can undo my days, and I have a choice either way. Thank you so much for sharing your story and Anna’s too. These are the stories that give us strength, a little more heft to these toolboxes of ours! In some ways, TS is like a tool library - where we all get to share our tools. Your presence on this forum sure adds to my toolbox… :pray:

Congrats on your 90, lovely, and yes - let’s be excited about our sober holidays, new years, and your 39 years to look forward to! One delicious day at a time :wink::orange_heart:

2 Likes

@Nordique thank you! Proud to be on this journey with you, as well. I’m so glad the election season is over so I can listen to NPR again! Though these days I tend to pick and choose my programs via podcasts more often, which helps mitigate some the news of the world overwhelm that can happen.

@M-be-free49 I feel honored that you would find a quiet moment to read what I had to say. You are so right about TS being a part of the toolbox, and I am so grateful you’re here and we can build these remarkable sober relationships - there is just something about knowing that someone gets “it.” That “it” that can’t be fully described that is so a part of us.

I feel I should put out a heads up that the program I linked to was quite emotionally hard for me to listen to at times, dealing with grief and loss during the pandemic. I had no regrets after listening to it, but definitely have tissues at the ready. We are all going to have to come to terms with the tremendous season of loss that this year has brought to the world, but it is a part of living this life, isn’t it.

3 Likes