Should I create a sober dating site?

From what I looked into a simple disclosure and clickbox waiver would be sufficient, at least in the states. I’m not sure if there’s any multi-national regulations. I guess just make people promise not to be a serial killer.

You got it.

This site is more then just state wide… but that seems typical for any dating site. But what accountabilty would u have to know thier sober. You wanna search love online try eharmony, match,or pof there are plenty of places to look. id say my sucess rate from any online dating has been very low… mostly to find women that still have ex boyfriend baggage but i guess wanna play the field or make a partner jealous… ugh…merica

1 Like

I mean there’s really no way to guarantee sobriety. But seriously, what person in active addiction is going to want to date a sober per… Wait, nvm. I don’t even want to know bc I’m sure they exist. Ugh.

1 Like

The vote ended in a 67% yes, so I might end up doing it at some point. Unfortunately I’m a bit busy in life right now, so I’ve had to put things like these on hold.

3 Likes

My picture is going to be a windowless white van that has ‘free puppies and candy’ painted on the side.

4 Likes

Hmmmm…

Look what I dug up…

5 Likes

My perspective is that in early sobriety (the stage that the majority of people are in when seeking a forum etc for help) people need to focus on themselves and not be concerned with finding a fellow addict to curl up in bed with.
If you ask me, seeking out a relationship at that point is nothing more than looking for a distraction from working on yourself, and a distraction which could potentially be more harmful than helpful. The only benfit to a “sober dating app” that I can see is that it would perhaps steer some of the creeps away from here.
There are also sex/lust/love addicts to take into consideration. I don’t know much about that so I’d be out of place to try and say much else, but it just seems to me that the availability of such an app could potentially be counterproductive for them.

Thats just my opinion, though.

5 Likes

Couldn’t agree with this statement more @Mephistopheles

I think the idea of linking people from a sobriety site where they are looking to better their lives, to a dating website, sober or not, is a horrible idea. There are a lot of fragile people here and dating too soon or even starting a relationship with the wrong person can be such an instant trigger for relapse.

If people want to find someone sober to date then jump on one of the many dating websites and clearly state that you are sober and will only date people that don’t drink or are alcohol and drug free. I saw those profiles all the time when I used those sites in the past.

5 Likes

i think this could be a hit but i think the hardest bit will be connecting enough people in your area as it seems we’re sprinkled all over the place - UK would probably be the best dating pool :laughing:

agreed… it would be like going to a meeting, and people are hitting on you :unamused: i like this safe space.

2 Likes

I think that it’s a good idea. I know personally if I wasnt married and had to go on the dating circuit I would feel very awkward when the topic of alcohol would come up and I’d have to explain myself of sorts. Also, where do most people go for first dates and shit, out for drinks and food. It would be nice to know going into a new relationship with security knowing you wont be judged. Having a partner who understands and can hold you accountable and you do that in return would be a big benefit as well.

3 Likes

I agree with you. Good idea.

What a necro! This was an old post from 2018. I decided against it, so left the idea alone.

5 Likes

Bringing back the dead seems cool at the time, but I’ve watched enough movies to know it never works out.

9 Likes

I thought it was a good idea, even though I’m not ready for dating. Some day I will be ready, and I would use that site. But it has already been created. I don’t see any point in creating another one.

1 Like

Closing this as it’s an old topic that’s not relevant anymore.