Slip or Relapse?

Don’t let it discourage you. You didn’t lose those 28 days, they are in the books. Now you have a new record to beat.

Also, you learned a valuable lesson. You learned that instead of picking up a drink, pick up your phone and post here before you take that drink, not after.

Reset your counter and get after it, 29 days will come before you know it.

11 Likes

Reset the clock! If you feel guilty, shame, wrong, and hurtful then you know deep down you were wrong. You thought with the “alcoholic mind”. Your mindset and temptations have to be on the path of sobriety. Find your triggers! (Even if it is your husband) You have to know your acceptance into sobriety. Accept the wrongs and make them right. Yes! Is now the No! Turn your weaknesses into your strengths. Know your strengths! Read the Big Book! At this point, celebrate your accomplishments. Don’t get distracted by nothingness and know your worth. Feel the free and live on the happiness. You got support and love from all of us in this community. No more struggles. No more guilt. It’s guidance and sobriety. Godspeed :pray:

2 Likes

Annie Grace in This Naked Mind (great book if you haven’t read it) calls these data points. That’s what works for me. What did you learn from it and move on. Don’t beat yourself up. I have done this in the past and thought ‘well I have messed up once may as well keep messing up’ and gone down an alcohol rabbit hole. Don’t do this! You didn’t do anything the next night. Head high and onwards. You’ve got this.

5 Likes

My sponsor calls that needing more research and development. Now that you’ve had that experience and didn’t like it, you get the opportunity to make new choices going forward.

Your 28 days isn’t lost, that was 28 days you didn’t drink and I know you can do that again. Like @HoofHearted said, you just have a new record to beat!

For me, I had to reset my timer once my first week and that sucked so much. But I was honest and did it. I didn’t want to have to do that again though so I have made difference choices and did whatever it takes to end each day sober. And now I’ve got 1787 days in a row of not drinking. All hope is not lost, you can still live a wonderful sober life and that’s a true gift. :heart:

7 Likes

I had to talk to my wife about drinking for me like this:

“i need help, what if i said you you hey lets just get some cocaine and herion to shoot up this friday? How would you respond to me? Its that serious. Its not just a drink, its a lifetime of blackouts and apologies, then waking up at 3 am trying to piece the events together wanting to die cause i cant do this anymore.”

That tearful conversation changed everything with us and 4 years later were better than we could have ever imagined. Im grateful beyond words for her support and help. I hope you have the same experience in your marriage.

Reset, read, work and note the improvements. Be well

8 Likes

I want to thank you for sharing your empathy and kindness to @Watercolor_Valkyrie here. Others have, too, in their own way. Your message hit me as so true to life (at least for me in my experience) and that being kind to myself in these times with an eye on the prize and a plan for moving ahead helped me more than anything after drinking again, regardless of what we want to call it or how one chooses to view their sobriety time. Thanks for this.

@Watercolor_Valkyrie you’re heading in the right direction, you have self awareness and I think you know what you want. Keep pushing yourself!

3 Likes

Acknowledging your discomfort is a huge milestone in itself. You’re not a failure for holding yourself accountable for your actions and how they made you feel. It’s important to continue to embrace what you want out of sobriety as well as yourself. I believe you’ll find comfort in resetting your timer. You got this!

“If it doesn’t challenge you, it won’t change you.”

2 Likes

Personally, I’d consider any intentional sip a reason to reset- and it’s ok if you want to name it a slip or relapse. You made 28 days, and now you have those tools and the knowledge from this slip. You can do this, even if it feels like starting over.

My only worry for you if you don’t reset is that you may feel dishonest about your days, or as if they’re tainted- and it can make it easier to make excuses in the future. If you start anew you can start fresh, like you deserve. Sending you love :heart:

3 Likes

Is sobriety what you actually want for yourself?

If so what outside support are you seeking to help your sobriety?

Do you need to set some boundaries with your husband about this?

1 Like

Hi @Mephistopheles, I’m going 10 months completely clean and the struggle is largely behind me but I have to remain vigilant and I dread any slip that would roll me back to day 1. I enjoyed reading Chapter 3. How do I access the rest of the book? I feel I would benefit from a deeper understanding of alcoholism so I can make sense of why it was such a impossible problem to beat, to harden and mature my resolve to stay clean and to be of help to others I may encounter.
Many thanks!

2 Likes

Before I eventually quit successfully, I went through 15 years of repeated failed attempts. I’d say out loud, “OK that’s it! I’m done for good! That was the absolute last time ever!”. Then to celebrate that decision I’d go out for one last one…and get back home in the morning feeling like a dead person. Pure folly, insanity.
Be honest about it, see it for what it really is, another failed attempt, a broken good run. You just have to reset and face day 1 again. You will eventually succeed. Your resolve will eventually prevail. For me it took something bad almost happening to kick me in the gut and I finally quit BS’ing myself. I almost got my wife and me killed in a highway car crash after I got home from drinking all night and decided to drive us for some errands. I figured my luck would run out soon and I’d die, kill someone, lose my family, get very ill etc. So I quit hard, cold turkey, the day of the crash. It’s 10 months now, completely clean.
I wish you success. You will prevail.

6 Likes

The Big Book | Alcoholics Anonymous - that should help.

2 Likes

Slip or relapse is just semantics. What matters is that you broke sobriety. You did well not to just give in the next night, and not resume a pattern of drinking.

Reset the clock, and push forward. This is the best thing to do, but it’s not all you can do. Consider that your will alone is not yet strong enough to resist temptation 100% of the time. Add something to your approach, be it meetings or a daily check-in thread here, an accountability partner…something more than what you’ve been doing.

2 Likes

My last “slip,” it pained me to reset my counter. I had serious time on there, and part of my intense guilt and shame was in feeling like I’d tossed it away by going back to zero. But it was important that I did. When I did my inventory of all the choices that led to my “slip” and then another inventory of what tools worked and what didn’t, my counter was a tool that worked. It means something to me to count my days. It meant something that I had to reset it. The days weren’t lost at all because they were all part of my inventory, but I did feel like I’d dishonored them. That has become great motivation for me now- a new tool! I don’t want to ever go back to the hangover, the guilt, the piecing my evening together, the frantic social media check, etc. I also don’t want to feel like I dishonored my hard work again, all my pretty days collecting like little treasures, gleaming with my sweat and best decision (to never question my decision to not drink). You can call it what you want- slip, relapse, blip. I knew I had to reset my counter because that bank of days has to be untainted. It is one day at a time of work and choices and the decision that are one of my greatest sources of pride. I switched my guilt into more motivation to never have to reset again. All the days I have right now are 100% mine and clean like little dreams come true. For me, they have to stay stain free to have the motivational magic. Because I love them. I want to only think love about them and have reminders only of my daily triumphs. But this is your decision. I say do what you think will be the most motivating for you to continue to get what you want.

7 Likes

The “Everything AA” app is incredible. Has all of the AA literature both print and audio versions. One of my favorite apps.

3 Likes

I love this quote, its one of my favorites! Thank you for reminding me of that :purple_heart:

1 Like

I started reading/listening to this book a couple of weeks ago! I haven’t done any reading lately but my schedule has calmed down a bit so I can get back into my routine. I havent gotten past the intro chapter yet, but I really like the idea of this being “data points”. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Thank you all for your encouragement and words of advice! I’d like to reply to you all individually, but tbh, I went too long between manicures, and my nails are long enough that it makes typing on my phone REALLY annoying :rofl: Can’t wait for the 11th :nail_care: lol

But anyways, I am so appreciative of the support! A few follow-ups though:

I’m a little apprehensive to dive into any AA stuff, as its seems VERY heavy on the religious stuff and I’m an atheist. No hate or judgement for those who are religious, I just don’t know how easily I’d be able to adapt a lot of the AA stuff when it (seems to be) all geared towards religion.

Regarding my husband…he is supportive of my decision but also doesn’t understand why I’m making a lifelong decision to be sober. We’d yet to have any worse consequences from drinking other than arguments and embarrassing social media posts or texts. So, I think to him, there isn’t a real problem. He doesn’t intend on being sober forever himself, but has not brought home any without my permission (which I was doing great avoiding giving until this last Saturday). He WILL say stuff like, “are you sure you don’t want to drink tonight” which frustrates the hell out me bc he knows my goals and he knows how hard a time I have with willpower. We’ve been together since we were 19 (35 now), and we’ve always enabled each other in various ways. It’s never been an issue before, but there’s never been a time when one of us wanted to make a big change. I guess I would appreciate any perspectives on how to navigate sobriety with a less than fully supportive partner.

And finally, I did reset my clock, and what’s more, I kept the widget on my phone’s home screen! Whenever I’ve relapsed in the past, I’ve been so ashamed that I removed the widget so I didn’t have to see the number start over. I left it on this time to keep myself motivated. I like what someone said above about it almost being like a competition with yourself. As a Type A personality, I do enjoy some competition :laughing:

Thanks again, everyone :purple_heart:

10 Likes

Thanks heaps. Exactly what I needed.

1 Like

Your husband sounds so much like mine at the beginning of my sobriety journey. He did not get it and wanted to be supportive and thought he was, but he wasn’t. And I really didn’t know for a long while what exactly I needed from him re support. Like what was mine and what was his, you know?

We started out as drinking and drug buddies about 27 years ago, so I get all that.

I could write on this forever…instead I will share some old threads that maybe will give you some stuff to think about. Always happy to discuss via PM as well if you’re interested. Anyway…take a look here and see if anything resonates…

2 Likes