Scary experience

I just woke up to what I thought was a cough but my heart felt like it was exploding, I was out of breath and I felt dizzy and nausoues.
I thought I was having a heart attack.
I just read about nocturnal panic attacks that can happen randomly. Wondering why this just happened. I still feel weird.
Should I be worried? I’m scared to go to sleep now.

You should probably talk to a proffessional as an internet forum may not be the best place to give advice on that kind of stuff

It’d be best to see a doctor just to be sure, could it be sleep paralysis? I get this sometimes, much less now I have a long time sober but used to get it quite often.

1 Like

Definitely talk to your doctor. I have a lot of experience with this annoying thing. When in REM sleep the brain runs, and when the brain runs unchecked my panic can come out of nowhere.

1 Like

Agreed on talking with your doctor. Lots of bizarre things happen in early sobreity as one’s brain chemistry normalizes. Best just to get it checked out as you go along.

2 Likes

Apparently a friend of mine experienced it too right after her bf died. That was way scarier than a nightmare or sleep paralysis. Going to do yoga before bed now. There’s not much you can do for it. I’m already on meds… they just suggest avoiding alcohol/caffeine and doing meditations before bedtime.