Saying hello .... and on day 3 again

Hello all. I’ve been here awhile ago but didn’t interact much. I’ve tried to go it on my own but that’s not working. I’m 53 and have been a problem drinker for the past 17 years. Have been trying to get sober for the past 5. I never been good at asking for help but I know I need too. Your posts are inspiring and I’m going to make a good effort to post daily … I keep hearing you got to get out of your comfort zone to get better. Please keep those awesome posts coming. I need them

24 Likes

That’s what’s great about this forum, you’re never alone. We’re all here to help each other get through another day sober.

Getting out of my comfort zone has been a game changer for my sobriety. You should join us on the daily check in thread. It’s a great way to get to know people and it’s a good form of accountability. Here’s the link: Checking in daily to maintain focus #20

5 Likes

Welcome, formally. I hope you’re able to find what you need here.

1 Like

Hello and welcome to Talking Sober Lorelei! My name is Jim. This is a great place to be as there is wonderful people here willing to help and offer support when needed. I’ve had my fair share of slip ups… I’ve been on and off this app since 2017. Then one day things just fell into place. Tips? Read/reread and post often. Revisit an old hobby or pick up a new one. We are all rooting for you and I want to wish you continued luck on your journey.

2 Likes

Thank you! I think that’s a great place for me start.

3 Likes

Welcome! Its called a comfort zone for a reason :slight_smile: but we need to move out of it sometimes to get what we want.

You’re among people just like yourself so post often, read often, and ask whatever questions you have.

You can do it!

4 Likes

Welcome back :raising_hand_woman:

Lots of good, experienced folks here. The search function (magnifying glass) is a Great tool for finding content that you’re interested in.

Also sharing a YouTube talk on what to expect on your sobriety journey. I really liked the discussions on brain chemistry.

And post!!! As a general rule, we don’t bite :+1::pray:

2 Likes

Hi @Hummingbyrd! So glad you’re back and making a wee intro here, getting ready to give the sober horse a proper go! You’re absolutely right, in your comfort zone you’ll find what you know, you’ll find the warmth of drink, when you’re sad when you’re nervous and when you’re celebratory, it’s the known answer and that has run its course for a while now in your life it seems. What I found
true when I first got sober was: getting sober only changes everything. Look outside the known and challenge yourself. These new experiences, new ways to deal with life, new answers WILL come. I guarantee that. You have to have support, which you find here, accountability, people knowing what it’s like, you can find all these here and can work on finding them out in the world around you aswell. But leaving the comfort zone is a must for what you’re trying to undertake. This doesn’t mean you have to be uncomfortable all the time, it won’t be scary or bad all the time. It just means that the ways drink is entagled with your life are much more manifold and sneaky than you’re aware of right now, and that you’ll need the courage to change things along the way, when you become are of them. We will be here along the way for you, cheering you on and sharing what we know happily! Welcome and all the very best!

3 Likes

Feeling good and positive today but different than before. On other attempts I was determined to get this under control. This time I’m surrendering. I’m not sure if I want to do AA but I know for myself step 1 is a must. Didn’t realize how exhausted I was trying to control this. I feel at peace for the first time in a while. I’ve got a big weekend coming up. It’s our 9 th anniversary and we are planning on camping… huge trigger for me. I could say we shouldn’t go but this is something we both enjoy doing together for a lot more reasons than the alcohol. I’m going to take the advice of just try living sober instead of worrying if my husband is disappointed if I’m not drinking. Wish me luck :four_leaf_clover:

6 Likes

I’m probably a bit weird on this one: but I like my comfort zone. I tried to get out of it numerous times (especially in social situations), but came to terms with the fact that I’m an introvert. Nothing wrong with challenging yourself, but I like to see it as exploring different comfort zones. I think there is a difference between good and bad comfort zones. Living without alcohol might be out of your CZ, but that’s the good kind obviously :slight_smile:
(It’s hard to explain in English, hope I get my point across.)
Love your name btw, Lorelei!

2 Likes

I’m also on day 3 after multiple restarts. Feeling so much better for not drinking grinning:

2 Likes

I’m going to keep that in mind because I am definitely an introvert that needs social lubricant. So far I feel safe with this community, definitely don’t feel I’m ready for a meeting cause I know I’d just say what I think I should. I’m going to soak up everyone’s experiences and see what works for me. I do know it feels good to be here where I feel understood :two_hearts:

2 Likes

Hi @Gracie18. My restarts go way beyond multiple so glad to have a fellow 3 dayer. As long as we don’t give up even if we have to restart we are not letting it beat us. I saw someone post something along the lines of whatever I have to do today does not require I drink to get it done. So today I will not drink… well I better say this morning I won’t and then come back and pledge the afternoon and evening since those are the toughest parts of the day for me. Here’s to getting through this day!

2 Likes

Hello and welcome! Stay strong and take it one step at a time, we’re here if you need us! It’s nice to meet you both @Hummingbyrd and @Gracie18. Be kind to yourself :pray:t2::two_hearts:

1 Like

@Salty Hope you don’t mind me @-ing you here… But (:sweat_smile:) I know you go camping (or glamping) a lot and had to get over the triggers. Any advice?

You can do it, it’ll be even better!

I’m real new to sobriety- I’m a serial relapser :roll_eyes: and I’m not sure how much sober time you have but for the few first weeks I’m sober I try nothing new. I let myself hibernate or basically do whatever I want (besides use obviously) once I get a foothold on it then I try to add in new activities or slowly get outside my comfort zone. I’m clearly no expert but be patient with yourself :slight_smile: one thing that triggers me is being overwhelmed with all the things I “need” to do to stay sober. Don’t throw too much on yourself. :heart:

1 Like