Self help sobriety books

I read recently on this site about a certain book that has helped many tremendously. I can’t remember what this book was…help???

1 Like

The naked mind?

1 Like

I have not read it. Heard it mentioned a lot tho. Just off the top of my head, I’m pretty sure @Nullcorp has read it and talked about it.

The name Allen Carr is ringing a bell too.

2 Likes

I of course recommend the Big Book of alcoholics anonymous. That helped me and still does. Not for everyone of course but you could google “the Doctors Opinion” and see what ya think.

Good luck pal:)

3 Likes

“This Naked Mind” is the book I’m reading. It’s REALLY good! Alan Carr wrote one too, before TNM. I haven’t read his, but TNM uses his book and a bunch of other sources. I got the feeling from the reviews that TNM is very similar but much less dry.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

the subtle art of not giving a fuck is a good read

The Naked Mind, most likely, it is a good one for helping you adjust your mindset around alcohol.

1 Like

The Naked Mind MUST be the book you are referring to. It’s been recommended over and over to me.

I am finally number 2 in the queue for my library. I’m hoping it comes soon.

1 Like

That means for my library queue I will get all 3 books on hold at the same time…no matter the queue #! :flushed: ha, happens a lot to me!

just bought This Naked Mind as well @VSue! Its so interesting so far! I feel like I need like a whole day dedicated to reading now.

2 Likes

I’m hoping to get it before I go on a trip so I can read it in the car. We’re driving to DC and it will be like an 8 hour drive. LOL

Oh that would be perfect! I’d probably get sick. Strangest thing. Can’t read in a moving vehicle or I get car sick. Anyway I feel like this is the kind of book I’m going to have to read several times.

Is there a pdf of naked mind available online.?

https://thisnakedmind.com/

This says you can get the first 40 pages free but I don’t think there is any fully free versions online.

I’ve also been told that there are some excellent videos available on YouTube.

Can’t hurt to google around.

1 Like

ok thank u

Thank you everyone, that is exactly the book I had read about on here. Today I am 21 days sober and pretty ok about it! I can tell the difference in my mood; optimism, freedom from a heavy burden, tolerance of others, etc. I am so glad I found this community of support. Y’all rock! P.S. how do I add a profile picture so I am not just a big letter M?

1 Like

In the upper right hand corner of the screen click on the M. You should get a drop down of all your notifications. In the far, top, right of that drop down should be a “gear” picture…click that and it is your settings page. There is where you can add a profile picture.

I thought the naked mind book was a little too simplistic and talked about the “method” that isn’t original at all. But it’s a good start.

I much rather liked Blackout because I was a blackout drinker. It’s a really honest and relatable story about the stuff we do and why.

It focuses on psychology rather than throwing a lot of Google facts at you.

4 Likes

Thank you, I will put this book on my list

I will add that to my Amazon list. I’m in a weird place where I enjoy reading all about the madness of addiction to alcohol and how people find different ways out of it. If only there was a book about benzo addiction! Seriously not enough out there. Like, just about zero!

What do y’all think about Russell Brant’ s book?

1 Like