Sober without classes?

i would def go more than once. and i wouldn’t treat it like you’re being taught. that might get you off on the wrong foot. try a week and see what you think! going cold turkey with no support is tough.

6 Likes

Day 1174 for me here. I am not in AA or doing the steps although I think many are part of my recovery, working on understanding myself better.

9 Likes

Day 574, I did go to online AA for a while but it isn’t really for me. I find addiction counselling more beneficial to me, also staying contact with other addicts on this forum has been huge support.

8 Likes

818 days without meetings here. I’m certainly not opposed is just my commute, messed up work schedule, and being remote make it near impossible. I believe as long as you put work into your sobriety you’ll do well. Talking with other recovering addicts is huge for sustained success. There is no “right” path towards recovery as long as you keep walking.

7 Likes

More then 3 years sober without a program. I made myself a sober plan and stick to that.
Collected everything in it that helps me to stay on the sober path. But I can’t do it all alone, that’s why I’m here. I need people around me who “get’s it”. Who I can ask for help, talk about my struggles ore celebrate my milestones with.
First year of my recovery I was here every day to use the daily check in tread.
Still around here much because I need to stay focussed.
See you around :raising_hand_woman:

8 Likes

Check this thread out for some alternatives

2 Likes

Plenty of ways to get sober and stay sober lots of stuff online , i got sober when there wasnt any internet just AA meetings so im a bit basis but if it works for you do it . but in 1986 i had no choice like today wish you all well

10 Likes

I did AA for awhile when I got of rehab. I learned a lot. I worked the steps with a sponsor, but I do other things now. I talk to another person in recovery almost daily. I like this forum a lot and Stuff That Works is a good place also. I believe we can do anything we set our minds to. Many paths to recovery. I am only powerless when I drink. Making the right choices is powerful. :boom:

3 Likes

I’m almost 3 years sober and I haven’t gone to a meeting in the past 3 years. Nothing against them and I’ve learned a ton of wisdom from People in AA and I read AA/NA verses regularly, but I personally have never been to a meeting while in active recovery.

The doctrine and practices aspect of my recovery is largely based on Refuge recovery / Dharma recovery and incorporating Buddhist practices into my daily life.

I think the most important aspect is that a significant portion of your day and your mental bandwith should be focused on recovery and getting whatever tools you need to keep sober. I do believe classes would help though

7 Likes

Im not big on the aa thing. I went to a few a couple years ago when i was struggling. Just wasnt my thing. This community here has definitely been supportive and a good distraction. I found the alcohol experiment from this awesome list by chance

It appealed to my rational mind because i knew the constant cognitive dissonance with drinking, not to drink, drinking to much…something was winning my mind game. So ive been fighting back with learning so much about why? And what im drinking. You start the experiment with 30 days

3 Likes

Thanks ! Will definitely look into it

Somehow I got sober without meetings. I know it’s the popular opinion of many health professionals to go to meetings

It just depends on your willpower. I had to slowly train myself to build up my willpower, as when I quit, there were no meetings I knew of. I was a stranger in a different area…which also got me to quit because I would have to go out of my way to buy alcohol.

But I do consider this community and forum to help me stay sober.

3 Likes

I can relate to this big time. I did same thing except I live across the road from 3 bars. I’m currently 1248 days sober. I was just curious if anyone else was having luck without classes too. They weren’t for me. Not very religious tbh and classes give all the credit to religion it seems like. But anyway glad to hear you made it too! Congrats on your sobriety!!!

4 Likes

Everyone has to choose their own way. I would say give it another chance. It is a bit strange at first. There are several things that I do not like about AA, but it really helped me a few years ago when I was in a very dark place.
I am not currently in the program either, but I am open to it. I get on here everyday and listen to Recovery elevator and quit lit audio books in the car.
I am considering going back myself, mainly because I dont have any friends anymore.

4 Likes

I tried it. It is really a bizarre way of living and very dogmatic. If it works for someone, fine, but it has about a 90 % failure rate. The nicest thing is the other sober people, but being sober is no big deal. The vast majority of people are normal and couldn’t care less if you drink or not. They either enjoy your company or not. I also think that being convinced one has a disease is just plain wrong and has no scientific proof. If you had cancer or asthma and you got stuck on a deserted island, you’d still be sick. If you drank way too much, you would suddenly be cured of that. If you quit smoking, it is over and done and you are no longer a smoker. According to them, if you quit drinking, you are still an alcoholic. It is illogical crap.

I tried AA and it wasnt working. So I did do some counseling, but other than that I’ve been doing it on my own.

3 Likes

That’s an interesting take. So if one has a drinking problem, all they have to do is stop and they are cured and no longer an alcoholic? How long does one need to abstain before they can drink again? Asking for a friend…

7 Likes

Calling it “illogical crap” is offensive and demeaning to members who base their recovery on the AA program.
Everyone travels their own unique path and this forum is about creating friendships and connection not arguments and negative opinion.
There are many programs that we may agree or disagree with but showing a little respect goes a long way.

9 Likes

Seems like you’ve got it all figured out! That’s amazing. Thanks for sharing this and showing many of the members in this community with significant sober time living their best lives the error of their ways.

6 Likes

also think that being convinced one has a disease is just plain wrong and has no scientific proof. Actually just about all medical science would agree that it is a disease. Sorry that it didn’t work out for you. It dosent matter how people get clean and sober as long as it works for them. If you said standing on your head for 10 hours a day is what worked for you I think people would be happy you found something that worked not shit on your recovery process.

4 Likes