Running in Recovery in 2024

Nice new watch :confetti_ball::tada::confetti_ball: I love my garmin!! I’m testing it out either friday or saturday for swimming. It says it’s waterproof so we shall see. I use to have an apple watch but it broke and garmin was the more affordable choice for replacement.

2 Likes

Yes I have few other smart watches (tho not very good for sports) so was thinking to buy something like Huawei GT4, but as for running Garmin seemed much better option. Its hard to find one watch what has it all in one. Maybe something like Garmin Venu 3 or Vivoactive 5 seems allrounders, but still its missing that bling bling of GT4 or GT4 Pro :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Jen, I’m so sad to read this. I was just telling someone I don’t know what I would do if I couldn’t run.

I had PF once and it took me a LONG time to recover. I attributed it to a confluence of 3 things. I was the heaviest I’d ever been in my life, I wore cheap shoes, and I had started a job which required me to be on hard floors. I don’t think any of those fit you (you aren’t heavy, you love your nice new shoes, you work at home - I think). So, I guess it just happens sometimes.

I am no expert, but I would recommend a couple things…

Rest and take it slow (as others have said). Resign yourself to the fact this is going to be a long battle. Can you bike? Group fitness? Swim? I grew to like biking. I definitely prefer running but biking provides many of the same rewards.

At some point you will run again. Maybe try very small “test” runs, well spaced out. I don’t feel a little pain is the end of the world, just listen to it and back off.

Perhaps try some different shoes? I think I remember you saying you like a certain style, Asics maybe? I started getting 3 or 4 types into a rotation, Nikes, Asics, Brooks, and Saucony are all my favorites. But I try to mix them up. I feel all shoes have there pros and cons and work/stress different parts of the body.

I am not a fan of overly cushioned shoes. I don’t feel that’s how the body was designed to run, it’s not natural. I have a pair of minimalist shoes I occasionally use, makes my feet feel great. Of course I’m a bit of a contrarian so it could all be in my head!:slightly_smiling_face:

I will say this… once I got over it, it never came back. It’s weird, I’ve had numerous running injuries, more than I can remember actually. Once I recover, they never come back. Except turf toe, but that is a residual from an old football injury and a different story.

I wish you well, stay positive my friend!!

4 Likes

Garmin works well for freestyle - it gets a bit wonky in the reading a if you’re doing other strokes or lengthy stints with your arms forward (drills or kicking)!

2 Likes

Thanks friend :blush: And thank you for all the suggestions. You are right on all accounts. I wear a few different models of asics. I’ve tried nike, brooks and hokas. I didn’t like any of those. I can give saucony a go. I do work from home however I recently tried to start standing more with my stand up desk so I’m not sitting all day. We have hardwood floors and I don’t wear shoes when I’m in the house so I have been standing barefoot. I had another strava friend recommend rolling my calf out with a broom stick because their Pt said it can happen from
tight calves. I did that yesterday and today my foot was a little less inflamed when I woke. I take the dogs walking on wed and thurs so I’ll gauge how my foot is and decide if I can attempt a short run this weekend.
I did the spin bike yesterday and I have weights today and tomorrow and then friday I’m going to sign back up at the recreation center for the pool.
ps- I wore shoes all day yesterday too so maybe that plus all the stretching and rolling I’ve been doing helped.

4 Likes

That’s good to know. It’s says it’s waterproof and has a swim setting to record but electronics mixing with water just doesn’t make sense in my brain lol

1 Like

Well, geez, you have quite a plan of attack! I did not and learned everything the hard way!

1 Like

Jen, during my two bouts of PF I had Dr foot insoles in every single pair of shoes… High arch support. Swimming and cycling are superb suggestions. Good luck, thinking of you.

2 Likes

I’ve got a great work out routine going & planned on running this week. I’ve always wanted to do a 5k & there’s a good one on mother’s day. But, my heel & now the arch of my foot are preventing that. Frustrating! I know it will get better with stretching, ice, massages, etc but :weary:
Thanks for letting me vent!

2 Likes

C25k week 2 run 3 done this morning before work. Tight hip flexors and a but of a niggle in the knee… pretty standard for when im running. Plantar fasciitis is feeling ok though so thats the main thing

5 Likes

d3f8ee2027d996eebe19c63b3f609761d3ab4f9eIMG_20240203_161128

20240203_174254

4 Likes

Ran a nice six miles today at a 10:15 mile pace; the sky is blue, the wind was brisk, and there were many cyclists out to avoid! Haha

Hope everyone is well!

5 Likes

I NEEDED some running endorphins today. I went out for just a mile to see how my foot was and I ended up going around the block :face_with_hand_over_mouth: My foot is a bit sore now but it was fine during

2 Likes

“Just happened to run a 5k….” - LOL well played :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nicely done though - clearly the stretching and effort are working on your tootsies!!!

1 Like

Yes, it has been good but I was starting to go into a depression spiral. There was minimum discomfort during the run but now after I walked the doggos and went grocery shopping I have some pain. I’ll do the iced water bottle on it and make such to stretch it out this afternoon.

2 Likes

How did swimming work out for you??

I punked out. I was suppose to go friday but I ended up sleeping in which threw my entire morning routine off so I didn’t. Then I was sick over the weekend. I took tomorrow off for a mental health day so I’ll go up and check it out. I’m a decent swimmer and I like swimming but I’m not big on people and the recreation center is full of those :joy:

1 Like

:rofl: 100%!!!

1 Like

I made an appointment for a “sports” massage on monday. The guy I talked to said it’s different than a regular one because they focus on the trouble area and the attaching joints. I had multiple people recommend that in my runner groups on FB.

2 Likes