Sober without god. An atheist / agnostic / humanist thread. Please be respectful!

I don’t even know what to say. Nothing changes when nothing changes. Let’s keep spreading togetherness and love however insufficient that seems at times like this.

5 Likes

Hello, I love this book!

And now we get to hear the empty words over and over. “Thoughts and prayers.” It makes me so angry and nauseous.

7 Likes

7 Likes

I can hear you, it reminds me when france was under terrorist attack after another terrorist attack after etc etc…
Like…shooting/killing/stabbing/beheading/whatever-awful-thing then thoughts and prayers then facebook debate and indignation then nothing is done then we all forget then it happens again, then thoughts and prayers etc

6 Likes

In order to react, studies seem to show that we got to prepare ourselves to react. To avoid the freeze effect for exemple. That’s what you are doing here, and it’s a good thing!

3 Likes

Perhaps thoughts and prayers are more for themselves than for others. People react differently in times of great emotional distress. Also some people love co-opting a tragedy to feed their ego sadly. It’s tough to tell what one’s motives are.

Thoughts and prayers probably do not lead to anything other than perhaps peace n mind for the person doing it.

Concrete action is definitely far more effective. I’d imagine by now we have all reached out to our Congressperson asking what they are doing to curb this needless violence. If not I’ll gladly look up the contact information for you. I can even give you a copy of the form letter I use. I’m sure John Katko is sick of hearing from me as I write a few letters a year (well more than a few). I’m even more sure that idgaf what he thinks. It probably has about the same effect as a thought and a prayer but at least I feel like I tried

5 Likes

Honestly. Nothing. We can do nothing. But we can work to improve the communities in which we live. Fortunately for me my job provides me this opportunity but I also make sure to do things in my own time. I also allow my staff to go March and protest on company time. It’s not much but it’s achievable

8 Likes

That isn’t nothing. Doing nothing feels impossible. There is always something.

6 Likes

9 Likes

I really appreciate this thread, it has been helpful to read through. Thank you to all contributing :v:

I wanted to provide another option for recovery that has been helpful for me and doesn’t involve religion.
I restarted Seek Healing meetings this week and the connection has been so comforting.

They provide free virtual meetings every day of the week through the Zoom platform.
Generally two hours long -
1st hour group connection,
2nd hour structured 1-on-1 breakout rooms

For me, the structure provides a really safe environment for genuine & authentic connection. It’s a significant time commitment but I always leave better for it.

Link for online meeting schedule-

13 Likes

It is a wonderful program. :blush:

1 Like

11 Likes

I needed to read this today, thank you

2 Likes

You’re very welcome :black_heart:

1 Like

@Thirdmonkey Same!

Thank you @anon59754122 :heart: :relaxed: this really hits my heart

2 Likes

I’m so happy it did! :relaxed::black_heart:

1 Like

Glad you are back. You’re energy drive this thread when I found it so I’m glad it’s back here. This is the only thread I visit here too. Keep killing it!

2 Likes

Today is 10 months sober without any gods! Well, not without the god of baths and ice cream. Couldn’t have made it through month 1 without that god.

11 Likes

Congratulations brother!!! :sunglasses::metal:t2:

1 Like