Sad that i relapsed!

I started off the year doing great. No drugs, no alcohol. Was clean and sober for 2, almost 3 months. It is now the end of may and i just got off a binge. I feel so horrible that i relapsed. But i guess its part of recovery? I didnt wanna fail but it happens more than i know. I just need some motivation and support so i can push myself to keep going!

8 Likes

This sounds like you are giving yourself to relapse again. Relapse isn’t part of recovery, it’s part of active addiction. It certainly happens, but it doesn’t have to. I know plenty of people who have gotten sober their first try. Those are the people I gravitated towards when I was in early sobriety. The ones who told/showed me it could be done without relapsing.

14 Likes

Welcome to the community :raising_hand_woman:

1 Like

Welcome!

Relapse is a choice. It may not seem like it, but it is. Cravings will not kill you. Giving in eventually will. You can choose to relapse…or choosecto live on here, choose to join a recovery group

Next time you crave, what will you choose?

8 Likes

Hi Stephanie
Welcome to the community.
Wow - you did start the year off great with no drugs and no alcohol - almost 3 months is unbelievable.
Did you do it cold turkey? Did you have help? Were you going to meetings?

I’m sorry that you relapsed. I wouldn’t call it a part of recovery. I do think many of us go through our ebbs and flows in the recovery process. You relapsed and still have the will to be clean - That’s what matters most – Glad you came here and I think its an amazing community with loads of support to help in your recovery.
You are able to do it (already proven this to yourself). If you are already doing meetings (maybe attend a few more at the beginning). Have you considered changing your routine? Many threads here to help you with your recovery –
check out the following threads in particular

Checking in daily to maintain focus #54
Cravings & how to beat them, Isolation vs. Connection, H.A.L.T

Wishing you the best of luck and hope to see you around.

4 Likes

@Sunshine54 we can choose learn from the relapse and enjoy the process of recovery. We are in progress. Towards a ne beginning. We never start from square one. We start when we drop

5 Likes

Ok! Herevis a tougher question…how? That is what tripped a lot of us. I “tried to quit” for decades. Whem I realized nothing worked…and tried something new, things changed for me.

So…(its a loaded question…i know) how are you going to be sober?

5 Likes

All sounds great! We are here as well to help

4 Likes

It’s ironic that this battle can be won only when you surrender. I found i had to surrender to sobriety. The daily struggle to not drink always ended in failure, even when I was determined to overcome it.

But what I was really fighting was the discipline and leveling of pride that I knew I needed to follow the AA program. It doesn’t matter which program you choose, you will need help and to do some things you do not want to do, change yourself in ways you think now that you cannot.

When I surrendered to the idea of being sober,even just for one day at a time, I was able to relax and to seek help and to change.

Blessings on your house :pray: as you begin your journey.

7 Likes

I tell myself that relapse just isnt an option theres too much at stake, it will never stop at 1 ive accepted that and so i have to find another way…thankfully there are alot of other options out there one of my favourite ones is coming on here to talk stuff out so i can stay on track, wish you well and sending love :heart:

4 Likes

A lot of people say this but I’ve had hundreds of relapses and drinking and doing drugs was never part of recovery. Drinking and doing drugs is part of addiction, being sober is part of recovery. Like I said it took me ages before I had finally had enough so I’m not judging you but we are a lot better off if we don’t try and justify our failures. But we can gain from the experience F. A. I. L. First attempt in learning.

7 Likes

Join AA or some other recovery group where you can connect with other addicts. We can’t fight the disease alone, or through just logic or willpower.

1 Like