Runners and other fitness freaks

You just have to get on with it. I just forced myself through the 6km run in cold wind and rain, it was tough but it’s over now and I feel good for doing it.

Set goals like run 1km walk 1 km and as you build up run further and walk shorter distances. The first two weeks are tough, say 3 times a week, but you’ll soon find it gets easier and you look forward to it.

For me it’s the best therapy there is.

2 Likes

Running group is a great idea! I actually started a running group/walking group with my home AA group. We have a few people who are pace leaders so people feel comfortable going their own pace right after the meeting around a loop at a park near by. It’s really fulfilling.

2 Likes

Oh yeah not to mention exercising actually is one of the few activities that helps repair our brain neurotransmitters!

2 Likes

Absolutely, I’m tired now but feeling better for having done it.

1 Like

I was so excited that I wasn’t playing crazy person at the therapist, Soccer Mama or Cheerleading Mama tonight. I had time to get to the gym!

Got in 5 miles and killed my shoulders, back and chest. Time to get showered and head back into Mommy mode!

2 Likes

Thanks @LeilaBird will check it out too :blush:

If you are not competing then why do you need to get in the zone to get fit and healthy? That in itself is enough motivation.
If you are competing or trying to qualify for Kona for example then use that as your motivation to get in to the zone.
I try and meditate before a big race or training sessions which helps me race with my head not my heart which in turn means i generally finish strong, which is when a bit of heart is needed at the end to get through the pain.

10km run done, I skipped the 5km and thought I’d push it today. Glad I did.

I have lost 9llbs in weight - 4kg. I’m chuffed. Feeling strong and healthy and on track. 50days sober today.

Have a great day everyone.

8 Likes

Great job, @Daithi! I’m down 5.5 this week myself. Over the halfway mark to get to my goal.

Got a cool 4 miles in this morning, felt really good.

4 Likes

this is Southampton Airport runway run last Sunday. A little 5k charity run. We had to start at 6 a.m.to be finished before the planes started using It! Good to be getting fit again :blush:

6 Likes

An airport runway sounds like an awesome place for a 5k! How was it??

I would have to run around with my arms out pretending I’m a plane :grin:

5 Likes

I love the visual of that. But, you know if you’ve got your arms out like a plane, you’re going to look silly if you’re not making the airplane sounds too!

1 Like

I did :blush: just about stopped myself from making plane noises…

2 Likes

It was great. About 600 people. Raising money for the local air ambulance service. The runners were led off down one of the taxi slip roads by a fire truck then out on to the main runway.

8 Likes

Such a cool event! I love this! What a great start, course and cause. All the makings for a great race morning, and a medal to boot? I’m a sucker for my medals!

2 Likes

Who’s still active? just finished a 6km run, 1min 30 secs faster than last week, 31 mins. No where near my goal but I’m getting closer rather than further away. I really didn’t feel like it as I was driving 7 hours today, if I wasn’t sober I’d never have dragged my ass out to do it.

This weekend I’m climbing Helvellyn in the Lake District - 3rd highest mountain in England so that will help with leg strengthening.

Weights and planks tomorrow.

On track and 11llbs lost - 5kg.

7 Likes

I am always active, but not running…sad.

Good job on your stats!

Crushed some good mileage in the Florida swamp on my mtn bike this week…managed not to get sucked dry by mosquitos or the heat.

4 Likes

I’m doing spinning and yoga tomorrow! I live in a very hilly part of town so I want to get my legs stronger so I can ride my road bike up and down the hills with ease. Hopefully spinning will help build my leg muscles and yoga can keep my body limber and fluid.

Everything starts to hurt past 35+… lol.

2 Likes

Consider getting a flip belt (or any brand similar). I had a big phone I didn’t think I could bring along on runs, but I stashed very well in one of those and didn’t budge thru running an entire half marathon. I know REI has some, I’m sure plenty of other places for cheaper. Go somewhere to try one on for correct sizing first if you decide to order online.

If you bring your phone, Pandora and Spotify are great music apps.

1 Like