Sober Musicians/Celebrities/Actors (Who have inspired you)

“ I’m not like a 12-step Nazi, but rain or shine, that’s gotta come first for me, because I just don’t want to go back to that place of being a slave to drugs and alcohol, I just can’t do it anymore. I look at it like I have two lives, one prior to sobriety and one after—you know, it’s like two different lives have happened.” -Steve Jones, Sex Pistols

24 Likes

James Arthur

3 Likes

Kurt Cobain (R.I.P)
Vince Staples
Tyler, The Creator
Mac Miller (R.I.P)

5 Likes

Theo Vonn American comedian.

5 Likes

Eminem
Demi Lovato
Elton John
Robert Downey Jr.

12 Likes

I was thinking of Robert too. Man, he’s been through it. Cool dude, too.

5 Likes

703d7aaae51c1c6c6ebf1f026642886f--jamie-lee-curtis-alcohol-awareness

15 Likes

Dax Shepherd. 16 years sober and snagged Kristen Bell. He has an amazing podcast which isn’t about sobriety but it comes up and is very open about what he used to be like.

16 Likes

Tom Hardy - got sober at 25

15 Likes

Craig Ferguson
Edie Falco

5 Likes

Kat Von D - 13 years sober :heartbeat:

11 Likes

I only found out about Craig Ferguson last year!
And watching Edie Falco play a drug addict knowing her story was full on :flushed:

2 Likes

I had no idea about this one :hushed:

Craig’s story is amazing. Stand-up is usually not my thing, but I love his. And I think he’s one of the better talk show/late night television hosts. Very likable and charismatic.

My favorite thing about Edie is from her time on The Sopranos. Unsurprisingly, that was a cast that partied VERY hard. She said the rest of the cast was very understanding of her choice, and she was always invited regardless but usually opted not to go out with them because it was too much of a risk and she “couldn’t live in that world anymore”. Sometimes would go but would leave relatively quickly. That must’ve been difficult to stick to her guns, to stay behind while the rest of the cast was out “bonding”. To be the only one. But no, she did what was the right thing for herself, on top of delivering one of the more memorable performances in TV history.

6 Likes

I haven’t seen sopranos but it on my list, that is amazing that she just did what she had to do, no excuses.
The one I saw her in was Nurse Jackie where she was a drug addicted nurse it was interesting to watch her using and going through withdrawals on the show, it must be weird to have to portray something that is so real to your own struggle.

1 Like

Yea Craig lives up in the west end of Glasgow did a few meetings there myself , think hes a few years behind me , nice guy

7 Likes

I’m the flip of that, haven’t seen Nurse Jackie but I know the premise. It’s on my list for sure, especially after seeing her in Sopranos and the show I am now currently watching, Oz.

Both The Sopranos and Oz are 100% worth watching. Saw Sopranos for the first time last autumn, and have since watched it through a 2nd time. I’m watching Oz for the first time now, about 2/3 of the way through. I’m really enjoying going through these HBO shows from 20 yrs back that I missed at the time due to being too young and not having HBO in my house. Next is The Wire, and I heard “Rome” was a really good one as well.

That’s really cool Ray! I think you are right, last time I read about him think it said he got sober early 90s

Oh wow that’s cool :sunglasses: Just a regular alcoholic

Too young! How old is Oz? I didn’t think any of those shows were that old but I’ll believe you. I’m going to google how I can get my hands on the sopranos asap.