Self Reporting Alcoholism in Military

One of my best friends is currently serving active duty with many years left on his contract. He is also in a dark place with alcohol let’s just say. I’m anticipating us talking about it at some point in the future. Anyone have any experience with self reporting alcoholism in the military? Is it possible to maintain “flight status” for this? Would someone holding a job requiring flight status be grounded for a period of time?

I did try Google without luck. Thanks for the time and effort.

5 Likes

I found a couple things that might help, or at least there’s some info, like this one:

a member can self-refer to [the ADAPT program] for alcohol if they have not been involved in an alcohol-related incident and unless they are diagnosed with an alcohol use disorder (or other safety concerns) their Command does NOT have to be notified. This allows us to intervene and provide some preventative education prior to there being other long-term implications

Source:

Some info about the ADAPT program and how it relates to alcohol treatment:

https://www.dover.af.mil/About-Us/CAF/ADAPT/

6 Likes

Perfect. Thank you

2 Likes

US veteran here - I assume you ask about US military.

I had LOADS of people under me with alcohol problems. Truth is, self referral is ALWAYS better than waiting for an incident - especially if it interferes with operations.

Depending on the severity of the problem, the self-reporter might be taken off special duty status for awhile during treatment or rehabilitation… this is dependent on previous incidents, commanding officer perspective, etc.

Failure to report a problem like this if it results in a mission-affecting incident will lead to UCMJ action and may lead to discharge without needing a second incident. If the problem is reported without an incident, they’ll get the help needed without any repercussions beyond a temporary pause from special duty status.

Private message me if you want more info - I had tons of subordinates dealing with alcohol at one time or another and I have a good bit of experience here

11 Likes

This is correct, I put myself in ADAPT for a bit when I was stationed in Alaska as a single guy and drinking heavily. No one notified my command or anything and I was able to work through it. That was one of the periods of my life where I previously quit drinking for a long stretch before going back to it. The military does have a lot of great resources that avoid command notification or involvement.

Unfortunately, the military has a heavy drinking culture. It’s a common way people cope with the high stress and anxiety/depression that can accompany what we do. As a veteran I am proud to admit I did seek help often and still attend counseling on my own since I got out.

7 Likes

I have also served while in treatment. This points mentioned, follow them. I was aviation, 22yrs, the only time it affected me, was when i was on medication , restricted from maintenance/ Crew duties until, stable or stored. If you do experience restrictions for flight duties or otherwise due to meds, it won’t be anyone’s business. I told them i was grounded for chronic ear infections. Stay cool. It’s No one business unless it causes negative attention because of failure of the mission
If your scheduled for mission and you cannot perform. Or something happens, then EVERYONE will know. Incident reports and all that jazz. Bled, piss, and investigation
You don’t need that.
Yes, he can still serve in aviation
Just do it sober

2 Likes