Sober without god. An atheist / agnostic / humanist thread. Please be respectful!

Oh wow , that is really interesting to learn. It’s so enlightening to hear the experiences from the other part of the world

2 Likes

Yes, I would be inclined to agree that they understand faith more, even if a different one to their own. Assuming it is a monotheistic faith. I am not sure how they would react to something they would consider more “out there”, or pagan for example.

4 Likes

I wish I could say I know what you are going through…I really dont. I know the chilling affect being on this thread has done for me and individuals on here… Crazy how by just being here, supporting all of you has really sent people the other way. It’s sad really. (And I really dont post much!)

With that said, knowing how people are…if I could do it all over again…I would, but only sooner.

9 Likes

I’ve always been interested in religion while never believing in a god. For me it’s human history. I nearly went and studied theology after highschool. A history of god by Karen Armstrong is one of my favourite history books of all time. I read the bible and the quran. TBH I didn’t finish both but I got pretty far in them. Both have pearls of wisdom in them. A lot of outdated crap as well excuse my language.

5 Likes

Exactly. To see people stop interacting with you because of where you stand on certain things is very disheartening :pensive: but that’s why I cling to this thread and the people on it even more :black_heart:

5 Likes

100% true. “Different God”, different religious text…still has similarities. However, one will never learn to coexist with out reaching out a friendly hand. Differences is what makes this world living in.

5 Likes

People will always be people :woman_shrugging:t2: Just have to focus on being the best version of yourself and keep going :relaxed:

2 Likes

After this convo this song is stuck in my head :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Been meaning to share this on my Recovery Dharma thread…just too busy…seems fitting here

from “Practicing Peace in Times of War: A Buddhist Perspective” by Pema Chödrön -

“If you could have a bird’s-eye perspective on the Earth and could look down at all the conflicts that are happening, all you’d see are two sides of a story where both sides think they’re right. So the solutions have to come from a change of heart, from softening what is rigid in our hearts and minds.”

If one really wants to see what opening up ones mind and softening ones heart can really do, one only needs to study Malcom X. While, it is a religious example…I think it’s a perfect example. If you look at him before he made his pilgrimage…to who he was after he made his pilgrimage…the change in who was is absolutely inspiring.

If everyone, could change their heart and perceptions of the world like he did…using what ever technique they choose to use. This planet would fundamentally change.

Anyway…I though it went with the conversation…if not I will move it to my own little thread!

8 Likes

The Bible and all religious big books contain a lot of good wisdom. Why wouldn’t they.
Some were, imo, nothing new. Take the stoicians for exemple, so much wisdom 2500 years ago.

4 Likes

A good Sunday evening rabbit hole to go down, thanks for that :grin:

3 Likes

Oh man, I had no idea.
I said it before, but from my country’s perspective (even though I was born in north america), it’s very hard to understand !

2 Likes

For me this is what it comes down to. Easier said then done I know but something to aspire to. Who cares if you believe in a god or not. I don’t.

8 Likes

Love that! I like this one as well. Minus the whole my religion thing

5 Likes

Thanks everyone for having this discussion :relaxed::black_heart::black_heart: you are ALL amazing!

4 Likes

I see this a lot,

I think it’s more out of pure ignorance or understanding than anything.

Organized religion has been around for centuries and it was a cornerstone of everyone’s life but over the years that percentage has been waning, for various reasons. And to hear someone say that they are a non believer or question the exsistence of a creator, it’s almost like your new. It would be the same if I dropped you off in the middle of Japan you don’t speak Japanese your probably don’t know much about the culture. So it might be a bit of a shell shock.

At the end of the day, we are all humans, we should do for others and be decent human beings simply for the sake of mankind. Regardless of beliefs, color creed, sexuality whatever box you check into

4 Likes

I’ve found that I can’t generalize because people react differently to my beliefs. I can appreciate you living in Colorado Springs, but I think I have you beat by living in Salt Lake City on the religious surroundings front :laughing: (I’m just joking :wink: ). I have had some people take it as a challenge to try and convert me to their way of thinking. :roll_eyes: I’m partially okay with this if it is a direct conversation, because I love the discourse; but there is nothing more annoying than getting a constant stream of young men in suits knocking on my door at random times.

In the end, I figure if someone is going to treat me poorly because I do not conform to their views ( no matter if it is about religion or anything else ), especially as a kneejerk reaction and not even bothering to have a discussion about it, then they probably aren’t the type of person I want in my life anyway. The hours of my life are too valuable to be wasted on people and things that don’t add to this earth experience I am currently having.

And that’s not to say that sometimes it’s not disappointing, right? Most people want to be liked. It used to kill me inside if it seemed like someone didn’t like me for some reason. After all, I’m such a wonderful person!! laughing But the truth is that we won’t be liked by everyone, just as we do not like everyone.

As kids and young adults, I think we are naturally indoctronated into the ideas and beliefs of the people around us–whether religion, politics, social stances, etc. These are things that literally become part of us. Often they are core parts of our inner identity. We all have our “tribes”, and inevitably there is some “other” that we see as “bad” because the “other” has views that “threaten” these core beliefs inside of us. I remember reading something about how with these things we can have reactions in the brain and/or body that makes us feel like we are literally being threatened physically.

I think that when a religious person suddenly treats an atheist/agnostic person differently after learning of their views, that this is part of what is happening inside of them. Some may not even realize how obviously their behavior has changed, or even really understand why they suddenly feel so different about you. Most people really aren’t that self aware and tend to run on an autopilot program inside of them that was instilled in their childhood and young adult years (if they are older).

That doesn’t excuse bad behavior, but sometimes I find that having insight into the why of someone’s behavior helps me handle my own feelings when someone might suddenly give me the cold shoulder after learning something about me.

I hope this was not too rambly. I’m still trying to wake up. :laughing:

6 Likes

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile: I think that is a good question you posed.

Personally, I think that we should take wisdom from wherever we find it. Often wisdom is like a precious gem that is buried in mud or needs to be chiseled away from less valuable stone. We don’t need to agree with everything a person or book says to come away with something valuable. It’s been an unfortunate trend of people thinking that if we agree with even one thing someone has said, then we agree with everything they say and stand for.

The “Bible” is basically just a bunch of random books put together to form one thing, and they were curated by some dudes who used their own judgment on what had worth and what didn’t. This could be based on their own moral judgements, their political ideas, or anything else. These same dudes–along with others through history–were not all that shy about changing some things to fit their own beliefs or agendas.

Of course that’s an argument against just blindly believing whatever is contained therein, but it’s kind of an amazing thing, in a way, that certain pearls of wisdom survived through all of that. There are so many things contained within “the Bible” that are open to interpretation which allow us to really get something out of them on a personal level, and also give us something to pick apart and ponder–which is great for the mind.

Just as I think it’s poor form to suddenly dismiss a person for being an atheist, I also think it’s poor form to dismiss a whole collection of religious scripture simply because there are things we don’t like about that particular religion or the people.

That’s my long winded way of saying you are not a hypocrite. :wink: In all things, take what is good and useful for you, and discard the rest. Don’t worry what anyone else thinks of you for doing so; you don’t need the approval of ignorant fools.

3 Likes

Three years here and three years sober. If I learned one thing it is that I can’t do it alone. I need people. We need each other. Booze and drugs and addictive behaviours are awful replacements for the real deal which is human contact. There is only one race, the human one. There’s only one believe, the believe in each other and in ourselves, and the conviction we have to do it together. For ourselves and for each other. Somehow.

Rejecting others is always wrong. Whether because of their (lack of) religion, the colour of their skin, their gender or fluidity of gender, their sexuality, for whatever people can come up with to reject other people. We’re in this together.

It ain’t easy. Life is hard often, beautiful sometimes. Together we will make it through. One day at a time. Much love to you all my beautiful friends.

12 Likes

Congratulations! I’m really happy for you and your success.

1 Like