Should I create a sober dating site?

Hello everyone,

I’m looking for opinions. I’ve noticed a lot of people on here that try to use Talking Sober as a dating site, which is not really the intended usage. Some people get annoyed when they are looking for help, but instead get “hit” on.

The idea here is to separate that from Talking Sober and give those who wish to pursue that their own space. Profiles and everything else will be separate.

There’s also the issue of dating in early sobriety. A lot of people are against it. On the other hand, a lot of people would want partners who are sober with them instead of a “normal” partner.

I’ve created a poll at the bottom and you can cast your vote.

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

1 Like

I really was torn on this, but voted yes in the end. I think people here are pretty well aware of the dangers 13th stepping involves and it still happens anyway. Might as well create a safe space for it.

That being said if this becomes more than a pipe dream send me a pm bc there are legal aspects I would like to research and talk to you about. I am a licensed attorney before you think I’m just some crackpot lol.

5 Likes

In some way i like the idea, yes it could work for someone who’s in recovery . There are so many aspect on it . Pluss sides and minus sides. Im kinda split in half here . Yes i am an curious person . But im a Norwegian and this is an foreign app. Its not about me . But wishes the vote good outcome

1 Like

While I think it is a great idea in theory – the other side of me thinks that it is something that is rife for abuse in practice given the clientele. But I voted yes – b/c ultimately someone should be able to find others with common interests-- given how important this is.

#swipeleftongoat

4 Likes

Not many year long sobrietys more under a year then over… and you really shouldnt have relationships early in sobriety so i said no. My fav quote " two dead batteries still dont start a car"

16 Likes

Employment is an awesome idea, but I’m not sure it’s something that I can do. Connecting people to people is something that’s within my grasp, but I don’t have a way to connect people to companies.

1 Like

It’s definitely still in the pipe dream phase, but why don’t you share some of the legal issues you are aware of? It would help me, and perhaps other voters, with their decision.

5 Likes

i get that this isn’t as sexy or high traffic as a dating app

Corporations only operate through their people. I could totally see someone wanting to give back by wanting to hire other sober people as a way of doing service and helping others. Seems that so much of that goes on in the rooms. But in the US i doubt that this would pass the various employment laws. Lawyers man… * just kidding @Englishd *

1 Like

I voted no. I think there is enough dating sites where you can display what you are looking for. People here are still finding out who they are sober. I’m 228 days sober and find my wants and needs still evolving. I believe under a year your focus should be on you! Although lonely at times it is for the better. Maybe if the site was geared for people with a year plus under thier belt I might be more open to the idea. My 2 cents

5 Likes

Unlike the artificial “happiness” from alcohol or drugs, companionship is a basic human need. If you could find someone that is on the same path, a relationship isn’t going to compromise your sobriety, then there’s no reason not to.

5 Likes

I’m going to wait for the right moment and use that two dead batteries line.

And claim it as my own…:grin:…but I’ll give you a hat tip in my head when I do :+1:.

4 Likes

I admit I’m torn on this. It’d be nice to meet someone where you both knew where you were coming from. On the other hand people quitting are often vulnerable and we have to accept that there are people out there who prey on the vulnerable.

4 Likes

I’ve voted Yes. I’m not looking to date myself but with protocols in place i believe it could be a good thing for sober singles looking for companionship.

3 Likes

I’m going to have to look into some things but I would be worried about liability if someone gets physically harmed through a connection here. I suppose other dating sites probably have the same issues. It might be solved with a simple waiver.

2 Likes

Not to brag, but I’m going to brag lol. I posted that line a few weeks back. Even though it has definitely been around for a long time. I picked it up in rehab in PA

2 Likes

My sponsor says I need to work on humility…

3 Likes

In my AA group there was a guy who had a line;

If you always do what you’ve always done,
You’ll always get what you’ve always got.

I liked that.

6 Likes

I do too many with Great wisdoms

I’m kind of torn about this too. Maybe the thing is I should be looking for friends and not a love interest.
I understand why someone with more sobriety under their belt would want a stable sober relationship. But I’m only two weeks sober. It’s too new and fresh for me to want to date.
I had a guy ask me out for dinner last night at a meeting. Oh my gosh :flushed::flushed::flushed:

3 Likes

He definitely should not be doing that, no matter how good his intentions. I would let some ladies know bc there are some creepers that hang around the rooms and they will warn you about them.

4 Likes