Sober without god. An atheist / agnostic / humanist thread. Please be respectful!

We’re here, welcome home :people_hugging:

4 Likes

:black_heart::black_heart::black_heart: so happy to be back!

4 Likes

I’m glad you’re here Annie, together with all of us. We have to do it together, this Recovery thing, just like life in general. Because all we have is each other, and each other is all we need as well. We need each other to learn from each other and to support each other. Good times and bad times. :people_hugging:

6 Likes

This community, these amazing people are the reason why I feel safe, heard and understood. They are why I am able to come back and know that they are going to be here for me :black_heart::black_heart: unfortunately I do not have very many supportive people outside of here so I cling to this group very tightly

8 Likes

10 Likes

You are on an atheist, agnostic and humanist thread. Maybe this isn’t the thread for you? Not sure what you are looking for here. This is the one place on this forum where those of us who identify as such can communicate without mentions of a higher power.

This was directed at a post since deleted. I do feel the need to say that the intent of this thread is to discuss how we work on our recovery and sobriety in connection to each other without a belief in a higher power. Connection and community is where we find our strength.

6 Likes

Indeed. :+1:t3:

3 Likes

Have as good a week as you all can my friends. Hope you’re all OK. We’re in this together. :heart: :people_hugging:

9 Likes

I am an atheist too <3

4 Likes

Welcome to the thread, welcome to the forum and welcome to your sober life Solanine!

2 Likes

I’m an agnostic and consider my true self my higher power. That may sound corny, but it works for me. My true self wants to be the version of me that I present to the world - and he’s sober, kind and well-meaning.

8 Likes

I appreciate you sharing this. Often folks who participate in a 12-step recovery program have trouble conceptualizing a higher power. I’m not in 12-steps but I can relate to working toward authenticity or a better version of myself. I guess I could call it a “true self,” though I think it’s a bit different.

4 Likes

How are you doing, friend?

2 Likes

I’m alright… trying to keep my goals in sight… just feeling very overwhelmed

3 Likes

Hang in there - overwhelm is a tough feeling to “be” with. My PM is open anytime if you need/want to vent or share here, too. Sending you strength, but you’re already one strong lady! :heartpulse:

2 Likes

Glad to hear from you Jess. Sharing the burden can make it feel less huge. Try to stay in contact. We’re here for you, on the forum, on this thread, and in our personal mailbox! :people_hugging:

2 Likes

I appreciate you both so much and yes, I will keep putting my best effort forward. :black_heart::black_heart: the feeling of “drowning” from life is very hard

2 Likes

Try to remember to breathe! Come up for air now and then, even just for a few moments of deep breaths.

2 Likes

I don’t see it like that. I don’t see a purpose or an overall plan from outside. I do believe in working towards personal fulfilment, in doing the best I can and working towards the best person I can be, in practising universal moral principles. I believe that working on a better planet, and on making everybody on this planet happier, on practising kindness and servitude and diminishing the ego will make myself happier. Talk about sounding corny :sunglasses:.

5 Likes

Maybe, but…

IMG_0485

:innocent:

3 Likes