Tips on things to avoid when trying to stay sober?

As stated above, has anyone got any tips? I seem to get sober for a few days or weeks then end up messing up again, so generally hoping for something that could help

5 Likes

Generally I avoid drinking. :wink:

Really though, that’s about it as far as avoiding stuff. I even skipped social gatherings that had booze for a little while until I had some days behind me. What sort of things most often led you to your DOC?

Better than that though, what could you do instead? Stuff that can strengthen your sobriety?

Exercise? Time with loved ones or home projects? Spending time on the forum? Maybe find some recovery meetings to join each day?

What are reasons you want to get sober? Spend more time on those things.

I thought, “who has time for all that?” at first. But turns out all the time freed from not drinking gave me lots of time to work on sobriety instead!

8 Likes

Yeah i get you, it seems i constantly end up going back to it no matter what, it seems little things 'convince 'me to go do it

2 Likes

Sounds like ‘little’ things ain’t so little? Or we let them get bigger than we need to.

Like that saying, “Did you really have a bad day, or just a bad five minutes you carried around until you went to bed?” :joy:

4 Likes

Avoid overthinking it.
Learn from the past, how were you feeling, what sorts of things gave you the permission to drink.
Once you have the answer to this you know what to do.
Don’t listen next time that voice says it’s ok.
At the end of the day the voice may say it but you are the one acting on it!

4 Likes

Here are some threads you may find helpful…full of tips!! Some are not as relevant now with the virus, so keep that in mind.:heart:

6 Likes

Thankyou i will read through them and see what works for me

1 Like

I think u have to analyze ur own triggers. And then prepare against them. Have something to keep ur hands and mouth busy.

4 Likes

My triggers are absolutely anything and everything, i know why they say ring your sponsor even if brake a shoelace. Best thing i found at start was heaps of aa meetings was only place i felt safe and hanging out with other aa members, and just keep telling myself no matter what happens today im not drinking just for today.

5 Likes

Gotta change your playmates, playgrounds and playthings. If you keep going back to the same things, places and friends you had while using, you’re going to wind up in the same routine.
I’m learning that one myself.
Communication and community is also monumental. Reach out for support, surround yourself with likeminded people, open up about yourself and your addiction. You’ll be pleasantly surprised at the incredible outpouring of love you’ll receive, especially in these forums.
Sending love :black_heart:

16 Likes

Learning to be your own best friend for a while, self love…those old watering holes, and places and people are definitely triggers…DONT BE AFRAID TO BE ALONE! It gets easier with time, noone will understand your journey, so don’t look for approval, or don’t try to convince or explain to anybody…Peace and love your way

5 Likes

For me, in the beginning of sobriety, I had to stay away from the bars I used to hang at and my old drinking peeps. On Fridays after work (when I used to go to an office…) I would clear out early before the drinkers started making rounds looking for people to go out. I knew I was not strong enough or sure enough about what I was doing to sustain pressure from others and myself. I knew it would be way too easy for me to slip into my old habits.

I was lonely and felt very sorry for myself in the beginning, particularly when I scrolled Facebook and Instagram. I would recommend trying to cut down on those as well as they appear to depict a world of very happy drinkers and are great for making you feel alone when you’re not out with your old social scene.

I made some new habits: fixing a seltzer and lime in a fancy wine glass when I got home from work each night. Taking a walk to the park to watch sunset on Friday nights, etc.

It got much, much easier over time.

4 Likes

What i did:

Dint got out at night the 1st month
Avoided cooffes with drunk people
Always carry a watter bottle
If o had to go out, i only take money for one coffee
Determination…lots of it.

3 Likes

Family🤪
Seriously. Need ten characters.
:pray:t2::heart:

3 Likes

I had to change. Change people, places and things. If it connected me to alcohol, it was gone from my life.

4 Likes

I like that

1 Like

People that you consistently acted out with

2 Likes

All very good suggestions!! Thanks guys🤗

1 Like

I would use almost anything as an excuse. If I had worked hard then I deserved a wine. If I had a bad day then I deserved a wine. If someone else had a bad day then they deserved a wine and someone to drink it with. If I had a good day then I should celebrate with a wine.

You get the idea…

Just try and remind yourself how ridiculous you sound when your brain is convincing you it’s a good idea. It’s not and you don’t deserve to let yourself down again. The best way to celebrate is to wake up without a hangover and the best way to get over a bad day is to wake up feeling fresh for the next.

6 Likes

Thankyou everyone for these, im gonna try every single one and see if it works for me and helps its really appreciated thanks so much

2 Likes