Sober Saturdays & Sundays

Got some chores done early on this Sunday, already picked up a grocery order, picked out some really rad pumpkins to carve, put said groceries away and then made a trip to the big box home improvement store. Got in and out of there as fast as possible as it was getting busy and there were too many jerks wearing their masks improperly. My hands are hurting today, so I will take it easy and postpone my marathon cooking projects. I am sitting here in my den trying to decide how to spend the rest of the day, shaking off a funk because of the pain, and trying to flip it around and get motivated and positive again. I think I can probably still work my sewing machine and make those draft blockers that I’ve been procrastinating on, since I picked up the corn kernels yesterday that will be the filler. First, a cup of tea and a muffin, just because. Hope you all are enjoying your day.

3 Likes

That sounds like a lovely way to spend a Sunday. I have been wanting to get out and see some birds after seeing a flock of pelicans cruise by! They’re so fun to watch dive and fish by the lock and dam.

So cool! I’ve never seen a real pelican!

1 Like

Here’s some we saw at the park

4 Likes

When we moved out here, I was so shocked to see them! I would have never guessed they migrated along the Mississippi! Some stay through most of the winter, too! If you look them up, they are pretty strange creatures.

1 Like

Pretty! I love swans. They have so much personality and can be really ornery!

1 Like

The goose at the top hissed at my little guy :joy: Still friendlier than the Canadian geese following us lol

2 Likes

Ahhh that is so awesome to hear. I look forward to getting more into it. Did you do workbooks & such?

1 Like

Did you get harassed by geese?! Hope they didn’t get your doughnuts!

I find the inquiry quite complementary to the CBT I’m doing, which involves writing stuff down so that makes sense for me. It helps organise my thoughts a bit.

But it’s mostly about identifying patterns in your thinking, work out what’s causing suffering and helping to reconcile your conscious and subconscious thinking. So I imagine you would get the benefit of that through the meditation.

I do like having someone to talk it through with and getting another perspective. It also keeps me accountable and makes me commit to it!

I haven’t been doing the meditations in the book yet, I probably should! I use a mix of the Calm app and just counting my breathing for 10 mins then picking an idea to contemplate. Working through the inquiry is helping with picking a topic to contemplate.

It’s been a while since I had a regular meditation practice and I’ve not built it up to every day again yet… Progress not perfection!

2 Likes

1 Like

Haha great idea! I know @Fargesia_murielae and @anon28001181 dip into it. And @Salty hopefully too!

I will get onto it in the next few days, let’s not let another year or more pass by!!

5 Likes

Awesome!
I’m going to keep listening to the audiobook and I’ll also get the book as @anon86726034 suggested :grinning:

1 Like

You can get a free download from their website, or order a copy from there I think. I like having a physical copy.

1 Like

Oh that is cool that you can download it! I debated doing that and printing at work tomorrow but I opted to order a paperback copy, as to me, I love holding an actual book vs. sheets of paper. Only $8 Canadian… Thanks a bunch for the info! Will be nice to have a copy along with my audiobook.

1 Like

Spent the weekend on our mountain, accompanied by my daughter. I worked on clearing deadfall trees. She read and tended the firepit where I burn the stumps. Front rolled in overnight and it was drizzling and dreary, so we packed up and came home a few hours earlier than planned.

It was a good weekend.

8 Likes

Ah amazing, what a brilliant way to spend some time together. Sounds like lots of lovely memories ahead of you.

How’s it coming along, all the clearing?

It’s coming along well. At this rate, I’ll be finished by spring.

3 Likes

I’m up for an RD thread.

I’ve read the book once. I’m reading through it again and starting on the inquiry questions. I’m still on the first set of questions though. I think they’re supposed to be shared with another person in the program, but not sure how to do that with just online meetings. I need to see if my local ones are back to meeting in person or not. I’ve heard of something called Friends Act where I believe you can get in contact with other members for inquiry groups, but I need to look into it more.

I have been able to keep a daily meditation practice for the last 2+ months. I use the Waking Up app and do a 10 minute guided meditation first thing in the morning. On days that I go to a meeting, I get a double dose of meditation.

1 Like

I’ve ordered the book and look forward to reading it and discussing here. I’ve learnt quite a bit about Buddhism from the meditation classes at my local centre. Perhaps Recovery Dharma will help me integrate this with my recovery.

I think I’ve neglected my recovery for a while now, just treading water. Time to be more pro active and try something new.

2 Likes