Snap back to reality

Hi guys, first post.
I have been an alcoholic for as long as I can remember I’m 43. About 3 years ago I finally entered rehab and did 3 months. Came out pretty confident and had a good 8 months up after coming out. Then I started having a drink now and then with my then girlfriend at the time and ever since I have drank the same as I use to. Hiding alcohol, going out on my own so I had no guilt or witnesses, same old story. The last month I had started seeing a woman I really really liked but it was complicated as she told me she has a boyfriend but didn’t like him etc. I then drank for a few days straight and went on a crazy bender with messaging and all sorts of psycho babble I had to re read each morning with absolute distain. So she’s gone and that plus my daughter now 16 has been now telling me of all the depression and fear she went through having me as her drunk dad, I still see both my kids all the time but they are getting more honest as they get older which hurts. So I’m 5 days in and slowly feeling good again and will start fresh and do the work. That’s all, just felt good to let it out.
Cheers

22 Likes

Welcome jarrad :hugs::tada::pray:

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you’ve had a rough time of it recently, but you have some good motivation to get sober. This forum is a great foundation for recovery. . Read, share as much as is useful/comfortable for you. Remain open minded to different ideas and approaches. The checking in thread is a great place to create some accountability and get to know people here.

All the best :+1:

2 Likes

Welcome! Take this time to focus on your recovery and becoming the best version of yourself.

Welcome to Talking Sober, Jarrad. Your story has strong echoes of my own. I’ve used this forum, reading about others experience and as a social connection, to enhance my sobriety for a few years now.

Here’s a couple of great threads that I recommend for you to get started!

4 Likes

Thanks Jarrad. We can make it. I totally feel you. I’m 55 and drank heavily 35 years of that. Just stopped before my wife or kids found me dead on of these days. Great people here. We are all different but all the same also. Always here to chat if beed be. Be strong. We got this…

3 Likes

I’m so glad you joined, Jarrad. I have two kids of similar age. You will bring a lot of experience to the forum. Lots of support here.

3 Likes

Thank you for the kind words and links. I will definitely be sticking around, it’s been great reading everyone’s stories

1 Like

Cheers mate. Everyone seems very nice here

1 Like

Hi @jazza, welcome! Thank you for sharing your story. Together we are stronger, I’m so glad you found us :pray:t2::two_hearts:

Hi and welcome Jarrad. Really glad you’re here :blush: welcome to your new sober, better life. It’s not always easy, but it is always worth it. Remember, always say no to the drink that matters, the first drink, take things just one day at a time, believe in yourself, you’re worthy of love and happiness and you can give yourself and be this being sober; when you’re thinking of having a drink, first play the tape ALL the way through. That drink isn’t going to bring you happiness, more likely it will bring regret and misery. I wish you lots of strength and love on this journey :muscle:

1 Like

Courage!!! Thank you for sharing!!!

I think you’re better off without her.

First, if she doesn’t like him, why is she still with him? Does she feel that insecure of herself that she needs to have a “placeholder” in her life to avoid being alone?

Second, if she was looking to have you as her her next boyfriend, what makes anyone think that she won’t continue to date other men as she’s doing right now?

Anyways, welcome. I believe that if we don’t give up, and continue to search for answers to the defects of character that we carry, we’ll end up in a much better place.

Thanks for sharing

Welcome. I am happy that you found your way here, and hope you will stay.

Now that you’ve let it out, I hope you can see the opportunity right in front of you. You can turn everything around in your life. People see contrast more than anything else. Let them see the growing contrast from who you were when drinking, to who you are becoming…SOBER. With each sober day, the contrast becomes greater, more positive.

Peace.

Yeah I agree. I’ve known her since we were kids and we re connected after a few years. It was all quite nice until she mentioned the boyfriend. We actually hung out a few times with her kids as well and I felt guilty but liking her a lot clouded my vision. We never got physical as I could not do it. Haven’t spoken for a week now so it’s the right decision. Thanks

1 Like

This sounds like a great opportunity to take care of, nurture, and please the one person that matters the most … Yourself.

I’m glad you’re here.

1 Like