So I used to like to

So a question here? Does anyone have a activity hobby interest that you enjoyed before getting sober and now just are not into it at all? I really enjoyed cooking including grilling smoking bar b que all of these. I liked trying new things and different techniques. Now it’s all just a chore to be done. Anyone relate to this?

3 Likes

I agree with grilling. I’d love to drink beers while barbequing, but it was really just a way to step away and get drunk without being totally useless to my family as I was “providing dinner.” I will still throw something on the grill here and there in the future, but I doubt I’ll camp outside by the grill for 3 hours anymore. Sober me would rather be back in the air conditioning and away from the bugs.

4 Likes

I used to like to go swimming and lay out by the pool or lake…while drinking. Now, I have no interest what-so-ever to sit in the hot sun all day doing nothing.

7 Likes

Great question. Now, I dislike boating…ugh, it’s getting better though, work in progress. Before I used to just be content sitting on a boat drinking. Now, it can get quite boring. We still do it so I have to find ways to entertain myself.

6 Likes

I used to like jigaws and crosswords anything to give me me time

I used to enjoy driving a lot more. Lol. But really. Driving an hour to work with a cocktail in the cup holder and yelling at the radio. At 530 am. Ha

Now, not so much enjoyment in driving to work.

1 Like

Well I like doing crochet. But after some wine my hands would not do anymore what I wanted… duh drunk me. That is solved… being sober :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I use to love cooking, but loved the bottles of wine that went with it even more, so I am staying away from the kitchen for the time being.

2 Likes

I used to love having family gatherings at my house would give me a chance to get drunk & they would help me watch the kids . But now I just hate cleaning after them & hearing the kids screaming with their cousins bugs me always ends w a kid crying lol

3 Likes

So on this great SOBER Sunday morning I want to say hello to all here. I want to say thanks to those who have replied on this topic. It’s something that’s been sort of bothering me. Hope everyone has a great day.

3 Likes

I can’t think of any activities i enjoyed more drunk than sober. On a contrary, I’m finding most things are more enjoyable sober… Like dancing. I always thought i needed a few to loosen me up, but yesterday proved me wrong. I opened and closed the dance floor :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m still going to very much enjoy kayaking, fishing, and camping but I felt like drinking went hand in hand with them

Sure I used to like to make plans to do activities, start drinking, forget the activities and then watch netflix like a zombie and zone out.So boring. I have time to do all of the things I plan on doing now, rather than staring blankly at a tv screen not really watching it at all.
Honestly, lifes just way better sober.

3 Likes

I used to like shopping every day so I could pick up a bottle of wine. Now there is no incentive until we start running out of things. :joy:

3 Likes

Love that. Makes perfect sense.Have a good one.

2 Likes

i used to like going out on dates because you get to drink and have fun and get to know people and right now i’m not enjoying it at all. i went on a date the other day and without the wine to get you into the conversation it was awkward AF. on the other hand i’m finally able to go to the movies and actually watch the movie and enjoy it. they serve wine and beer on my nearest movie theater so before i use to order a bottle of wine and finish it like 40 mins into the movie and ordered a second one by the time the movie finished i didn’t even remember what movie did i see.
and the sober sunday morning feeling is the best! you wake up and know that you have the whole day ahead for you to enjoy it.

4 Likes

Lol I hated that.Id ask people to hang out the next day or that week and I would wake up like oh crap, I have to cancel

4 Likes

I know @Restlesssoul, I hated that too…but I did it all the time. Ugh.

2 Likes

Same. I kept ending up behind on everything. Then just depressed

1 Like

Playing Xbox. I loved getting lit and killing people. It’s just not the same but I can live with out it