Sober and clean but mentally out of control

I’m sober and clean for 1yr and 27days but I feel mentally out of control. I’m like a ticking time bomb. My anger feels uncontrollable. I go from zero to 100 in 2 seconds. Then I feel regret after I react, but the damage is done. I feel like I’m 2 different people. I have urges to relapse. I need help/advice.

4 Likes

It’s normal, you’ve been hidding those emotions when you wer using and now your brain is trying to reword itself back to normal, just try to take a minute to breathe and think of what your actions could cause. I have been there many times and still deal with it almost 3 years in but I’ve gotten better by pausing and picking my battles. Also try to find an outlet where you can vent your anger into something more positive. You don’t want to burn bridges because of one moment of lacked restraint. Best wishes hope this helps

3 Likes

@Arae thank you. I thought i was alone with these feelings. I appreciate your words.

Anytime, just keep your head up

Omg! You are not alone. I am almost at a year and I seem to have lost my patience with most everyone. I also have been wanting to stay home and be alone a lot! Hope both of these things pass quickly!

@Zoesgram1 I shared at a meeting tonight. I got really emtional but I got thru it. After the meeting, the women there embraced me. I got some phone numbers and I even committed myself to calling one of the women tomorrow at 11am. I know I NEED the accountability right now! I usually attend the meetings, don’t say anything and then leave right away. I’m felt very uplifted when I left.

So proud of You! I have been an off again on again meeting attendee. I have never spoken at my home meeting. Except to say my name and that I’m an alcoholic. You give me hope that I can speak up too! Keep up the awesome work! :grin:

1 Like

@Lokelani70 Dear friend. That happens to me. I feel anger taking control and I working in bringing peace to my heart. I am only 13 days sober but I think that one good thing of being sober is to discover more things to fix that before were hidden. My advice is be patience with yourself. Time is a good partner

3 Likes

Hey. I am the same way .653 days sober and i ve been battling depression and anxiety. Check ur family history. I know mine is full of bipolor and depression. Keep strong. Mental illness is so over looked these days.

1 Like

I have never been to a meeting but plan to go. I am an American living in Europe so I was able to find some English groups but I am really anxious about going. Do you have to introduce yourself and talk? How does it work?

No need to speak at the meetings I attend. Just my name and that I’m an alcoholic. If they are going around the room speaking you can just say you would rather listen tonight. They are all different depending on the meeting. We always open with the responsibilty of being in AA (cheat sheet on table)and end in a prayer. If you are reading from a book they usually supply them. I would recommend talking to people before or after a meeting. By going early you won’t feel so out of place. We love to help new people feel at home. 99.9 % of the people I have encountered have been amazing. I have learned something some everyone there even that crabby .01%. Lol im proud of you for going. Its hard but so worth it. If you dont like the first meeting find another. Let us know how it goes. Ill be thinking of you.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the information. I’ll keep you posted