Sober without god. An atheist / agnostic / humanist thread. Please be respectful!

Well done on your 10 months!! It is pretty amazing!!

1 Like

Ah the gods of ice cream. Many times have I worshiped at their alter. :laughing:

Congrats on your 10 months :+1:

2 Likes

5 Likes

8 Likes

6 Likes

Concrete action is more effective but it’s how the concrete action is used.

The unfortunate reality is those who use concrete action to get results is a minority, often protests get out of hand and become riots. As I’ve seen many times

Flooding our politicians with letters and propaganda can help but once again how many actually do, like you said if you have a prepared statement, and give it to a hundred people to give your your local rep, it might spark interest but one or two a year often comes up as well I might lose 5 votes this year, ok. I’m 22 years in I could swing the state the way I need to

In recent years I heard 2nd Ammendment and 8th Ammendment spewed out of so many mouths it’s unreal. Yet not one of them can cite it or explain it correctly

2 Likes

My current concrete action is the housing crisis (everything is connected at some level). I’ve been working with some other agencies as well as the state government to help make exceptions to the fair market rate for subsidized housing. I’ve probably mentioned it but my job actually provides me an opportunity to help create change at a community level, which is more than I ever thought I’d have the opportunity to do. My boss let’s me go off on my side projects so long as my day to day is handled. I write letters to my state officials but that’s probably more effective at making me feel like I’ve done something.

Sometimes tho I just feel like it’s all pointless and we are fucked anyway. Doesn’t help to sit in that long though.

10 Likes

13 Likes

My father taught me this: “I doubt you want anyone telling you how to live your life. If that is the case, you better not tell anyone how to live theirs. If you want to influence others, live a life worth living, let them decide”

10 Likes

5 Likes

1 Like

:woman_facepalming:t2::woman_facepalming:t2:

5 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

Frank Zappa was one of the wisest musical minds to ever grace us with his presence, the guy was a genius in so many ways, his values and points of view where just like boom made you think

4 Likes

I will never understand how people think the earth is flat :joy::woman_facepalming:t2:

5 Likes

If you search back to maybe 2018 or so I think there was a whole ass debate on it here

4 Likes

7 Likes

Dammit Derek I just spent ten minutes searching for that debate. I couldn’t find it and I had to adult and tell myself “cmon Matt you have actual things to do today”. It was probably moved to the derailed thread or maybe it disappeared into the deleted mists of the past :joy:

Probably for the best. Some debates are just mud traps :innocent:

11 Likes

Making my way back to where I was before :black_heart: love you guys

I have very little people in my corner outside of this forum and next to nothing when it comes to family… so you all in this thread mean so much to me. I’m really happy I have you guys :black_heart:

10 Likes

Me too me too! Some interesting antique stuff came up though. Will mention just one rather curious one, which is Tomi complaining about the limited number of likes he was allowed… Back on topic now.

4 Likes