Sober Time: New Version

Hello everyone,

I’ve been hard at work developing a new version of Sober Time. Instead of just editing the existing code and adding on, I decided to rebuild it from the ground up. This takes significantly longer than a simple update, but it was worth it.

I built it so that Android and iOS have the same app experience and the same features too. I’ve improved many parts of the app, made it more modern and I’ve also added some requested features.

Here are some of the new upcoming features:

• Journaling - A calendar with journal entries. You can rate each day and add notes to it. You can also review any of the daily messages by tapping on a previous day in the calendar.

• Milestones - Improved the milestones/goals in the app. They are now divided into standard and personal milestones. Standard milestones are provided by Sober Time and now award a badge that you can save when you reach it.

• Display - Improved display options. Many new things like font color, background color, size etc.

• Addiction management - You can now reorder your addictions if you have multiple of them.

• Statistics - Improved charts with the ability to filter on specific addictions.

• Cross-platform - The app now uses the same data structure for Android and iOS and you can transfer your data between the two platforms.

• iOS 14 home widget and overall widget improvements

There are lots of little things throughout the app that have been improved. Overall the user interface has been made more modern and it should be much simpler to use now.

I spent a lot of time working on the data part of the app. Since it’s now using a different data structure, the app needs to migrate your data from the old version to the new version. This is all done in the background and you won’t notice a thing. Opening up the new version will just simply work and you can continue as normal.

The development for this new version is just about complete. If anyone is interested in testing the app out before it goes public, please email me the following information that I will need to add you as a tester:

• Name
  • Surname
  • Email address
  • Platform (either Android or iOS)

Thank you
Robin

51 Likes

It’s on the bottom of this page Olivia https://talkingsober.com/about

1 Like

Thank you!!!

1 Like

You should probably email your information to Robin. It’s not recommended that you have your personal email posted here since this is a public site and can be viewed by anyone.

2 Likes

Sorry everyone! I received some pressure from the App Store to quickly update the app, so there was no time for a public test period. The new version is now live on iOS, so update when you have a chance. I’m currently working on publishing it to Android / Google Play too.

9 Likes

Looking forward to it ^.^

Thanks, Robin. If you are seeking feedback, please let us know how to provide that. :+1:

I downloaded it and I’ll send what I come across. I’ll wait a day or two so that any/most issues have an opportunity to pop up. Thanks for all you do for us. This place is very special to me.

PS, as an old programmer, thank you for not spaghetti coding :joy:

3 Likes

Hi Robin, this arrow in the top left used to take me back to the timer but now it takes me to my previous page within the TS community (which is what the top right arrows did, and still do). How do I get back to the timer?

Correction: the top left arrow only takes me back to the timer when I first land in TS. If I have clicked anything on TS, the top left arrow takes me back to where I was in TS.

1 Like

It acts like a back button and not like a home button.

1 Like

Yes I came to say this too. If I’ve been on app a bit surfing threads, I need to exit app and close out fully and restart to get back to timer… otherwise I could be hitting “back” for a very long time :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Is this backwards compatible with our old TS backups?

You can reply to this topic with any feedback you have.

2 Likes

Do you mean the cloud backups? This was previously only a feature on Android. Now it’s on iOS too. But yes, I spent a lot of time making sure you can restore old backups to the new version. You can even restore your old Android backups to iOS now!

2 Likes

You clever man! :+1:

Late to ask, but were you able to add a button that somehow lets us jump back to the app home screen from the forum view? :grin:

Right now you have to either force quit or go back a hundred times to return to it.

4 Likes

Whenever I write spaghetti code I get so hungry. Jk.

Looking forward to the new version too it will be great!

Bye for now…

2 Likes

Something else different for me is I can no longer see my time/battery in upper right hand corner like I used to, and as I can with my other apps :thinking: (nor the time in upper left)

2 Likes

I believe this all may have been mentioned:

• Difficult to find forum. I figured it out, not sure a new user would.
  • Backgrounds for additional addictions did not migrate
  • Can’t swipe the screen right to see/switch to counter screen (Left back button also now functions the same as the right back button)

Thanks for fixing the home button!

I too was confused by the icon for the forum. But if this is addressed on the app store text, New users will adapt.