Sober selfies

I work in rural America. Critical access hospital. If you don’t know what it’s like to work in rural healthcare…you do it all. We are required to have all certifications. ACLS, PALS, TNCC, ENPC, NRP, STABLE…I’m sure I forgot one. :wink: I’m also a CLC (certified lactation counselor). The hospital I currently work at does not have obstetrics, but if they did I work in that area if needed. I also have OR experience. We run 3 nurses, but two of us come at 6 am. Usually an RN and an IV certified LPN. Sometimes 2 RNs. The 3rd nurse works 9 to 9. She covers OP/ER. I take the more crital med/surg/swing bed patients, but I also cover the ER from 6 to 9. Yesterday I started my day there and ended up in the OR with my patient. It was just fast and furious all day with ERs, admits, and discharges. We also had nursing students. I’m a preceptor as well. :crazy_face: I honestly don’t know if I could ever go to the city and specialize. Sadly people in general and especially nurses who do work in specialty areas have no clue what it’s like to work in a rural hospital. At times we also have to ride the ambulance with our patients when ACLS transport is needed, but the patient isn’t critical enough for a flight and or their insurance (dear sweet BC/BS doesn’t contract with one of our main flight companies) won’t cover a flight. You have to be on your toes. You don’t have a doctor in house 24-7, but luckily we are part of a telehealth network that can get us a doctor immediately for an emergency requiring a doctor until ours arrives. Their nursing staff can also assist us with documentation when we have a trauma or code. Because at night you’re running a code with 2 nurses, a cna, and a doctor. If they came in via EMS we are so blessed they stay and help with compressions and airway. Never knew how cool rural health sounds until I type it all out!

22 Likes

That’s INSANE. Thank you for being you @Weimdog (insert superhero emoji here)!

6 Likes

@Weimdog
How do you keep all of that straight? Amazing you don’t collapse everyday after work. :sleeping_bed:

2 Likes

Antoisia keskusteluja :slight_smile:

Holy shit!! That’s insane!

2 Likes

Who says I keep it straight? Just kidding. I carry one of those mini steno flip pads and I write everything down and chart it for 6 hours after my shift ends. :joy:

That’s rural healthcare. Behind the scenes. Things people don’t know.

3 Likes

223 days! Creeping up on 8 months! Had a rough month, but it felt really good to face my emotions like a big kid and not try to hide behind a bottle. Working step 4! Which is… Uncomfortable, but enlightening, and i’m sure will be cathartic once done.
We made it through the winter guys! Happy Spring!
:seedling::butterfly::rosette::strawberry::hatching_chick::woman_cartwheeling:t4:
Now, if I can just make it through the rest of this semester… :woman_facepalming:t4:

40 Likes

Haha its a great movie and it’s great music!!! Love The Greatest Showman

2 Likes

1 Like

Congratulations Sarah, that’s awesome :grinning::grinning::grinning:

1 Like

You look so much healthier and happy, keep it going mate. :grinning:

1 Like

Me too!! This is Me is my anthem. I’m probably driving my roommate nuts with the soundtrack on repeat :joy:

1 Like

Hahaha that’s funny. The first time I heard the opera singer I was blown away. The soundtrack has gotta be great to listen to over n over and it’s so upbeat!

1 Like

Yes. It’s great to have on while I’m working!

1 Like

Thanks! I feel great too!

Thank you! I plan on it!

Big fan of alphabet soupers. Started my day with LPN saving me $100 at clinic by not seeing me and sending me to ER. Then was given amazing care by a variety of letters, including PA. Only saw doctor right before being put under, and woke up with anesthesia nurse bedside. I know who provides the real care.

1 Like

This is purely for entertainment. I look like a rooster when I wake up. :rooster::joy::sleeping:

26 Likes

No, you don’t! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
34CD3ZSD78

11 Likes