Sober for the first time!

Hey everyone. I’ve been reading through some of the topics on here and I’d love some advice on how you guys keep yourself busy? Today is the first day without a drink. I cried on the couch for about 40 minutes because I was craving it so bad. I know I’m only on day one but I can really see this being a huge huge challenge. I’d love some encouraging advice.

p.s I see some of you are on crazy amount of sober days and I can’t even imagine being a week sober! You guys are champions!!

28 Likes

You can do it my friend. Always remember that it gets easier with time. You only have to go thru this once, if no matter what you dont take that first drink. Also its very important to stay positive. Be sure you have no alcohol accessible in your home. Dont go places or around people that could jeopardize your journey to freedom and happiness. I highly suggest joining a program. AA, NA, etc. Also please, please, please talk with your doctor. Tell them the truth about your addiction. You may have depression, anxiety or a personality disorder that is contributing to your addiction. They may be able to prescribe temporary(non narcotic) medication that will REALLY help you in the beginning especially if you go through withdrawal. Theres tons and tons of resources available to people suffering with addiction if you look for them. With time, you wont always have that intense desire and urge to want to drink or get high and not be in youe regular sober mind. Every day u stay clean , youre one more day closer to freedom. U are more than welcome to text, email me if you need someone to talk with or vent to. I just passed 2 years on November 9th. I wish you the best. May our Creator please guide you and keep you strong on your path to recovery. God bless you. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hello :sunflower:
Oh I tried and tried and tried…It IS really hard but in this journey you’ll Learn…be kind with yourself. Dont put too much pressure. If It Can help focus on thé next ten minutes, than other ten minutes…listen an audio Books, rest, eat something sweet… It’s already a Big step to post and share. So thank you :two_hearts:

7 Likes

Thank you Mike! That is really positive advice. I’ve only opened up to my partner and a close friend because I’ve found owning up to be embarrassing. I am heading to an AA meeting on Monday which I’m quite anxious about. I am also going to be booking a visit to my doctor which again I’m anxious about. I have heard going cold turkey can be dangerous. Is this true?

7 Likes

You got this!! It gets easier when I got sober i went for a lot of long walks and avoided triggers this includes people who enable
I cut out everything and everyone who could be a danger to my sobriety i was brutal
Get out of the house get away from your triggers even if its just going to the library to read for a few hours a day
But most of all just take it One Day at a Time don’t worry about tomorrow or next week just get through today

4 Likes

Welcome Chole :wave:
Day one without a drink is a massive achievement so be proud of yourself. Wake up tomorrow and you’re on day two.
I only joined this forum a couple of weeks ago and it’s fantastic, full of great advice and if you need to get anything off your chest just shout up.
I’m on my 3rd week and like you, thinking of getting past one week felt unimaginable.
Try and concentrate on the positives and be proud of yourself for making a decision and having a go.

4 Likes

Welcome. I am in early weeks (day 10) and for the first time I have actually taken the idea that I only have to stay sober for this day seriously. I only have to go to bed sober today. The future doesn’t mattter to me right now. Just this moment and the decision I make in this moment.

First couple of days I kept myself busy by going to every online meeting that was going during my hours awake. Every 2 hours I was in a meeting. After a few days I started planning little things to do during the hour gaps between meetings. Little things like get dressed. Water the plants. Tidy one table top or book shelf.

That, coming here every day. EVERY day and posting. Not just reading but actually posting have helped me recommit to the next 24 hours. Online meetings too. I end my day with www.intherooms.com and sometimes more often if I have a wobble in the early evening. Those days I go more than once.

You are in the right place if you want this. This community is so full of wonderful people who will support you and also hold you accountable when you are full of bs (which I know I need as a pro at alcoholic bs).

Day one is an incredible achievement - you can do this I promise.

10 Likes

Thats great that youre going to meetings and have started your path to recovery! I know it can be embarrasing but try not to be. AA and your doctor want to help. Theres absolutely nothing to be embarrased about. Addiction affects people from every walk of life. The more you go to AA, the more comfortable youll get with sharing. AA is a place where u can express yourself without worrying about judgement. Everyone there is in the same boat. Its really important to vent and express how youre feeling inside. Even if you just write it down in a journal. Dont bottle it up. Surround yourself with ppl that u know will be a positive influence and stay away from anyone that drinks or may be a negative influence. Its vital that u be sure to be honest with your doctor. They want to help but they cant if youre not 100% open with them. Its nothing to be ashamed of. Addiction affects millions and millions of people, youre not alone my friend. Withdrawal from alcohol can be dangerous but it rarely is unless you have other medical conditons. It also depends on a lot of other things such as how often and how much alcohol you were consuming, how long youve been drinking, age and if u have other medical conditions. Thats another reason its vital to get help from your doctor. They can prescribe any medications that may be needed to really help your chances of getting and staying clean. They can also refer you to a therapist, psychiatrist, support groups other than AA, etc. You may draw strength from church but if that isnt your thing, thats ok too. Find things you enjoy doing, to keep your mind busy. In the beginning, you may not feel like doing anything but its important to stay busy. Go to as many meetings as u can. Walking, exercise , inspirational movies/music, or go out to see a movie, spending time with people that u love, get on the app here and share your story and help others(what u say may be just what they need to hear), work on your house/apartment or fix up your yard, vent how your feeling in a journal, if u dont have one already get a pet or set up a fishtank, get a makeover or do something that makes u feel good about yourself, read from the AA book, spend time with family, do something really sweet for your partner, play a board or video game or a mobile game from the app store, go shopping and buy yourself some new clothes, color your hair. I got tons more but Ill stop there lol. Im happy for you. Youve admitted you have a problem, youre trying hard to fix the problem, youre on here seeking help, youre going to AA, youre going to your doctor for help, youre being honest with yourself and your loved ones, youre realizing that nothing good comes from alcohol and that you deserve to have a better life that doesnt include alcohol. Youre out to a great start. Please keep me updated. Prayers :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Whenever I was going through withdrawals, I would engage in activities that would take my mind off of how I felt and what I as going through. Movies, TV shows, video games, etc. Things I could mindlessly to pass the time.

You are doing great. Just hang in there. It will get better over time. In the beginning sometimes it’s not about just getting through the day, but just about getting through the next hour, or even that moment.

4 Likes

I came on to this app not even really wanting to be sober. I knew how I was drinking was bad but tbh I hoping to maybe justify I wasn’t that bad. I cried at a loss for a while, got pissed off at people drinking or anyone letting their hair down like as thought that feeling was gone forever. I spoke to people on here and was open and surrendered to the fact I have a major problem with alcohol. Upon acceptance and taking each moment and day as it comes the days start to roll and life starts to begin again and the pain of loss begins to dull. You will have everything you want and more if you take little steps in the right direction. Your definitely not alone and we’re all proud of you for taking the first steps x

5 Likes

Thats good your going to a meeting ,get phone numbers ,everyone there has been were you have wish you well

5 Likes

Welcome to the community Chole! Great work on taking the step to join a support group - this is a wonderful place to gain advice, support and just be around fellows who understand the struggle. The beginning is super difficult and can be frustrating as you are not only trying to quit a habit but your body is detoxing from it as well. I know i did a lot of sleeping my first bit - work / sleep and repeat.

a few tips things that helped me and still help when i feel strong urges…

• keep busy (do something to keep your mind and body busy (clean house, work out, do a puzzle, go for a walk, cook or bake)
  • change up your routines -as i would associate coming home after work as the start of my drinking time, i would go for a wallk after work instead
  • change up routes (if possible) - i would drive home differently so that i would not have to pass a liquor store - go to the market or coop to get groceries so that i would not be tempted by the alcohol section
  • avoid triggering places, people and events

I did spend a LOT of time here reading, checking in daily and practicing gratitude. Found that this community has helped me immensely. We are unable to do this journey alone so i am grateful to see you here with us. You may also consider other meetings or recovery groups in person or online to help keep you going.

Just take it one second at a time - the urges do go away. The more you push through the stronger you become. Sending you love and strength.

join on these threads when you are ready…
Checking in daily to maintain focus #62
Daily Gratitude, The Air Of Recovery #5

3 Likes

Thank you! I was struggling to see an hour or even 20 minutes as an achievement because it seems so insignificant compared to a week, month or year. I am starting to see how the hours or even minutes are an achievement because I would usually be drinking in that time.

6 Likes

Welcome Chole :wave: Good to have you aboard :grin:

The quote the app sent me this morning was “Believe you can, and you’re halfway there” Thought of that when you said you can’t even imagine getting to a week. You can and you will.

For the longest time I couldn’t even get 24 hours, and that’s bc I kept giving in to that voice. Once I put my foot down, I finally made it past. I didn’t let myself leave the house those first few days bc I knew where my car would take me if I did. Every thought I had, I shut down by telling myself ‘NO!’ Every single time. Over and over. Sometimes minute by minute. I know those back and forth arguments in your head that try to validate just ‘one more’, but we all know it’s never just one. Telling yourself no is something people like us aren’t used to. It takes a lot in the beginning but it will get easier the more you do it.

I’m glad to hear you’re planning on attending AA. I think most people are nervous about their first meeting. I know I was, but I pushed myself to go and immediately knew I was in the right place. Don’t think about the future, or getting to a week and beyond. Just focus on today. Today is all that matters. You’ll be blessed by waking up without a hangover tomorrow :pray:

All the best on your new journey :heart:

4 Likes

Hello :wave:
Tomorrow it will be mine day #35 don’t give up.
Instead of drinking alcohol try with a couple of good tea. I’ve changed the glass (lets be honest - the bottle )of wine after work with cups of tea. Maybe you can try it and will see how you will feel.

3 Likes

Hey @Chole welcome aboard! Creating new habits, hobbies and activities as others have mentioned here is key. Surround yourself with people who want to get and stay sober online and in person, but above all be kind to yourself, take it easy and keep coming back… Immerse yourself in sobriety and you won’t look back, take care :sparkling_heart:

Sending peace, love and positive vibes :raised_hands::sparkles::sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

It definitely is not insignificant. Remember that a year is just a massive amount of just getting through the moment. Time has a way of simply passing and the days will add up on their own as long as you focus on getting through each moment. There is an intensity and a difficulty in the beginning that does begin to subside over time as you physically and mentally create new patterns in your life, meet new people, get involved in new situations, etc., that have nothing to do with drinking.

Hang in there. You can do it.

2 Likes

In my experience it comes down to giving yourself the space to be scared how out of control it has gotten. The battle of “can you do” it feels crippling. I am only on day 6. I haven’t made it past day 21 yet I am determined in a new way. I am loving the freedom of choice that is coming along. Time is on my side. I get to choose what I am doing with my day. My confidence and pride is returning and I am only on day 7! You can do this. Immerse yourself in sober reading. This isn’t your fault. The addictive poison and the marketing of alcohol do not leave a lot of choices. You can choose yourself over and over again. For me I had to almost get mad at the large machine of alcohol companies taking all my money and time. I had to tap into the fight within me.

4 Likes