Sober Vegans/Vegetarians

There are SOOOO many vegan cookbooks out there now. It is amazing how much has changed in the last 5 years. Vegan cookbooks are now proudly on display in the front of bookstores rather than hidden in the back. Woo hoo.

But beware. A LOT of vegan recipes are heavy in cashews to make cream or cheese sauces. I’m not sure those would be any lower in calories than dairy cheeses (though healthier and better for the planet).

For really healthy recipes to lose weight I would highly recommend Forks over Knives. They have books and on-line recipes. There is even a movie…but that is more inspiration to moving to a WFPB diet rather than actual recipes. Google search “Forks over Knives” or “whole foods plant based” and you’ll find tons.

If you are looking for tasty and filling recipes check out Thug Kitchen. Those are more dense recipes. But I should warn you…there is a healthy dose of saucy language in their recipes too. I find it hilarious but some people are offended by it.

Good luck!!

5 Likes

Other books that I have that are really good are

Minimalist Baker
Food52 Vegan
Oh She Glows

Another great source that is for athletes (so good fuel for workouts…but healthy so you don’t feel weight down) is Brendan Brazier. I have one of his books called Thrive. But I have to admit, being an athlete he clearly takes nutrition seriously so puts a lot of effort into his food. As a result I don’t find his recipes super easy. They take planning. But give him a Google too. He’s really serious about health and nutrition. (also of note: He is the maker of Vega supplement products. I LOVE their smoothie powders. I know when I use them I’m getting a good dose of vitamins and minerals)

2 Likes

Minimalist Baker and EllaVegan on instagram, have great ideas.
I was a strict vegetarian for twenty years. I do eat seafood here and there for health reasons and have hard time with it, so I am not a vegetarian. As a dietitian I hate the term pescovegetarian. You are a vegetarian or not. Simple.

I eat cheese sporadically, but my main source of protein is eggs and beans. I also use butter. I bake so eggs are a must.

I envy vegans. I suffer from the thought of animals being slaughtered. Unfortunately I had to bare with it for a long time because I am also a chef. None of my clients knew I didn’t eat meat. I knew how to cook it well. That is around the time I started my business at the age of 35 and started to drink daily after work. I really had a hard time with it. I think that is the start of my alcoholism even though I never drank when I worked or got drunk, still, I was self medicating.

Well, sorry, I kind of needed to vent about this I guess. Here is some pointers, especially if you are trying to shed a few pounds.

Use nuts very little, not at all if possible.
No bread or pasta etc, or every now and then.
No coconut milk.
No textured vegetable protein as they are high in fat and processed. Minimal if you have to.
No packaged products.
Measure the amount of the oil when cooking.
Use delicious seasonings. I eat really spicy food.
Make traditional recipes like calabacitas that are naturally vegan. I would be happy to help you choose recipes or create together depending on the vegetables you like.
Choose dishes that has a lot of vegetables mixed with legumes and beans. Use rice sparingly.
Reduce the amount of fruits you consume to two per day, one if possible.
Eat almost calorie free foods like tomatoes, cucumbers, steamed cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower with salt and lemon juice.
Please feel free to ask questions. I am happy to help.

2 Likes

Why no nuts? Such a nutrient dense food :thinking:

1 Like

Shouldn’ t have said no nuts, sparingly because they are high in calories. Wouldn’t help a person who is trying to get a little lighter. Portion control is very important, instead of eating five pecans we can easily eat a handful. Little bit of everything is my philosophy except hot peppers. Lol.

1 Like

Ah ok. I tend to recommend them often but in moderation of course if they’re struggling to lose weight :yum:

2 Likes

Been vegan for 7 years :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m vegan for 2 years now, before that I was vegetarian. Now I have more sober days I’m getting the extra weight (chocolate is my replacement for alcohol) off by intermitting fasting. After my dinner I fast untill the next day 13.00. At that time I eat something low calorie like a tomato soup. At 16.00 some fruit and at 6 o’clock dinner and then repeat.
I use a fasting timer app to help me. Sometimes I fast untill 16.00 if I feel good.
I loose 500 gram each week :grin:
Only 1 kilo to go. Want to be fit and skinny before holiday because the food there is sooooo delicious!! I want to eat it all so have to be skinny before I’ll go at the end of april :hugs:

3 Likes

I’m a life long veggie :green_heart: I love being sober as I feel like I actually benefit now from all the nutrients I get from food

3 Likes

They are. I eat 25 gram per day trying to lower my blood cholesterol. Because it is a little too high. I also eat oats for breakfast most days of the sane reason.

3 Likes

Those are two great steps to potentially help with your cholesterol. That’s the same recommendation here for 25g (1/4 cup) nuts or seeds at least 5 days/week for heart health. Oats are a great source of soluble fibre which can also help. I love adding ground flax or chia also in my oats :yum:

2 Likes

I’ve been a vegetarian for around a year now. :hugs: Tried vegan but love my cheese. :leafy_green::cucumber::carrot::cheese::broccoli:

1 Like

Hiya I hope you don’t mind me asking, but how much do you know about the dairy industry? Only because a lot of people dont know that it is far more cruel than the meat industry. Also, all of the animals will be slaughtered, either for meat or the babies for veal or just as a waste product so by buying cheese, people fund this industry which is normally the reason people are vegetarian. Hopefully not coming across as annoying but I speak up for the animals as if I I guess you would to be spoken up for if you were in the slaughterhouse.

1 Like

I hear you. I hope you manage to get to be vegan one day. I bake a lot and I dont use eggs :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, I’ve been vegetarian for 5 years and try being vegan sporadically since my partner is but I do go back to cheese for lasagna. I find knowing that a lot of alcohol isn’t vegan or vegetarian helpful, it takes more research than my drunk side wants to do to know I’m drinking ethically, she’s pretty lazy.

1 Like

Hello! My 2 year vegan anniversary was in January. I was going through some major life changes that led to depression/drinking and also giving up on my veganism but have been trying to snap back into my old healthy routine! Glad I came across your post! :seedling:

2 Likes

I was vegetarian for 7 years. Vegan for 3. A time bit as a raw vegan.
That was almost 15 years ago.
I’m doing this online retreat program and decided I miss that woman. That girl. The person before the booze. I need to meet her again. Me.
I am starting with this month. I’ll try for April as vegetarian and see how it goes from there. I said before meat made me feel better but I am also thinking I felt like crap from the nutritional deficiencies as an alcoholic. Excuses. So now that I am sober, I feel like I need more “life”… the thought of eating dead animals again is grossing me out. I doubt I will be vegan again honestly… I love cheese. And honey from the forest here. But it’s a strange feeling… like I am welcoming home the person I once was.

6 Likes

I’m vegetarian, almost totally vegan. This is an interesting topic because on one level sobriety and veganism have nothing in common: alcohol and drugs are vegan, you can have a vegan diet if you consume nothing but whisky and coke. On another level they can be related. For me they are both about being ethical, being responsible, trying not to be in denial (about feelings, or cruelty, or injustice). For those who are motivated more by health, some vegan diets can be healthy, like not drinking, though not necessarily— the beer-and-candy diet. I personally quit dairy after I started to look more honestly at my drinking. It was linked to wanting to take seriously the imperative to try to be my best self and not do things I know are not good, for me or other beings on the planet.

3 Likes

I’ll admit that once I learned about the egg and dairy industries I knew I could never go back to lacto-ovo. People assume that since the animals aren’t killed (which is actually wrong) that eating eggs and dairy is better…but these industries are more cruel and contribute to much more suffering.

But I don’t judge any vegetarian. It’s a process for everyone.

3 Likes

This is it, a lot of people dont know which is why I always inform people. Some people say judge, I say hold people accountable. Like…knowingly willingly consciously paying to harm another animal for pleasure… justifying it and making excuses just doesnt wash with me. At least when I drink I only harm myself and it’s my human right to do to myself as I please. If I am held accountable then it’s my own fault and my own problem (3 days sober and feeling good). But when it comes to harming others I am less patient with people. I like to use the analogy of using this reasoning with any other kind of injustice or harm in the human context. Would we accept it as just the persons journey? Or would be challenge them? Actively try to stop them? Absolutely we should judge them- quite literally in a court of law? Just because it is normalised, it makes it free from judgement. Rape? Murder? Domestic violence? Beating a dog? Racism? If I explained it is my journey, I have problems - my process has been altered by conditioning/upbringing then absolutely that offers an explanation as to why I do it and obstacles to overcome but certainly not excuse the behaviour to continue. It brings me back to knowledge…people who dont know? Fair enough. People that arent ready to hear it and psychologically evade the reality that they know to be true, I can sort of understand although you never know how much is just them deliberately not facing it and how much is their cognitive dissonance. But then there are those who accept it as truth, have often seen the truth first with their own eyes, yet still decide that their fleeting pleasure is worth more than the violence and suffering they know exists, that’s when I lose patience… because that’s sort of the definition of psychopathic…and it’s a high percentage of non vegans I’ve spoken to. Empathy unfortunately is lacking across humanity in this regard. Thoughts welcome :green_heart: