Sober Vegans/Vegetarians

You should watch What The Health. It sealed the deal for me on dairy. I don’t miss it at all. Also - you should really try Kit Hill Cream Cheese. It’s SOOOOOO good!! It’s made from almond milk. You’d never know the difference if someone didn’t tell you.

I went whole foods plant based (WFPB) in February. Quit drinking 65 days ago. Since I don’t go out to eat at restaurants and I don’t go out drinking I’m saving lots of money! Of course I have no social life… :laughing:

I dont have a social life either so I understand :joy::joy::joy:

Daiya cream cheese ain’t too bad either

What the Health, Forks over Knives, Cowspiracy and Earthlings did it for me

I didn’t feel right hurting animals (eating) but didn’t care about myself (drinking booze). Until recently when I noticed drinking started taking a toll on my health

For some reason the video wont play for me :thinking::face_with_raised_eyebrow::disappointed_relieved:

Ah so you are pescatarian. My daughter is also

Cheese was the last and hardest thing for me to give up

That’s awesome. Nice seeing you again Hayley

I can’t stand Daiya. It’s all oil. We’ve been getting SoDelicious shreds (my kid likes them for pizzas ‘n’ stuff) - much better than Daiya. I’m more WFPB than he is so I pretty much avoid all the fake cheeses or other processed substitutes. He finally quit dairy altogether because he noticed that he breaks out every time he eats it. I feel super bad for raising him with an addiction to cheese :’(

That’s really sad :cry:

The only thing I have not seen is Cowspiracy. But I’ve seen literally all the footage I think I can tolerate. I already know so don’t feel the need to watch it. It’s just too upsetting. Being vegan and alcohol-free makes having a social life pretty difficult, I have to say :confused: (But I’m OK with that. Good thing I’m comfortable with being alone :wink: )

That’s awesome! Kicking the meat and fish eating-habit was no problem for me and has been effortless ever since. Alcohol is different though … I’ve been more psychologically dependant on it than I was on any animal product , they’re not a drug after all. It’s definitely useful to have experience with quitting something, for whatever reason. Anyways, it’s great to hear it gets better along the road! :smiley:

It’s weird right? Here’s a quote of Russel Brand I found: “Even as a junkie I stayed true [to vegetarianism] - ‘I shall have heroin, but I shan’t have a hamburger.’ What a sexy little paradox.”
Learning to take care of myself and my health has been an important part of my recovery journey and I’m feeling much better every day :slight_smile:

I really want to go vegan one day … but Alcohol had to go first. I’ll tackle that when I’m further down the road and don’t rely on comfort food to soothe my cravings anymore :sweat_smile:

I feel you … we just have to get comfortable with being the odd one out at social gatherings I guess :alien:

And I’m ok with that!

I’m trying to be pesco-vegan, I’m disgusted by animal products but I keep going back to them

When I quit eating meat I did it overnight, right after eating a hamburger that sat in my stomach like a rock for 4 hours. I never liked it anyway. There are so many awesome substitutes, so start there! If you care about your health, you’ll eventually want to watch yourself off of those (vegan processed and junk food), but it’s a great place to start and SO easy!

If you eat out a lot, download the Happy Cow app to find any restaurant near where you are that is either vegan or has veg options.

A couple great people to follow are Earthling Ed, James Aspey, and Dr. Michael Greger on YT. They have tons and tons of helpful ideas and plenty of good food for thought about why and how to leave animals off of your plate. :green_heart: