Second time going Alcohol free (But where to start with resolving mental health issues?)

Hi Everyone,

I have just joined the group having started my second attempt at an Alcohol free life.

I have decided to do this again due to my life falling apart around me. Alcohol induced depression, Anger, fall outs, low self esteem, job issues, health issues the lot. No more

Two years ago I managed to go 11 months and felt utterly amazing although I still hadn’t dealt with my deep routed issues around PTSD, Childhood and other life / mental health issues. So when I thought I could quite happily enjoy alcohol again. The negative cycle started all over.

I am determined this time to seek the right mental health support whilst I give up alcohol. But knowing where to begin is a minefield. CBT, talking Therapies, Psychotherapy, Psychiatrists, anti depressants, mindfulness and general fitness.

I am keen to know if anyone has been on the journey of solving a lifetime of traumatic experiences and can advice the steps they took?

Thank you all and best of luck in your own journeys.

Craig

3 Likes

Hi Craig :wave: Great that you’re reaching out for support!

Where abouts in the world are you, as that may affect practical advice people give. I imagine though the first step is discussing with your doctor. In the UK there is a charity called Mind that has a helpline which is also pretty useful in terms of talking through the options.

Might be worth you dipping in to this thread which is the most recent/ active discussion about mental health and sobriety.

From a general wellbeing perspective, a healthy lifestyle is always good, it’s finding the right way to do it for you. Walking, yoga and meditation are my go to activities. Use the search function :mag: top right for lots of good resources on those :blush:

2 Likes

Thank you ever so much for your help and support. Yes I am in the UK. So I will follow up with the mind recommendation.

Much appreciated

Craig

1 Like

I spoke to them a couple of weeks ago and found them very kind and helpful. Depending on where you are you might be able to access CBT quickly. If you search for IAPT in your area, you might be able to find an online referral option.

If you see your GP they are likely to prescribe a combination of antidepressants and a referral to CBT for depression/anxiety. As per @ifs thread this isn’t a quick fix, it’s often a lot of trial and error about what will work and it can feel quite daunting.

Just know that by being sober it is one less barrier in your way to getting where you want to be :blush:

2 Likes

I’ve had a few relapses. Just did again over the holidays and I am now on my 17th hour alcohol free. I am taking it an hour at a time this time. I am also having a bit of a change in lifestyle. Early last year, I started going to the gym quite regularly and it helped. But I too have quite a number of mental health issues that I didn’t quite deal with very well and I want to attribute that to my relapse…but I think it is much bigger than that. I have started on meditation. An hour of rigorous gym early in the morning. I have also found a weekly AA meeting close to me that is LGBT friendly. And I have sought the help of a counselor. I am hoping that these will help me…might also help you.

I did some work with Mind and will do when I move back to London…they are very nice and helpful. Do give them a call, Craig.

I’m with you in solidarity my brother.

1 Like

Hi Craigyboy,

I can’t give any better practical advice than has already been given, but just to say well done for asking for help, I’ve been there and I know it’s tough. Mind are a great resource. :heart: Will be thinking of you and sending good vibes your way.

1 Like

Olouch,

Thank you for sharing your story and providing advice on things that have helped you.

It is super hard what we’re all trying to overcome so any relapses shouldn’t be used as self punishment. We should learn from them and try try again.

One thing that allowed me the success last time was to not count the days. I believe counting down the days is like a target we’re aiming for which never exists. When I started to say I don’t drink anymore I started to forget what I was doing and it became normal.

I’ll give mind a call this week. I have done a lot of research into codependency and think I’m looking into the right area.

Take care

Craig

Thank you Dorset by the sea.

I’d be keen to hear your story if you’re willing to share.

All the best

Craig