Sober without god. An atheist / agnostic / humanist thread. Please be respectful!

God, No God. All I know is before I worry about what other people are thinking I better take a long hard look at myself first.
I’ve got enough in common with other addicts and alcoholics to keep me going for a little while. :grin:

5 Likes

I know I am late to this, but this really struck a chord with me

I remember my boyfriend telling me he was religious some years ago. We were both very drunk. I lost my shit. I think I felt like it would mean he wouldn’t be able to be with me any more, or couldn’t want to be with him any more. That seems so ridiculous now. My perception of religion was so narrow and I let that lead my emotions.

We’re still together, it’s fine.

6 Likes

Yes! That is why I love this forum, being able to engage with and learn from people whatever their approach to sobriety.

And cool to have spaces for each of those approaches, as well as the more general crossover everything goes threads :hugs:

2 Likes

Good to see you Kai! And good to see you sober too!

1 Like

That’s great, Paul. I agree with you in principle, but I’m curious what compelled you to post this in a thread for godless folks looking to make some space for ourselves in a forum that’s got a lot of god going on? Your post feels like a critique at best, and kind of a slap in the face at worst.

9 Likes

not at all it was me thinking out loud about myself. This God thing is a sensitive subject and I’ve sat on both sides of the fence. 48 years I laughed in the face of anyone who believed in a god and now in desperation I pray every morning for the strength not to pick up a drink.
So yep I would do well to look at myself before i voice my opinion.

I’m definitely not in a position to be slapping faces.

1 Like

Well, it can be quite difficult for folks who go against the vocal contingency to carve out their space, so we/I may be protective of it.

9 Likes

Paul, good for you. I respect you as a person and I respect how you do your recovery. But what your posting about is off topic for this thread. See the first post. This is a thread for recovery without god. End off.

7 Likes

Anyway to keep on topic I got 18 months sober as an atheist, that’s the second longest I’ve ever been sober, and if I had known someone then with more experience than me who told me I was never going to be able to pick up one drink and it would be enough I would still be an atheist.
Whatever I’ve come to believe in is just another sobriety tool for me and so far so good but for me personally the most valuable thing I’ve had is the support of people like yourself and others who know exactly how I feel and think.

6 Likes

This is truly golden and it’s what binds us all together, even though as individuals we are often all so different . I do believe that.

9 Likes

I love that everyone here protects this thread. It’s so funny how people will slip in god. Kudos peeps.

7 Likes

The subject of this thread is sobriety and recovery without god. Here’s my contribution for today.

I took another step in my journey of recovery / discovery today. Had a meeting with two experience experts who lead a 12 week introductory course on the subject of integrating personal experiences with addiction and mental health issues into professional work as a health care- or social worker. I was invited to join the course which will start in three weeks time.

Really looking forward to that. There’s a difference between having experiences, and using them professionally. I’m hoping to make some progress in that respect by doing this course. I think I will. The lady experts seemed nice and knowledgeable enough and they seemed to appreciate me too. And the way the course is set up seems to give me a good introduction to the subject, good enough to decide afterwards if I want to do a more full education maybe.

One thing that I noticed about myself was how I could talk about myself as a professional and really feel being one too. I have changed in that respect. In the past I always felt like I was playing the role of mental health nurse, like I was some sort of fraud. My personal imposter syndrome. I’m losing that. I’m beginning to have trust in myself. Or even more so, I am beginning to have a clear self image. I’m finally discovering who I am.

I’m really looking forward to learning about integrating my personal experiences into my work in a way that’s beneficial for the people I work with. Another part of my journey of discovery. While continuing discovering more about myself in and outside therapy. Working on resolving my inner conflicts and fending off my inner demons. Learning to be an adult. In my own way, in my own time (yes I’m bloody 56 years old).

We call it a laatbloeier (a late bloomer) in Dutch. Let me be one. On days like these I am beginning to like myself actually. Now that is fucking something. Pardon my French. Keep going all because it is so worth it. One day at a time. Love.

10 Likes

From one to another…it is exciting, inspiring and informational witnessing your journey!

5 Likes

Same here, @Mno ! Love you, amigo. So happy you’re on this path. You have an incredible amount to share with others.

4 Likes

Welcome to the party…we love you! Congratulations!

5 Likes

I wanted to recommend SmartRecovery for meetings that provide tools and techniques based on CBT principles. In addition to that, in U.K. there’s Change Grow Live charity providing counselling, information, detox and practical support. And of course “easyway” books by Allen Carr.

I am very early in my recovery journey (2nd day only) but those are the places/resources I have reached out to so far.

13 Likes

Welcome @sfvvnlv :wave:

3 Likes

Welcome Sofia. Hoping you may find some support here too. This place has been huge for me. Glad to have you aboard as there is strength in numbers. We do it together here. Wishing you all success!

3 Likes

Welcome and thanks for sharing, Sofia!

2 Likes

Welcome! This place saved my life.

2 Likes