Sober Vegans/Vegetarians

Cheese was the last and hardest thing for me to give up

Thatā€™s awesome. Nice seeing you again Hayley

Thatā€™s awesome! Kicking the meat and fish eating-habit was no problem for me and has been effortless ever since. Alcohol is different though ā€¦ Iā€™ve been more psychologically dependant on it than I was on any animal product , theyā€™re not a drug after all. Itā€™s definitely useful to have experience with quitting something, for whatever reason. Anyways, itā€™s great to hear it gets better along the road! :smiley:

3 Likes

Itā€™s weird right? Hereā€™s a quote of Russel Brand I found: ā€œEven as a junkie I stayed true [to vegetarianism] - ā€˜I shall have heroin, but I shanā€™t have a hamburger.ā€™ What a sexy little paradox.ā€
Learning to take care of myself and my health has been an important part of my recovery journey and Iā€™m feeling much better every day :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I really want to go vegan one day ā€¦ but Alcohol had to go first. Iā€™ll tackle that when Iā€™m further down the road and donā€™t rely on comfort food to soothe my cravings anymore :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I feel you ā€¦ we just have to get comfortable with being the odd one out at social gatherings I guess :alien:

And Iā€™m ok with that!

1 Like

Iā€™m trying to be pesco-vegan, Iā€™m disgusted by animal products but I keep going back to them

1 Like

Just made the decision to be a pescatarian at the end of August, was a meat eater and lover my whole life before that but the whole ethical issue has been nagging at me. I wish giving up alcohol was as easy as giving up meat has been.

3 Likes

Yeah I have been pigging out since going sober :open_mouth: I feel like I need to eat to distract from drinking. Either that or sleeping lol

My daughter is pescatarian. Trust me I use to live things like steak but for ethical reasons I just started feeling guilty about it.

I have had So Delicious pints of icecream but can never find the bars where I am in the US

Been preparing to stop drinking for too long now and finally taking the proper steps. As a vegan, my triggers are from the constant existential pain around soldiering on in a dystopian and vystopian world (see below if youre not familiar)

The constant triggers and how i see it ā€œvalidā€ reasons for drinking to cope or numb the constant vystopia versus the same excuses, habit and ultimate pointlessness of carrying on drinking. Bit of a paradox (but one i know the answer to) but found this thread and thought it was worth a shout out to see if i have any company?

Day 1 of seeking new support with the app and in any forum environment

4 Likes

Vegan 4 years. I was vegetarian for a little over one year before that.

It amazes me how I could so easily give up meatā€¦and eventually the cheese and eggā€¦often for health reasons (of course also for the animals and the environment too!!) yet I could do easily justify all the booze!!! (Vegan booze, of course)

2 Likes

Iā€™m not trying to overcome alcohol, but Iā€™m trying to break the addiction of meat and dairy, but still eat eggs and honeyā€¦ Am I welcome here?

2 Likes

Tried to skip the cheese a while ago and this time it clicks! So Vegan for almost a year now I guess :confetti_ball:

1 Like

For me you are welcome. But I do not consider eating meat or dairy as an addiction, but thatā€™s me :hugs:

1 Like

Hi everyone,

I didnā€™t want to make a new thread as I had a question regarding vegetarianism and thought I could ask here. I hope that is ok with OP.

Now that I am off alcohol, I am trying to lose weight. I am vegetarian and struggling to find filling recipes that donā€™t include cheese or highish calorie content. I have high cholesterol so want to avoid eggs and cheese.

Any recommendations where I could find recipes or any good books? I should say I also have a big appetite lol

2 Likes

Hi Iā€™m a vegan and have recently delved into cooking loads more. Where to start?!?! I would first send you off the BOSH TV on youtube. Better yet, buy one of their cookbooks for a tenner and try something new every week like I do. Super fun and is good at keeping the drinking demons away

Two great resources for recipes and education are the websites if Forks Over Knives and Nutritionfacts.org.
Educate yourself about calorie density. Eating high fiber foods with low calorie density will help to fill you up, lose weight, and poop like a champion!

2 Likes