Sober dating at 40 plus

Hay i love your online stories … please keep posting… good luck finding the one x

1 Like

Im on an online site well i was now deleted i very simply wrote on my profile no no strings attached sex no inappropriate messages just genuine people…i got dominant men asking if i was submissive,people asking for a s…g,a guy who tried to pay me!!ive figured out now free sites are no good genuine people looking for a relationship are prepared to subscribe because they dont want nutters either!

1 Like

That particular guy had created multiple accounts to get round me blocking him would not just stay away

Omg thats terrible whats happened to the good old dating a gentleman? I know my childrens dad has done online dating and hes quite settled now with a lady hes met through dating sights … im sure your perfect man is out there waiting for yiu somewhere good luck x

1 Like

Thank you for sharing. So much truth :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just turned 40 on Friday, 91 days sober…I feel your pain.

As much as I’d love a great relationship, they beat into our heads in treatment not to date the first year of sobriety. I’m like, “but then I’ll be 41!” Lol So no strings attached dating for a year? Idk brother, just saying I can relate.

One thing I’ve noticed is that if I keep doing the right things it brings the right things into my life. I assume that applies to love too… no rush tho.

5 Likes

I feel this. I’m 30, and have had men say they don’t know if they can be with someone who doesn’t drink. But I’m ok with being single still. So I’m not too worried yet lol

Id be more offended if a guy was "steaming"everytime we were together id think "am i that bad?"ive dated men and all weve done is sit in pubs when your sober they are the most boring place on earth.

:blush:are some strange thinking people out there .you deserve someone who thinks your abs amazing,supports you loves you and it doesnt cross their mind whether you drink or not…lucky escape id say :+1:

1 Like

Agreed! I’m content living my life and doing me! If the right person comes along, awesome, if not, more food for me :joy::joy:

1 Like

Well I will keep the updates going as long as I have something to say lol. I closed out the dating websites for awhile that was just like being on an infomercial channel where you have to read how great a product is but once you see it in person you realize they over sold the quality. That’s is fine. It was interesting and an experience not saying I’m done just taking a break. On a different note I decided to try different AA meetings and times. I started talking with different ppl and wouldn’t you know it there are girls that have a really good program. I started talking to someone based on somethings we have in common. We meet up from time to time at meetings and go to lunch. Things are kind of progressing slowly and that I am grateful for. We shall see. That main thing is our sobriety is first, we can talk about that anytime. We are open and honest about anything. We know that we can rely on our sponsors if needed. Not sure how it will go since I do my best to not have expectations. I wanted to share this as part of the story that I started here. I will update and continue to read this. There has been some really good advice and support and I want to thank you all.

8 Likes

I just cant be ars**d.i have my kids i potter around my little house eat what i want watch what i want sleep/get up when i want think ive become a little selfish ill end up a crazy cat lady without the cats😂

3 Likes

I like my freedom too. I can clean my place 2 am. Sleep in the middle. No nagging to get something done. I get things done on my time. I get it I like that too. My dog keeps me company.

3 Likes

Thank you! Thank you for this thread, topic, post… I am 41. Been divorced for 9 years and am 8 months into my recovery. Just recently began to think about dating. It is nice to see all of the input, and to read about your journey. Thank you, and thank you to all the people that have replied.

1 Like

I have been continuing to see the girl from the program. It has be great to go to meetings and have open honest talks. She calls me out on my defects in a way that is not offensive but helpful. I can truly be myself around her with out that normal guard I put up. Less humor and deflection instead more real and upfront. A little different from what I am used to. Mutual respect and honesty?! Who knew such a thing existed. Like most things we keep our sobriety first and we can have a meeting anytime if needed. Slow and steady. So far I am happy and find that she enhances my life. She brings out qualities I didn’t know I had. I figured I shared this much I should keep it going. Hope you are all well.

9 Likes

Now this is a kind of hope that’s nice to hear. :blush: That’s beautiful, Butch.

2 Likes

Thankyou for the update . So happy for you x

It is August time for an update…

I have been seeing the same girl since May and things though at times because she was going through a divorce we’re a little hectic it was good. We went to meetings together. We talked daily and hung out a lot. We have fun and laugh a lot. Things “were” good then the other day came to pass. Her soon to be ex made her life harder and she sought out a new sponsor. The advice from the new sponsor is to have no contact for at least 3 months until all the divorce is wrapped up and she can get some balance. How can I argue with that? I can’t. I want the best for her. She is a great person and has a great heart. So it has only been a couple days and yeah it is not easy to not talk to a person you normally talk to. Willthings come back together? Not really sure. That is really not up to me at this point. My life and my outlook on life has changed so much and so many times since I have been in the AA program and sober it is crazy. So for now I chill. Hangout with the kids. Find the hobbies I have been needing. Get back to work on my career and see where life takes me next. Where ever I end up I will probably post it here. I’m not sure what compelled me to start this post but no point is stopping now. Hope you are doing well.

10 Likes

I don’t think you need any advice man, you seem to be doing great with the situations being thrown at you and are still sober which is huge. Keep doing the right things and your soulmate will come likely when you least expect her to. Me, I do need advice and counseling because I still can’t get over a girl I dated 3 years ago, we were together 4 years. I would have married this woman and had as many kids as she wanted, I was loyal, faithful, a romantic, etc. I can’t seem to ever get over her and the frequent dreams make it a hell of a lot worse, those thoughts I cannot control. Even once a week therapy the past year hasn’t seemed to help, I’m doomed lol

It happens with the drink cause it’s “accepted as the normal thing to do” sad but true.