Screwed up

2 months sober today. I fucked it up with 3 shots of cachaça. Some crises all over. But it’s not back to day 1 - I’ll get myself together. “Not a binge” is the thing for me right now; tomorrow I’ll be back on me feet again.

I could see it coming, but it happened anyway. Trying to see it as a part of a process. Sometimes reality is a pain in the bollocks.

Any suggestions of what to do tomorrow?

2 Likes

Don’t drink :upside_down_face:

But you said that you saw this coming. What steps will you take next time you see it coming so you don’t hit the same bump on the route?

Reaching out is important. It shows that you took responsibility for your mistake and you’re ready to move forward. Celebrate! I like to make cookies or buy a pie (can’t make pies to save my life) or eat a whole pizza by myself. It’s not the healthiest but it’s better than drinking.

3 Likes

Reset your sober timer and work your program!

8 Likes

Maybe come up with a plan for the next time you see it coming. It’s good to have a sobriety plan. We can wander into addiction, but we can’t wander out.

6 Likes

Did you take some time to explore what life is like when you’re healthy and grounded?

You asked that question (in different words) here:

There is a tendency in your thinking (which you share in your posts here) to romanticize drinking and drugs as gateways to fun or good memories. Truthfully if they were real fun I doubt you’d be here with us on Talking Sober :innocent:

So. If drinking and drugs are bullshit - if what is needed is to open a new chapter of life without that bullshit - then you need to ask what you want.

Do you want to be healthy?
Do you want to live a life where you aren’t regretting irresponsible choices? (I’m not saying a life without understandable regrets. I’m saying a life without regretting irresponsible choices, which isn’t the same thing.)

The answer’s pretty simple, it’s either yes or no. (“Maybe” or “I’m not sure” means no, or at best, not yet.)

If the answer is yes, you want to be healthy and not regretting irresponsible choices, then you have to make it your top priority. It is a higher priority than anything which may put you at risk. If you ever feel like something might push you into danger, you cancel it, or you say no, or you go to an recover group (Online meeting resources) or log in here and check in:

Checking in daily to maintain focus #41

Ask yourself: if being healthy and not regretting irresponsible choices is my top priority, am I willing to go to meetings to get there? Am I willing to change my daily routine? Am I willing to change my social group, if needed to stay healthy?

If it’s your top priority, the answer is pretty simple :innocent:

Take care & keep checking in :+1:

9 Likes

Are you trying to talk yourself into justifying moderation?

For me, “sober” is defined by Restriction F printed on the back of my driver’s license “No amount of alcohol or drugs”. No wiggle room for me, if I want to keep my license. It was revoked for life in 2000 due to multiple DUIs. I got one chance to have it reinstated in 2008. If I use or drink and the state discovers it, I am on foot for the rest of my life.

9 Likes

All those sober days are not lost, but I think you still need to reset. I tried doing what you are talking about…rationalizing that it was only one drink so it doesn’t count. I didn’t reset and then I relapsed again-got worse and worse. You’ve got to be honest with yourself. I know it sucks, but if you’re not honest with yourself about this , then things start to slip far too quickly, at least from my own experience. Learn from this, get back up and move forward. Day one again, but stronger this time♥️

5 Likes

Try a meeting might help wish you well

2 Likes

Matt, 'oi there namesake, you really got me thinking. I’ve been too much onto some family, work, house stuff and I kinda… went away from my resources, such as this group. I’ll just try to go back to where things worked. I had today a great session with the psychiatrist - Reduce meds, try “alternative” things, keep me busy. The “pleasant” memories are still around, but the hangover today made me remember why I quit.

Thank you all for the support.

1 Like

My pleasure mat. Take it one day at a time and remember it’s exactly like climbing mountains: the way to success is to just keep doing one step at a time. It’s always just “what’s the next little step” and take it. :innocent:

1 Like

@Mat77 Reality is Not our Truth.

Ask Yourself: “Why did I decide to”?

Start from Your answer, disprove your answer (True Self-Examination) and NEVER pay for the lesson again!

Born and raised in a plateau, mate. I know a thing or two about mountains and waterfalls. I’m still dizzy, but my network came along and said “It’s just a stumble - You got this.”

I’ll take their words. I’ll give it a go for my article tomorrow, clean up the house and get some meat from nearby neighbours, something like that. Thank you so much for your kind words.

1 Like